Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to match new 'used' speedo to VIN? 'vinerr'

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 07:42 AM
KonradL
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Possible to match new 'used' speedo to VIN? 'vinerr'

The LCD odometer display on my 2015 Street Glide is cutting off some bars on the numbers so I bought a used set of 2017 Ultra gauges thinking that when I plug them in they'll just display my mileage correctly. But after I installed in said 'vinerr'. I've heard that some Harley tech computers can match the VIN to the speedo and that will clear it, like the ThunderMax. Can anyone confirm that this can be done? I called HD but they say it can't. Has anyone successfully replaced theirs and got the odometer to work?
Hope I won't have to get a new speedo when I just bought whole used set.
Thanks

Last edited by KonradL; 03-15-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:21 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

pretty sure it's a one and done married to the bike vin forever. Only way to have it right is a new speedo. I could be wrong it's been known to happen tho.

Good luck.

Batman

Old 03-15-2019, 12:35 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 496 Likes on 260 Posts

Give the reset procedure in this thread a try. When the page first loads there is a post about the VINErr; click on the post to see the thread of responses (unless it is showing all on its own...looks to be browser dependent). Let us know if this indeed fixes it so we can book-shelve the procedure.

Edit: Oops, should have posted it....

https://www.justanswer.com/motorcycl...er-worked.html

Last edited by dceggert; 03-15-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 PM
KonradL
Advanced

Originally Posted by dceggert
Give the reset procedure in this thread a try. When the page first loads there is a post about the VINErr; click on the post to see the thread of responses (unless it is showing all on its own...looks to be browser dependent). Let us know if this indeed fixes it so we can book-shelve the procedure.

Edit: Oops, should have posted it....

https://www.justanswer.com/motorcycl...er-worked.html
I'll definitely give this a shot, thanks, but I think I read that these resets only work with the pre '14 bikes. If it does work, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:26 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Are you riding that bike yet?

Maybe some pics to see how it's coming together?

Old 03-15-2019, 05:25 PM
KonradL
Advanced

Originally Posted by KonradL
I'll definitely give this a shot, thanks, but I think I read that these resets only work with the pre '14 bikes. If it does work, I'll be sure to let everyone know.
that did not work, but thank you.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:27 PM
KonradL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vernal
Are you riding that bike yet?

Maybe some pics to see how it's coming together?

Hey Vernal, almost! Need a speedo. Looks like I’ll have to shell out for a new speedo after buying a used one that won’t work, but that’s on me not doing enough research. I’ll try to get some pics after I put it back together. Thanks for asking.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:54 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 496 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by KonradL
that did not work, but thank you.
The dealer may be able to help you out then. I just bought a TwinScan4 CAN tool and there is an option in the configuration section of the software to configure the speedometer. In that screen is an option to pair the ECM stored VIN in the speedometer. I don't know if there were any changes to the ECM or speedometer between '15 and '17 that would prevent a pairing but the dealer may be able to at least give it a try with Digital Technician.

The following users liked this post:
KonradL (03-18-2019)
Old 05-05-2021, 07:33 PM
wayned87
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just thought I would put my $.02 in here to potentially help someone in the future.

I have a 2017 Road Glide Special and I put a used speedo out of a 2019 Road Glide CVO speedo on my 17. I initially got the "vinerr" message but after months of research I was bale to to clear it. Long story short I bought and used the Twin Scan 4, and it worked great!

If anyone needs help on this don't hesitate to reach out, and shoot me a PM. I am more than willing to help out a fellow rider, as it seemed like it took me forever to figure this out. But now I have the knowledge to help someone else out.

RIde Safe

The following 3 users liked this post by wayned87:
Bandit. (05-10-2021), BelchFire (05-25-2021), MotoJockey (05-05-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 10:22 AM
jake24lt
Road Warrior
Received 1,272 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by wayned87
Just thought I would put my $.02 in here to potentially help someone in the future.

I have a 2017 Road Glide Special and I put a used speedo out of a 2019 Road Glide CVO speedo on my 17. I initially got the "vinerr" message but after months of research I was bale to to clear it. Long story short I bought and used the Twin Scan 4, and it worked great!

If anyone needs help on this don't hesitate to reach out, and shoot me a PM. I am more than willing to help out a fellow rider, as it seemed like it took me forever to figure this out. But now I have the knowledge to help someone else out.

RIde Safe
Diag4Bike can also clear it as well. The mileage on the newer bikes ( like yours) is stored in the ECM.

Quick Reply: Possible to match new 'used' speedo to VIN? 'vinerr'