Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 Road King Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 02:09 PM
FatKen
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 18 Road King Questions

Probably been asked but I couldn't find info. I want to put the J.W. speaker 8700 headlight on my new bike does anyone know if I need the headlight wiring harness? also going to need some wind deflection anybody have suggestions on a fairing or windshields....pics would always be good to look at. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Can't speak for the headlight, but if you don't have them already, you'll need the hardware to install a windshield. H-D has them in black for your RKS. The spots might be a good idea also as they provide better light coverage at night with the headlight.They also come in black.

Once you have the necessary hardware, Long Ride Shields is popular here, and they have great sales all the time, especially at holidays. Clearview shields is also an option.

Popular fairing choices are Reckless and Dead Center. Reckless says to use their grommets, but Dead Center is plug-n-play. Both you can get in plain-Jane or with audio options. Their web sites have some picks for ideas.

Last edited by Ex-Leftcoaster; 02-03-2019 at 03:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FatKen (02-03-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,687 Likes on 826 Posts

When I first got my roadking, I bought some "fangs" the fork deflectors. They work great. I since bought lowers and not as much protection, but look cooler.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Idahoboi
Tourer

Received 385 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by FatKen
Probably been asked but I couldn't find info. I want to put the J.W. speaker 8700 headlight on my new bike does anyone know if I need the headlight wiring harness? also going to need some wind deflection anybody have suggestions on a fairing or windshields....pics would always be good to look at. Thanks in advance.
Ken, I just purchased new headlights for my 2018 Road King as well. You WILL need a harness adapter for any LED manufacturer you purchase from as far as I can tell. I ended up going with the 7" Probeam (+4.5" passing lamps also) from Custom Dynamics and I had to purchase the adapter for the 2014-2018 touring models. Installing them tomorrow.

When I purchased my bike in August the first thing I added was the HD wind deflectors and I can tell you they work really well. I'm kind of a pansy when it comes to riding in colder weather (40° and below) and I never get uncomfortable with the "fangs" and stock windshield. Next to the Custom Dynamic LEDs, they are the best thing I've added to my bike.

Last edited by Idahoboi; 02-04-2019 at 01:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
todd-67 (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 07:00 PM
FatKen
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Idahoboi
Ken, I just purchased new headlights for my 2018 Road King as well. You WILL need a harness adapter for any LED manufacturer you purchase from as far as I can tell. I ended up going with the 7" Probeam (+4.5" passing lamps also) from Custom Dynamics and I had to purchase the adapter for the 2014-2018 touring models. Installing them tomorrow.

When I purchased my bike in August the first thing I added was the HD wind deflectors and I can tell you they work really well. I'm kind of a pansy when it comes to riding in colder weather (40° and below) and I never get uncomfortable with the "fangs" and stock windshield. Next to the Custom Dynamic LEDs, they are the best thing I've added to my bike.

Looks good thanks for the advice.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:14 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Do you leave the "fangs" on year 'round, or just during the colder months? Are the ready on off? I've been considering a pair.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Idahoboi
Tourer

I leave mine on all year round. I've read that without them, there is buffeting around your head. I wouldn't know since I've had them on since day-one buying the bike. They are easy to take on/off, they are just bolted on (2 each side I believe).

Last edited by Idahoboi; 02-05-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:42 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I leave mine on all year round. I've read that without them, there is buffeting around your head. I wouldn't know since I've had them on since day-one buying the bike. They are easy to take on/off, they are just bolted on (2 each side I believe).
Thanks, one more question. Are those front turn signals an integrated unit or just lens covers? I like the look and just recently put Custom Dynamics LED's in and I'm looking to improve the look.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:56 AM
Idahoboi
Tourer

They are the ProBEAM® Flat Bezel Dynamic Ringz™ LED Turn Signals. Very pleased with them. Here's a link: https://www.customdynamics.com/probe...-signals?cat=2

The following 2 users liked this post by Idahoboi:
Custom Dynamics (02-05-2019), tcatnat (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Custom Dynamics
Sponsor
Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tcatnat
Thanks, one more question. Are those front turn signals an integrated unit or just lens covers? I like the look and just recently put Custom Dynamics LED's in and I'm looking to improve the look.
They are the ProBEAM® Flat Bezel Dynamic Ringz™ LED Turn Signals. Very pleased with them. Here's a link: https://www.customdynamics.com/probe...-signals?cat=2
The ProBEAM inserts are modular, too, so if you already have the ProBEAM inserts, you can just buy the Flat Bezel adapters separately and add the inserts.
https://www.customdynamics.com/probe...ignal-adapters

sales@customdynamics.com
https://www.customdynamics.com
http://blog.customdynamics.com

Review Custom Dynamics
Phone: 800-382-1388

Quick Reply: 18 Road King Questions