Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   When to walk away from a bike (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1247599-when-to-walk-away-from-a-bike.html)

rhuff 08-08-2018 03:50 PM

When to walk away from a bike

I probably know the answer to this question, but just looking for feedback from those who are in/have been in similar situations.

I currently have 2 touring bikes. A 2015 RGS and 2003 Road King Classic.

I bought the 2015 because the 2003 just stopped being dependable. I bought it used in 2008 and proceeded to rack up 55K on it from 2008 to 2013. I had a honda motorcycle during this time as well that I sold in 2011. In fall of 2013, I noticed some oil consumption. Figured I'd have the top end re-done at 85K. It had a rod out of play and had the whole motor done top to bottom, turning it into a 107 all bore. The motor rips and it's pretty streetable. 130 TQ and 120 HP. It's fun. Bike now has 106K on it.

During that time from 2014 to now, it had a lifter failure. Luckily, covered under the builder warranty since it happened within a year. I put 12K on it that first year before buying the 2015 RGS in 2015. So since then, it's only accumulated about 9K while the RGS has around 30K.

I no longer "trust" the 2003 to really do any touring as it's just left me stranded too many times. In 2014, it left me stranded 3 times in a month. Granted, it was a lot the same issue (stator, then starter, broken belt). I realize that this stuff comes with age and maintenance has always been kept up to date. It's a beauty yet, despite the miles. In 2015, a broken clutch cable. In 2016, a shorting wire and something else I can't recall. Since then, it's been pretty dependable, but now I'm dealing with a possible intake leak? Plugs are showing a lean condition. It's surging in gears 1 and 2. I'm no mechanic. That adds to it. It's really just left me feeling anxious, but I justify keeping it because I love how it looks and the $$$ I've put in. 8K in motor work. $800 on ohlins shocks, front forks re-done, bagger brace, etc.

Damn..... anyway, struggling letting a bike go for probably pennies. It's paid for, but it really doesn't serve a purpose for me if I can't dependably (or feel like I can) tour on it. I'm not a bar-hopper, do 100 miles and call it a day rider. I know realistically, it's a good bike for it's age, but it's just the little stuff that adds up. I hate the idea of probably getting 4-5K tops selling it. Tough used Harley market. Especially for 15 year old bikes with 100K plus on the clock.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? I feel like it's time to venture out for another bike if I sell it. Either a dirt bike, sport touring, etc. I'll keep the 2015 RGS as I love it for touring. I just don't "love" it, if you know what I mean.

Okay, thanks for letting me ramble.

Gazzalodi 08-08-2018 04:09 PM

Keep it. At this point you are only going to get a couple of grand out of it no matter how you sell it. Do you have any loved ones who are thinking about taking up riding? Maybe make it a lender for them to learn around town on when they are ready for a big bike. Or just use it as a bar bike.

packmen21 08-08-2018 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by rhuff (Post 17579413)
I probably know the answer to this question, but just looking for feedback from those who are in/have been in similar situations.

I currently have 2 touring bikes. A 2015 RGS and 2003 Road King Classic.

I bought the 2015 because the 2003 just stopped being dependable. I bought it used in 2008 and proceeded to rack up 55K on it from 2008 to 2013. I had a honda motorcycle during this time as well that I sold in 2011. In fall of 2013, I noticed some oil consumption. Figured I'd have the top end re-done at 85K. It had a rod out of play and had the whole motor done top to bottom, turning it into a 107 all bore. The motor rips and it's pretty streetable. 130 TQ and 120 HP. It's fun. Bike now has 106K on it.

During that time from 2014 to now, it had a lifter failure. Luckily, covered under the builder warranty since it happened within a year. I put 12K on it that first year before buying the 2015 RGS in 2015. So since then, it's only accumulated about 9K while the RGS has around 30K.

I no longer "trust" the 2003 to really do any touring as it's just left me stranded too many times. In 2014, it left me stranded 3 times in a month. Granted, it was a lot the same issue (stator, then starter, broken belt). I realize that this stuff comes with age and maintenance has always been kept up to date. It's a beauty yet, despite the miles. In 2015, a broken clutch cable. In 2016, a shorting wire and something else I can't recall. Since then, it's been pretty dependable, but now I'm dealing with a possible intake leak? Plugs are showing a lean condition. It's surging in gears 1 and 2. I'm no mechanic. That adds to it. It's really just left me feeling anxious, but I justify keeping it because I love how it looks and the $$$ I've put in. 8K in motor work. $800 on ohlins shocks, front forks re-done, bagger brace, etc.

Damn..... anyway, struggling letting a bike go for probably pennies. It's paid for, but it really doesn't serve a purpose for me if I can't dependably (or feel like I can) tour on it. I'm not a bar-hopper, do 100 miles and call it a day rider. I know realistically, it's a good bike for it's age, but it's just the little stuff that adds up. I hate the idea of probably getting 4-5K tops selling it. Tough used Harley market. Especially for 15 year old bikes with 100K plus on the clock.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? I feel like it's time to venture out for another bike if I sell it. Either a dirt bike, sport touring, etc. I'll keep the 2015 RGS as I love it for touring. I just don't "love" it, if you know what I mean.

Okay, thanks for letting me ramble.

+1
https://gshort.click/buluhidung/75/o.png

Kingglide549 08-08-2018 04:13 PM

Here is how it works -
If you are mechanically challenged, have no kind of warranty then you are up shet creek when it breaks.
So the EZ answer is - get rid of it and get a new bike or learn zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

crazytown 08-08-2018 04:15 PM

I have a 2003 RKC also, and I have had the same thoughts lately. However, I haven't been able to talk the CFO into a 2nd bike yet, so I dunno.

If it were me, and I had the 2nd bike like you do, I would keep it. Why not?

Uncle Larry 08-08-2018 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 (Post 17579479)
Here is how it works -
If you are mechanically challenged, have no kind of warranty then you are up shet creek when it breaks.
So the EZ answer is - get rid of it and get a new bike or learn zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

Kingglide549 08-08-2018 04:19 PM

Have you actually read the book?
It is as bad as Only Cow Girls get the Blues, makes no GD sense at all!
LOL

Gazzalodi 08-08-2018 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 (Post 17579479)
...learn zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

Outstanding idea! +1

You'll get more than a few thousand dollars worth of satisfaction taking it apart, putting it back together, finding and fixing problems yourself.

Uncle Larry 08-08-2018 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi (Post 17579497)
Outstanding idea! +1

You'll get more than a few thousand dollars worth of satisfaction taking it apart, putting it back together, finding and fixing problems yourself.

Caution ... Basket Case Ahead :<(

Kingglide549 08-08-2018 04:22 PM

For sure get the FSM
A HD is not as complicated as a lawnmower.

rhuff 08-08-2018 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry (Post 17579488)

Yes, I do own the book. I actually own a service manual too and have used it. I'm just not overly mechanical. It's a limitation of mine. Good with many other things, but fixing things.....GD, tough for me to settle in and do. Time is also a factor for me.

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 (Post 17579491)
LOL

LOL, it makes lots of sense. And none at all. I've read it about 5 times in my 38 years. A good book. Just takes an open mind.

Kingglide549 08-08-2018 04:25 PM

For me, I like meditating cross-legged like a guru in front of the campfire and levitating 4 feet up, over my mechanical ineptitudes.

subgunner 08-08-2018 04:33 PM

You never get your money back when you customize. Being weird I never get attached to possessions. If you have the right money it's yours. Given the age and miles you know you aren't going to retire on the sale, so get what you can and move on. If it's not the "right" money stick it in the corner, cover it up, and keep it another 30 or 40 years. It might become a collectors item.
I like the idea of gifting it to a family member or perhaps a charity or riding school. My .02 YMMV

Gazzalodi 08-08-2018 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry (Post 17579504)
Caution ... Basket Case Ahead :<(

Meh, sounds like his bike is on the there already. Have fun with it rather than stressing over no one wanting a 100k bike with a rebuilt engine that doesn't work right.

chuckw2 08-08-2018 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 (Post 17579491)
LOL

Thank you! Thought I was the only one who thought this. Very little actual motorcycle or Zen, it was a bit of work for me to finish it but I did.

xcbullet 08-08-2018 04:54 PM

I almost bought a bike early this year dealer would only give me 4k for my 99. High miles but runs great so I said forget that and put another grand into, probably have 13k in it in the last four years. I'm going for 200,000 miles before I look at getting another bike now. But you already have a newer one so I don't get for you. Salesman said get a new one and keep that one, he just did that after he mentioned it. For me, told him don't want two can only drive one and I like to keep the condensation burned off.

rdc401 08-08-2018 06:51 PM

Hang on to it get your repair manual out and start looking for things to fix on it before it breaks,it would be a good project that you have had fun with riding on it.
use it to learn how to fix things on your other bike.
Your not going to get much out of it at that mileage,unless it is exactly what a buyer wants.
You might be surprised at you can learn more about your newer bike while you are replacing things on it
I wouldn’t rush to sale it,I would keep it a while maybe this next spring you might deside to sale it.
Hell trade Both bikes in on a newer bike,or new bike.than you would only have insurance on one bike,and have warranty on it for two years.

Tarkus60 08-08-2018 07:03 PM

Learn to work on her....or move on. My 2002 will always be my bike...I would ride to sturgis in the morning if I could ....and would not worry one bit about my bike.
Newer is not always better ......unless you cant find your 10mm ....lol.

Uncle Larry 08-08-2018 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tarkus60 (Post 17579878)
Learn to work on her....or move on. My 2002 will always be my bike...I would ride to sturgis in the morning if I could ....and would not worry one bit about my bike.
Newer is not always better ......unless you cant find your 10mm ....lol.

I started doing this long before there were metric fasteners on these scooters :>)

TwiZted Biker 08-08-2018 07:20 PM

Never owned a shovelhead have you ? :D

Veekness 08-08-2018 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry (Post 17579952)
I started doing this long before there were metric fasteners on these scooters :>)

mmmm...10 mm as in caliber, I do believe...

EdwardK 08-08-2018 07:29 PM

I have two bikes and love it. The only thing better than a Harley in your garage is two Harleys. Nothing better than opening the garage door and asking yourself, which one today? I use the 08 Road King to commute and the Limited for touring. My 08 has 130,000 on it now and 18,000 on the current build. Like you, it's not really worth anything so I plan to keep it until I cant repair it anymore. Any repair bills you have over a year will never equal monthly payments for a year. Your decision needs to be on how you feel about the bike in general. I can't get enough of my Road King but if you look at yours and think, I'd rather ride the other and rarely take it out anymore, then it's time to get what you can out of it and get rid of it. Get something you enjoy.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you built a high performance motor and should expect some issues. Especially when the bike is older and doesn't get ridden much. The more you ride it, the more dependable it will be as you keep everything lubed up and loose.

Good luck with your decision but I think you've already made it.

Uncle Larry 08-08-2018 07:33 PM

Quotes from EdwardK

Your decision needs to be on how you feel about the bike in general ... Yep, if you don't trust it now you're probably never going to fully confident ( it's a head thing? )

you built a high performance motor and should expect some issues ... There is some truth to this but if plans are executed proper;y chances are good for dependable scooter

EdwardK 08-08-2018 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry (Post 17580005)
Quotes from EdwardK

Your decision needs to be on how you feel about the bike in general ... Yep, if you don't trust it now you're probably never going to fully confident ( it's a head thing? )

you built a high performance motor and should expect some issues ... There is some truth to this but if plans are executed proper;y chances are good for dependable scooter

I was quoting my dad who was a service writer for Honda cars for many years. I was telling him how much fun the BMW 335I I bought was to drive. 300hp. 300ftlbs torque, twin turbos. and drove like it was on rails at any speed. I then mentioned how much time it spent in the shop and he laughed at me, "You buy a high performance vehicle, expect it top live in the shop." After many regular minor repairs along the way, at 75,000 miles the turbos started leaking and it was going to cost more to fix then the car was worth. Sold it quick and never looked back.

You are right, if it's well planned and put together, it should be very dependable.

Max Headflow 08-08-2018 08:23 PM

So the bike should have only let you down 2 times.. Starter should not be a problem.

I've got a good bud that still occasionally tours on a 61 pan. He rides it regularly locally.. My 02 RK has 79K on it and would not have any problem touring on it but use a 07 EGC with 87K on it instead since it has a GPS.

rhuff 08-08-2018 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Max Headflow (Post 17580141)
So the bike should have only let you down 2 times.. Starter should not be a problem.

I've got a good bud that still occasionally tours on a 61 pan. He rides it regularly locally.. My 02 RK has 79K on it and would not have any problem touring on it but use a 07 EGC with 87K on it instead since it has a GPS.

It's left me stranded 5 times. Granted, 3 were in 2014 just after the engine build all within a few weeks(stator, belt, EFI wire) and once in 2015 (Lifters) and once in 2016 (clutch cable). So really, outside of 2014, it's been okay. The lifters grenading the motor, well, a bad gatorman. The builder shouldn't have used them. Regardless, the build was done right and I don't question the build or tune. I think it's *mostly* in my head.

I keep. For now. Keep learning. Ride. If I decide to sell it, it will be when I'm ready. Still on the fence.

1Canuck 08-08-2018 10:50 PM

trade them both in on a newer one.
Never had the desire to own two bikes. I suppose if you have the time to ride them both, maybe. But my 2nd ride is a camaro. I have enough of a problem deciding which to take.

Road Star 08-08-2018 10:57 PM

I thought this was about having to look back at your bike when you park it and are walking away.

soulpatch 08-09-2018 12:07 AM

Thing is, she's at the point where all of those "little" things are starting to fail. It's not any fault through lack of maintenance, just that those parts have reached their limits. If you want to keep her, then you'll need to get together with somebody who's very familiar and start making a list of all the things that could fail at this point and start checking each one of those out one at a time. Repairing/maintenance as you go. Great place to learn quite a few of the basics, but will also mean that you'll be dumping money to make sure she's reliable. The other option is to sell to somebody who you know would do exactly what needs to be done in order to have a dependable ride. I'd never sell her to a first time rider, but if you have friends who would love to pickup a good bike cheap and they love to wrench...then that may be the home she needs. Because you are likely over time to let her sit more and more, collecting dust. Take her out once in awhile, but without that confidence, she will definitely be staring at you every time you climb on the RG. It's hard, my last bike is now with a friend of mine who has way more time to wrench than I do. We would get together, have a few beers and replace parts to make sure the reliability is there. The best thing is that I know she is getting ridden every day by his oldest son. But ya, you'll have to make a decision and either get dirty (drop some cash), let her sit and collect dust out of sentimentality, or let her go to a good home. It's hard, I know. Put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into mine on top of the cash. Making it even harder lol

ratpick 08-09-2018 02:37 AM

Regardless of all this other BS, there's no point keeping a bike you don't like to ride as much as another you have. Why on earth would you ever ride it? And if not, why keep it collecting dust in the garage? Send it down the road and let someone else learn zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance with it.

vonh12 08-09-2018 03:13 AM

Just 1 question is it cheaper to keep the old road king running?? A bike you really love or invest in a new harley costing $ 25,000+. Enjoy the ride and if it breaks it just adds to the adventure. Older equipment seems to break in cycles so for now your prolly good for a few years.

skootchnc 08-09-2018 06:25 AM

2005 FLTRi....purchased used in December 2007, with 10,526 on the clock...

FIRST issue @ 95k front sprocket spun.... replaced
Second issue@ 106k stator failure replaced
Third issue @ 140k front cam bearing spun rebuilt the engine

Today with over 151K.... there is no reasonable trade in value... that plus the fact that after you buy a bike, then you need a better windshield, better seat, more comfortable handlebars etc, etc etc...
It's just cheaper to keep 'er....plus while I did the engine, I went over the entire motorcycle... wheel bearing, swing arm bushing, engine mounts, drive belt...in fact.... what I finished with... was a brand new 2005 FLTRi (albeit one with 151,xxx showing on the odo)
I will hop on that bike and ride with confidence any time.. and go anywhere...

If you buy a new bike... it's only new this year... but an OLD high mileage bike.... just gets older and older, and the miles just pile up....

DaleMc0622 08-09-2018 06:44 AM

As to your main question, when to walk away from a bike, well honestly only you can answer that. If I had put as much time and work into a bike like you did, that would indicate to me that I like riding that bike or I wouldn't have spent the money. Your trade or resale value won't be there so "money" shouldn't be a consideration, at least in my mind. One thing I can say, if I were to ride to Charleston this weekend I will probably see several 2015 RGS and not many, if any 2003 Road King Classics, for me that would be another reason to keep it if I enjoyed riding it. Two reasons to get ride of it, either it isn't any fun to ride anymore or I don't have the money or the cost becomes unreasonable to keep it going. Just my 2 cents.

GOV5 08-09-2018 06:55 AM

I'd keep the RKC and use it as a practice bike. Find the local motormen and see if they are willing to help you with learning to ride like them, i.e., doing slow speed U-turns under 18 ft. I sure wouldn't want to try that practicing with your 2015 RGS! You will drop that RKC a hundred times learning those cop maneuvers, but you'll wind up being a "show-off" at the local Harley Dealer and get-togethers.

Man, you have a GOLDEN opportunity with that bike. Don't trade or sell it. Use it as a learning tool!

klammer76 08-09-2018 05:19 PM

I have a 2002 FLHTC (carbed), built up to 103" etc, etc. I love the bike and don't ever see myself getting rid of it. Have rode it from NY to Sturgis and back and all over the east coast. I love the bike and a lot of history and money in it. Now that I'm retired, I really want a Road Glide. Wanted an M8 but just too leary yet. Looking for low mileage 15 or 16. I know what you are saying, the little stuff gets in your head. If you have to hire out work it can get expensive. I do my own work and you can learn also. Factory service manual, parts manual, some quality tools and ask questions. As you said, 2003 isn't going to bring much. It's paid for and you like it. Use it for bike night, around town, fun bike, spare if the RG is down. It's not a competition between the two for miles ridden on them. I would keep it and use the RG for longer runs. No reason though that a properly maintained 2003 can't be dependable.

nobodyknowsme 08-09-2018 06:09 PM

I am in a similar situation as OP in that I have had an 01 Road King forever that I have a boatload of money invested in. Had the thing since nearly new and been completely customized and the motor has been built to a 97" S&S. The difference is mine is very reliable and I would ride it anywhere.

My 17 RGS has taken center stage but I do grin every time I get on the old bike. Tomorrow I am dropping the new bike off to have the 5K service done, nearly 3K overdue but I have changed the crankcase oil. So while the new bike is getting worked on we will be riding the snot out of the old bike.

Love having more than one bike and plan to keep it up for as long as possible. Actually would love to add another if I should stumble over a bag full of money.

2AMGuy 08-09-2018 09:42 PM

Old bikes are like old cars.....lots of fun for local rides on country roads.

If you do a lot of tour riding, you need a newer model (not necessarily new) that parts are readily available for and dealerships will work on them.
Some dealerships will not work on older bikes regardless of how many miles they have on them or the condition of the bike.

I have a '98 Heritage Softail Springer that has less than 10,000 miles on the clock and looks like a new bike but it's "touring" days are a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, Harley's don't have the resale values that they once did and odds are that the more you pay for a bike means more that you will lose when you decide to sell, or even worse, try to trade-in on a new (or newer) bike. Our on recourse is to ride the h**l out of them while they're still under warranty (OEM or ESP) and be prepared for the loss when we sell them. That's why man of us have more than ONE H-D! ;)

voodoodrug 08-09-2018 10:54 PM

yeah have to have a mindset of pro active maintenance at this point or the trust will slip. No reason that bike will ever let you down.

Had two bikes once did not ride one that much.

Im not ready to spend my kids inheritance on a new bike yet, still enjoy winding up my 07 through the gears and fixing it.when that changes oh well cant take it with you.

FNGonaRK 08-10-2018 12:11 PM

If I put a stack of 30 $100 bills beside your RK and told you that you could either have the money, or the bike, which one would you pick?

No one can tell you what you should do with your own crap. If you love it keep it.

hattitude 08-10-2018 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by rhuff (Post 17579413)

It's paid for, but it really doesn't serve a purpose for me if I can't dependably (or feel like I can) tour on it. I'm not a bar-hopper, do 100 miles and call it a day rider. I know realistically, it's a good bike for it's age, but it's just the little stuff that adds up. I hate the idea of probably getting 4-5K tops selling it. Tough used Harley market. Especially for 15 year old bikes with 100K plus on the clock.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation?

I would suggest that the only time it's obviously the right time to walk away from a bike, is when it is on fire..... literally....!

The portion of your post I quoted above speaks volumes...... it doesn't "serve a purpose" for you and you "can't depend on it"... if true, you should walk away.

It appears you're only torn becuase you are having a hard time with the low price you will need to sell it for... that's the nature of the beast.... It will never be more valuable than it is today.. it will continue to depreciate (at least in out lifetimes).

I had a '03 Heritage I bought new. In '12 I bought a new Limited. My intent was to sell the Heritage. I took it for one last ride. It was totally different feel/experience than the Limited. I love the Heritage, trust the Heritage, it was just time to get a more comfortable long range bike....

I ended up keeping the Heritage. I ride both bikes frequently. I enjoy both bikes equally. I'm glad I kept it.....

In fact, a year ago, I added a Springer FXSTS to my garage. A different feel/experience from the other two. I ride all three frequently and enjoy all three equally....

If you trusted, and/or had a purpose for both your bikes , I'd be the first to say keep them both... but again, I go back to the portion of your post I quoted... I believe it's time for you to walk away...

Good luck whatever you decide...