Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

show me your phone or gadget mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:36 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 615 Posts
Default show me your phone or gadget mount

I need some help from all of you that use your phone or have a gps or something similar.

I am looking for ideas for mounts/holder for my phone that does not involve clamping to the handlebar. 08 ultra. I am not against putting a hole in my inner fairing to mount something so please show your stuff.

I have been searching through pages and pages trying to find ideas and so far not much that I have found in the posts.

I really don't want to clamp to the bars. I would prefer something that mounts on the fairing somehow so that when I tether my phone to the stereo or have the charger plugged in I know that the cords are all secure. I am interested in the actual cradle for the device as well as your solution for the base to mount to the bike. I am also not afraid of making something but I just haven't had an idea strike me for the perfect solution.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:51 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,251 Likes on 814 Posts

Ram mount cradles are the most secure thing I've found for the various GPS's, phones, roll chart holder and such. BUT...they are very item specific. That's fine with the GPS, not so fine with a phone in a case. They are so secure though that I have considered getting one for my phone and taking it out of its case for mounting on the bike.

I do have a Kuryakyn Tech-Connect that I use for my phone. Since I can screw it down tightly, it hold the phone tightly. I've got to watch where the buttons are on the phone. The swivel socket mount allows the phone to droop, especially on rough roads. Forget to put something in it and in just a few minutes it will shake itself apart and fall off the bike.

Ram mount swivels are so secure in their position locking that I would far prefer this as a base. Even though I find the arm itself ugly.

I can and have gone beating down dirt roads and over baby heads for miles on end (resulting in broken spokes and cracked wheels), without ever having the GPS or such come out of the ram mount cradle. They are that secure.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

When I first mounted a gps I used a handlebar mount and the only sensible place for it was off to the right, so that I could read it as well as the bike's main instruments. What I didn't consider, or realise until later, is that while carrying my wife she could read the gps over my shoulder. That has proved great, as she can help navigate, especially in heavy traffic or on difficult roads, giving me prompts over the intercom. We wouldn't be without that now!

So if you carry Mrs C, give location some thought, also where you might mount on the batwing so it doesn't block the view of something else.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:44 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

I like the RAM mounts. But, when I forget to put mine on. I use this.

The following 2 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
Bafflingbs (04-08-2019), LH1965 (03-08-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

I just got my stuff yesterday from Rokform. It's very well made.

While I haven't mounted it yet, my buddy has it on his SG and it's very solid. And, depending on what style you choose, it could end up being pretty inconspicuous and not stand out like a sore thumb.

For me, I wanted to mount my phone to have GPS when needed, but also I listen exclusively to digital music - Pandora or iTunes.

I shamefully admit to having spent far too many hours sifting through threads like this, and various manufacturers' websites trying to figure out how to add a mount that wouldn't look like crap when my phone wasn't on it. I looked at Rokform for a while as well, and ultimately after my buddy ordered his, I was convinced this was the best compromise of form and function. Best part is that I was able to grab a suction cup mount that uses the same twist-lock mount on the phone to use in my Rzr so I have tunes and GPS on the trails too.

I don't care how great Ram Mounts are - they're f'n ugly and cumbersome. No way do I want that ugly@$$ cradle on my bike with all sorts of mounting arms and *****/sockets looking all cluttered.

Last edited by Redbeard719; 02-28-2019 at 12:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
moto67e (04-15-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

And to add - The size of phones these days are getting larger and larger. I also had an Iron Aces Speedshop Mount for my Road Glide. It's an excellent quality piece.

But - like I said, the size of phones today would have made it so that my iPhone would have ended up blocking half of my speedo and tach. I ended up selling the mount as I never even mounted it. Oh well.

I'm no paid shill, but Rokform does have mounts that might be able to be added to your fairing either with VHB automotive tape or metal fasteners of your choice.

This is an example of one I was considering attaching to the Iron Aces mount before I sold it.

https://www.rokform.com/collections/...car-dash-mount

If you do end up ordering from there, I recommend you install "Honey" as an add-on to your browser. As soon as you go to check out, Honey will open telling you that coupon codes have been found, and then will apply the best one. It does it for many sites, so it's handy to have, and I can't believe I didn't know about it with as much online-shopping as I do.

My buddy ended up saving 40% that way, and I saved 30%. The savings helped push me over the edge and get over the cost.

The following users liked this post:
moto67e (04-15-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:23 PM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,464 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I mount my Rammount on my softail and Sportster on the handlebar clamp. I know you said you did not like that, but I found it works well with wires and it is in a spot I look at for my gauges. I do hate it on the bars near the hand controls.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:37 PM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

A buddy has this mount on his Ultra fairing...
T & T Fabrications

Old 02-28-2019, 12:49 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ex-Leftcoaster
T & T Fabrications
That mount is similar to the Iron Aces Mount for the batwings. Same location too.

There are two problems that I see what a mount like that -

1. One still needs a cradle which depending on one's choice would be hideous.
2. If you mount your phone in portrait orientation (for Apple users, this is likely since apps like Music don't work in landscape orientation) it will likely end up blocking your two primary gauges.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:29 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex-Leftcoaster
T & T Fabrications
I had that and returned if after a day or so. It shook more than I was comfortable with. Now, the design could have changed. I bought it a few years ago. But again, I wasn't comfortable with it.

Quick Reply: show me your phone or gadget mount