Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about coming back to a touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:30 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Thinking about coming back to a touring bike

I had a road glide previously and traded it in on a dyna lowrider s. I had bad ankle troubles and was worried about having surgery and not being able to lift the bike anymore and let alone being down from work. I love the bike and all but lately I've been missing the glide a lot. Couple buddies at the dealership let me know they have a used 16 special with 3k miles that's immaculate and a 17 standandard road glide with 500 miles they aren't asking much for either with the 19s being the "hot ticket". Going in a few days to test drive and see if I truly miss the touring frame or am happy with the little hot rod dyna I have currently. My wife cant ride too long on the dyna with a hip problem she has and was more comfortable on the bike. But at the same time I'll catch the riot act with a new bike after the time I've put in this one. See I dont leave anything stock. Oh well time will tell what I do.
these are my current and previous.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:25 PM
teal379
Tourer
Received 171 Likes on 92 Posts

Had a dyna, brother has a sportster I get time on.

I'll never ever leave the touring line up. Road King being the best of all worlds for me. Stripped down bar hopper and touring comfort with just a windshield and easier throttle hand.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:01 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had TWO TOTAL KNEE replacements and never once did I consider selling my touring bikes. Do your therapy and get that ankle strengthened up and ride the touring bike of your choice. Even your wife with the a bad hip will appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:06 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

All I can say is life is short, brother. Enjoy it while you can.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:19 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I can't imagine going backwards but you did that already and you are asking the forum members for thoughts.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:38 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Let us know which one you get.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:42 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I just switched from a Dyna to a Road King and wish I would have done it years ago. I'll never go without a touring bike now and will probably spend the rest of my life owning a Road King.

The following users liked this post:
Shifu1985 (02-05-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 02:46 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

My opinion?

If you're doing any serious riding, a touring bike is the way to go, no doubt. It's far more comfy, and can haul all your **** with little effort, but can also just take a short ride to work or the bar or whatever floats your boat.

If all you want is a bar hopper, I'd just keep what you have.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:01 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 141 Posts

The 110 in my dyna has a good bit of work in it and is a bit of a monster as it is but I also find myself pushing it and riding harder than I ever did with my road glide. Both are fun bikes in their own merit. If I had room/money for both I'd have both I do not. I know most people opinions in this forum will be go touring and most in dyna section would be stay dyna. We all tend to love the bike we have most. My test ride will let me know which way I will go. That and talking with the wife since the last 4 bikes I didnt ask opinions I just did. So figured I'd try something different this go around. My biggest dilemma would be m8 or twin cam. I know how to work on a twin cam I have barely ever even looked at a m8. I am a creature of habit fairly bad so that will probably keep me looking at a twin cam. Only time and figures will tell. And definitely believe there will be pictures if I do.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:06 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by CryingJoker
The 110 in my dyna has a good bit of work in it and is a bit of a monster as it is but I also find myself pushing it and riding harder than I ever did with my road glide. Both are fun bikes in their own merit. If I had room/money for both I'd have both I do not. I know most people opinions in this forum will be go touring and most in dyna section would be stay dyna. We all tend to love the bike we have most. My test ride will let me know which way I will go. That and talking with the wife since the last 4 bikes I didnt ask opinions I just did. So figured I'd try something different this go around. My biggest dilemma would be m8 or twin cam. I know how to work on a twin cam I have barely ever even looked at a m8. I am a creature of habit fairly bad so that will probably keep me looking at a twin cam. Only time and figures will tell. And definitely believe there will be pictures if I do.
The M8 has more horsepower potential, and better resale value, but I love my 2016 Twinkie. It's been absolutely bulletproof.

Quick Reply: Thinking about coming back to a touring bike