Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious about Ohlins sag adjustment not increasing sag

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 02:12 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Curious about Ohlins sag adjustment not increasing sag

I have a new set of Howard's 2-2b shocks. These are the basic ones that only have sag adjustment. I do understand all about how to set sag. Howard included the correct spring, I assume, for my weight: 180 lbs. I believe it is 25 Nm, but the Ohlins written designation (00281 68/25 L1518) on the spring makes little sense to me and I cannot find a good interpretation online.

Observing the proper procedure, I began to lessen preload to get my 1" sag. I understand each full turn only results in about a 1.5 mm change. After about four turns I determined using the zip tie approach that my sag was not dropping farther. I tried a couple more upward turns and measured no more change.

I intend to ride with these new shocks set at wherever the preload is now and see if I am at the correct full stroke or bottoming. I do expect to make further adjustments. I just wonder if anyone else experienced what I have described: seemingly an end to the point where the shocks allow further sag increase.

Thank you.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:31 PM
joe buck
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-01-2019, 04:18 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts
Old 01-01-2019, 04:27 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

What the **** are those goofy icons supposed to represent? If you cannot write English or simply have nothing to say, why respond at all?

Old 01-01-2019, 05:04 PM
goldie
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Just grab a friend for a few minutes and measure it with you sitting on it. Give it a couple bounces. Then you you its done right.....goldie

Old 01-02-2019, 04:11 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore
I have a new set of Howard's 2-2b shocks. These are the basic ones that only have sag adjustment. I do understand all about how to set sag. Howard included the correct spring, I assume, for my weight: 180 lbs. I believe it is 25 Nm, but the Ohlins written designation (00281 68/25 L1518) on the spring makes little sense to me and I cannot find a good interpretation online.

Observing the proper procedure, I began to lessen preload to get my 1" sag. I understand each full turn only results in about a 1.5 mm change. After about four turns I determined using the zip tie approach that my sag was not dropping farther. I tried a couple more upward turns and measured no more change.

I intend to ride with these new shocks set at wherever the preload is now and see if I am at the correct full stroke or bottoming. I do expect to make further adjustments. I just wonder if anyone else experienced what I have described: seemingly an end to the point where the shocks allow further sag increase.

Thank you.
Call Howard.

Last edited by tbob; 01-02-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:08 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Each turn of the adjuster will raise or lower the spring the exact distance of the thread pitch. The bike will move almost identically, but owing to mounting points on the swing arm, there will be a little difference.

Moving the locking ring will not change anything, you need to be moving the adjuster, which is the one the spring is riding on. I'm sure you know this, but sometimes we can all get distracted and make an oops.

You really want to move the adjuster with the least load on it possible. Jacking the bike and letting the tail hang is about the least load you can generically get. True, compressing the spring is even better, but that's usually beyond the scope.

Anyhow, since the spring(s) are what holds the bike up, adjusting both springs will result in the bike going up and down. Only if the bike is sitting bottomed out on the jack or such would the bike quit going down with the adjusters being moved towards the eye end of the shock. But, looking for trace amounts of change (as in a mm), that can easily be lost in the noise.

The following users liked this post:
albngore (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 05:23 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,736 Likes on 2,401 Posts

What am I missing here?

Sag is with you sitting on the bike. I am guessing you put a zip tie on the damper and after sitting on the bike you are expecting it to be an inch lower? You reduce the preload on the spring but the zip tie isn't moving down the damper any more?

So either you are not adjusting the preload or you are but the spring rate is wrong for your combined weight.

Can you find a friend who can hold a measure against the bike whilst you sit on it?

albngore (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 05:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by albngore
What the **** are those goofy icons supposed to represent? If you cannot write English or simply have nothing to say, why respond at all?
You're asking a pretty goofy question! Howard's #3-3 here, bought about ten years ago. Sag is measured while you are sitting on your bike, not something that is easy to do on your own unless you are a contortionist. If you are attempting this alone then find a pal to assist.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Why are you asking us? You might get a right answer, you might get Mayhem answering your questions.

You bought the shocks from Howard, so ask Howard. Howard literally has the best customer service on earth (if you can handle his crustiness).

I once called him at 1000 on a Sunday, I start off with "sorry to bother you on a Sunday morning". His reply was "...didn't I tell you to call me anytime?". I answered "well yes". and he said "so what do you need..."

In my book, customer service doesn't get much better.....

nytryder (01-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Curious about Ohlins sag adjustment not increasing sag