Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day 2 New Bike and I Scratched it Nicely

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 05:34 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Musician
Well,crap. Your only choice here is to sell it, and buy a new one, without the scratches. This one will never run right, now. Plus, it'll never forgive you.
Ha! Yes. I had better re-install my Gremlin Bell...maybe they fonally got me when I was least expecting it (parked)!

Old 10-13-2018, 05:46 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 298 Likes on 243 Posts

ouch that sux. I would look for used lid or run it by a shop and see what they would charge. I wouldn't expect it to be too bad. good luck it happens to us all. Black touch up paint would hide it for the time being.

Last edited by svarnster; 10-13-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:54 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,485 Likes on 1,543 Posts

E-Bay has lids and is an easy find if it's black.

The following users liked this post:
sgnden (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 06:04 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,959 Likes on 2,177 Posts

After the first one, the others won’t hurt as much. Don’t ask me how I know.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:05 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Is it true that HD paint is proprietary and not sold as a part number available over the counter?

A friend of mine had a standing still drop on a tricky, unlevel, steep downhill driveway and road rashed his right hand bag on his RGS. He asked his dealer about painting and the dealer suggested buying a new bag stating the paint wasn't available. This is on one of those pretty red ones that are almost a common as the black ones. First time I ever heard that.

Last edited by oldhippie; 10-13-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-13-2018, 06:55 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Yeah, it sucks and happens, to most of us. Wife scuffed the right lid with her boot. Couple weeks ago I had a brain fart and dropped the bike, then yesterday I noticed a dent in the tank that I have no idea how it got there. Oh yeah, a few months ago my fender nut came out and scratched the fender pretty good. And this is all to my new bike that I have had just over a year. But as mentioned, there are plenty of bag lids available and I see them on ebay regularly. Best of luck but don't let it eat away at ya.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:31 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 39,622 Likes on 10,338 Posts

Every scratch has a story behind it.
Wear it with pride.

Last edited by ShovelEd; 10-13-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:59 PM
preacherbo
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a left lid in vivid black (not mine, BTW). If you want a quick fix, here it is:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davi...Cnu:rk:42:pf:0

Old 10-13-2018, 08:28 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Is it true that HD paint is proprietary and not sold as a part number available over the counter?

A friend of mine had a standing still drop on a tricky, unlevel, steep downhill driveway and road rashed his right hand bag on his RGS. He asked his dealer about painting and the dealer suggested buying a new bag stating the paint wasn't available. This is on one of those pretty red ones that are almost a common as the black ones. First time I ever heard that.
Only some colors are restricted. Particularly the CVO colors.
My body guy got the paint for mine at a PPG store I believe. They're not inexpensive though... Two small pints were half the cost of the job.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:57 PM
rock2r
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you go to a pro body shop/painter this is worth a try:
Go to your local autobody/paint supply house and have them mix you up a (1) rattle can of the base color (assuming vivid black but hard to tell from the pics).
They will have the correct mix formula on file.
Also have them sell you a (1) rattle can of automotive clearcoat. These professional mixed rattle cans lay down a very nice coat of paint-not like the hardware store paint spray cans do.
Take some 400 grit sandpaper and sand your damaged lid until the scuffs are "leveled" out.
Clean off the lid with a lint free cloth using rubbing alcohol.
Spray a coat of gray primer over the lid-complete coverage-ok to use regular auto parts store primer in a rattle can for this.
Sand the primer with 600 grit until smooth.
Clean again wit lint free cloth
Now spray (3 coats) of your mixed base color allowing 15 minutes for each coat to flash....wear a respirator for this task.
Let the base coat paint job cure 24 hrs. Sand out and dust marks (or bugs) with 2000 grit and water.
Dry off thoroughly with lint free cloth.
Apply (3) coats of clear making sure that the coats have a "wet" look to them. Allow for flash time between coats.
If there is dust in the final clear coat you can wet sand that out with 3000 grit after the clear dries completely.
Finish with some polish-BY HAND.
Do not wax it for (2) weeks.
Paint and clear coat should run you about $15 per can-so $30 plus sandpaper and primer.
Easy Fix for just the lid. Can always put T-Bag lid covers over them for protection-or to hide defects in the future.
You could have somebody handle the job for you-thinking $250 or so.

Quick Reply: Day 2 New Bike and I Scratched it Nicely