Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody pay to have their Forks swapped?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:48 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
for both sides on a Batwing? ... that's pretty optimistic
lol no, I’m not that optimistic. 1 hour per 1 fork

The following 2 users liked this post by purpledeuce:
Circa58 (12-23-2018), Uncle Larry (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 09:24 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,143 Likes on 765 Posts

I just did my road glide. I removed my forks and my indy changed the internals. I also had the front wheel and rotors powder coated. I bought the Motion Pro socket for the top of the forks, I would recommend that for $12, or borrow one.
I had my indy do the fork internal change due to time, basketball season. The biggest PIA was the ignition switch. Had to break out the flat screwdriver to get it back in

The following users liked this post:
Circa58 (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 11:37 AM
Circa58
Club Member
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
I just did my road glide. I removed my forks and my indy changed the internals. I also had the front wheel and rotors powder coated. I bought the Motion Pro socket for the top of the forks, I would recommend that for $12, or borrow one.
I had my indy do the fork internal change due to time, basketball season. The biggest PIA was the ignition switch. Had to break out the flat screwdriver to get it back in

Thanks, I have the Fork Seal Driver set from when we rebuilt my sons Dirt Bike forks, and I have full set of Allen Drive sockets. But I love buying tools and I looked at the Jims Fork Cap tool but I can make one on the mill this winter for free so I will do that in my spare time.:-)

Old 12-23-2018, 01:10 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 298 Likes on 243 Posts

I made the fork tool out of pvc that I slightly ground the edge to make it fit. forks are not bad just take your time and take pictures so as to know how it goes back together. I did mine when fork seal started leaking so I upgraded to chrome lowers and installed new seals.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:39 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Circa58
I think I will do this myself, I have watched a bunch of videos, I own a manual, so this will be a spring project,

AND Yes, I will get the ***** Shiny parts, thank you for that recommendation as well.

Before I got my first HD, I have built several Corvette and other engines, and I'm a machinist . M.E. by trade so with the money i save i can buy the Progressive Mono tube suspension kit
i recommend not doing this job twice. do the monotones at the same time and it won't be as difficult. when i did my 2010, i did most of the job in less than 2 hrs. the part that took the other 4 hrs (at least) was getting the fork cap screw started. i tried so many ways to do it, and by the time i was done, the palms of my hands looked like hamburger. and i was wearing wearing gloves with gel inserts. with the monotubes, you won't have as much spring pressure working against you putting that cap back on.

and, another ***** shiny satisfied customer here.

Circa58 (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 04:28 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,887 Likes on 18,607 Posts

Originally Posted by svarnster
I made the fork tool out of pvc that I slightly ground the edge to make it fit. forks are not bad just take your time and take pictures so as to know how it goes back together. I did mine when fork seal started leaking so I upgraded to chrome lowers and installed new seals.
Yep PVC works ... and I use to use the swagger on the shop tubing bender to make them out of scrap exhaust tubing ... quick and easy too

Circa58 (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 08:07 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,143 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i recommend not doing this job twice. do the monotones at the same time and it won't be as difficult. when i did my 2010, i did most of the job in less than 2 hrs. the part that took the other 4 hrs (at least) was getting the fork cap screw started. i tried so many ways to do it, and by the time i was done, the palms of my hands looked like hamburger. and i was wearing wearing gloves with gel inserts. with the monotubes, you won't have as much spring pressure working against you putting that cap back on.

and, another ***** shiny satisfied customer here.
Mine had the monotubes previously, then swapped to the new ones. I would have liked to have done it myself but during this time of the year its just not happening.

As for cutting a socket, I guess it would work. I love buying tools also, but Im not cutting a snap on socket. I'd cut a HF one though. Just got a brand new display set of knuckle savers, made before the buyout of mac, metric set. They are really nice.

Circa58 (12-23-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Circa58
Club Member
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts

the plan is to do the monotubes, and install the ***** Shiny Forks,,,,,going in once, I watched a few videos, looks like a very straight forward deal without a need for special tools, we rebuilt my sons KX250 dirt bike engine and boy oh boy, I could not believe how many special tools were required to get it apart and back together. As mentioned, we rebuilt his for tube as well and it was messy, but not difficult. I can post pics if necessary but YouTube has a couple of good vids to watch that are pretty good

Old 12-24-2018, 12:37 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 828 Posts

The only thing I had to have done was compress one of the springs, I did the HD premium low cartridge but just couldn't get the one side compressed to get the cap on. Took to local HD and they charged 1/2 hour $45.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:56 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

I will echo others here. Do the suspension upgrade while you have them off, it's worth it

Quick Reply: Anybody pay to have their Forks swapped?