Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

charging system problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:09 PM
Miker7
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging system problems

I have an 03 lowrider with a charging issue. 3 years back I replaced rotor/stator, rec/reg and battery to restore charging voltage.
The rotor had a broken magnet but all other components were original and replaced as a matter of course.
Recently the bike began breaking down (missing) under hard throttle. Battery voltage of ~ 12.4vdc with bike running. Battery voltage dropped below 9vdc while cranking so replaced with 20ah 310 CCA AGM battery to assure
I had a healthy battery. Now cranking voltage doesnt drp below 10.2 vdc but charging voltage is still "0".
Stator to ground test passed with no short orground resistance between either field lead and a chassis ground.

With engine off, separated the rec/reg input plug from stator output and started bike. Read ~16-20Vac/1000 rpm with a starting reading of 18 @ 1000 up to 58Vac @ 3000
so plenty of source voltage.

Static diode test of rectifier passed with .5v ohm nreadings on Fluke DVM from red to rectifier ground lead and black to either AC input lead.
and infinite resistance reversing the leads.

Ground continuity checked good from chassis/engine back to battery

Decided to replace the rect/reg with new part. Just installed it and have the exact same results.
This isn't rocket science and simple logic lead me to think the regulator could still be bad
under dynamic testing. Stator still putting out amost 20 Vac per 1000 rpm.

Any ideas? The only thing that hasnt been replaced is the stator/rotor assy.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:17 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Any ideas? Yes, go to the Tech Electrical section, where you will find a couple of Stickies on checking your charging system. Follow them, which should help you diagnose the source of your problems. Simply replacing stuff doesn't always get things done, so let us know what you find.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:44 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

It sounds like all should be good. You mentioned that you have continuity on the ground side. What about on the positive side? Just because your multimeter shows continuity there may not be enough capacity to let the current through. I would be sure the ground wire running from the voltage regulator is good at both ends. I would also ensure it hasn't gotten worn or cut nearly through at some point along the way. I would do the same for the positive wire as well.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:25 PM
Miker7
4th Gear

Thanks for the advise! The positive and negative leads out of the new regulator are in mint shape with no splicing, frays or insulation cuts. Good mechanical connections throughout. Has anyone out there bench tested the Rect/reg or run into anything else not already covered. Current condition is 1) New and fully charged battery, 2) New regulator, 3) Good electrical / mechanical connections and 4) Strong AC source voltage present.
Thanks again

Old 11-21-2018, 08:36 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Looks to me like you have a good charging system. Perhaps your bikes demand is more than your charging system can provide? What components are on your bike? Are all of them functioning correctly.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:28 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

When you did your stator to ground test, did you verify you had a good ground first? Putting the negative meter lead on a bolt head or other frame location may not necessarily be a good ground.

I just had to replace everything on my 08 RKC. Mine passed all the tests but the voltages were low and different across the stator leads. So I took it to my indy who said the stator failed and fried the regulator.

This doesn't fit all failures but my experience is that low voltage issues usually point to the stator and high voltage the regulator. And when the stator goes, it usually takes out the regulator with it. This is my second full replacement of the charging system and one other time I got lucky with a regulator only. Mine has 136,000 miles on it.

Good luck.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:41 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

My thought is you are complicating you info with a lot of detail not necessary. Check all output at 2000 RPM test range for book ratings.

Your 3000 high AC seems little high but not a concern but your 1000 seems a little low when hooked to battery thru regulator.

My guess is your regulator is still bad or you have high resistance to the battery connections. Or the battery is bad with internal shorts. I would start at battery.

When you check stator, always check the 2 or 3 wires with ohm to frame ground (zero) which you did but also check the ohm reistance to each other but you need service manual spec for this info. Is your stator 3 wire or two?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-22-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:16 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Had a charging issue with my 07 last year. I went as far as changing the regulator and stator. I cleaned all the grounds. It turned out to be cheap assed batteries, one from WalMart, one from Oreilly. I used the Deca from the TriGlide and it straightened out. I went and got a factory battery and everything has been fine since. You get what you pay for.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:03 PM
Miker7
4th Gear

All input appreciated! Always good not to skimp unknown 3rd party gear especially on critical systems. Didn't want to bog down discussion with any unnecessary detail spew... just wanted to provide good info for good feedback. Charging system is the stock 32 A ""split" single phase type with 2 field wires only as output.
With the stator feed disconnected from the REC/REG I saw an expected AC voltage value of ~37Vac @ 2000 rpm.
Bike shut down, REG/REG reconnected and with bike running, voltage dropped to 14 Vac between stator output leads. That value doesn't provide enough potential to drive a regulated DC output. A static resistance test with Fluke multimeter between output wires after about 30 seconds drops from .01 to .00 ohms. That seems to indicate an internal short between windings. Everything tested good following AC output test procedures posted. Testing AC output with the regulator in line turned up the problem.
Gonna throw down on 3 phase charging system!

Old 11-22-2018, 01:27 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Miker7
All input appreciated! Always good not to skimp unknown 3rd party gear especially on critical systems. Didn't want to bog down discussion with any unnecessary detail spew... just wanted to provide good info for good feedback. Charging system is the stock 32 A ""split" single phase type with 2 field wires only as output.
With the stator feed disconnected from the REC/REG I saw an expected AC voltage value of ~37Vac @ 2000 rpm.
Bike shut down, REG/REG reconnected and with bike running, voltage dropped to 14 Vac between stator output leads. That value doesn't provide enough potential to drive a regulated DC output. A static resistance test with Fluke multimeter between output wires after about 30 seconds drops from .01 to .00 ohms. That seems to indicate an internal short between windings. Everything tested good following AC output test procedures posted. Testing AC output with the regulator in line turned up the problem.
Gonna throw down on 3 phase charging system!
This is correct...... With the stator feed disconnected from the REC/ REG I saw an expected AC voltage value of ~37Vac @ 2000 rpm.

Need to check resistance at R1X off stator leads before you condemn that running output connected to regulator and battery. Need manual for that for resistance.. I would do that even if I went to 3 phase.
system. Battery needs to be charged with no short before AC and DC are correct at 2000 RPM test. I have a 2003 Dyna service manual but not the diagnostic manual for that resistance. Appears you also have a connection on the primary cover which can go bad from corrosion.
  1. Generic Specs:
  • 22 amp system produces about 0.2 to 0.4 ohms
  • 32 amp system produces about 0.1 to 0.2 ohms
  • 45 amp system produces about 0.1 to 0.2 ohms

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-22-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: charging system problems