Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   F11 topcoat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1275583-f11-topcoat.html)

Quik 03-18-2019 09:57 PM

F11 topcoat

Been looking at this stuff for awhile so I stopped by the vendor set up in Daytona last week. I'm no paid spokesperson but I must say I'm in love with this stuff. My bike is new and I religiously polish/wax every inch of so to be fair my paint was immaculate before applying but I have never used any wax that left the paint so slick and wet looking. Simple to apply and buff, not sure how well it will work on older neglected paint but I'm a big fan right now, just wanted to pass along my experience.

Gary1 03-18-2019 10:01 PM

How is the over spray on chrome or black parts?

TriGeezer 03-18-2019 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gary1 (Post 18115651)

Wipe it off. Works well on chrome and black stuff too.

Quik 03-18-2019 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gary1 (Post 18115651)

No issue at all, says you can use it on any surface, I used it on my motor and exhaust, works great. I even put it on my sunglasses and the bugs just wipe right off. Gonna do my truck next and I'm gonna put it on the windshield and everything.

Superdog3:16 03-18-2019 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Quik (Post 18115672)
No issue at all, says you can use it on any surface, I used it on my motor and exhaust, works great. I even put it on my sunglasses and the bugs just wipe right off. Gonna do my truck next and I'm gonna put it on the windshield and everything.

not trying to be a Debbie downer, but there's videos all over YouTube depicting that it's a waaay overpriced scam. IDK, I'd like to see for myself too. FWIW.....

RG Pilot 03-19-2019 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Superdog3:16 (Post 18115762)
not trying to be a Debbie downer, but there's videos all over YouTube depicting that it's a waaay overpriced scam. IDK, I'd like to see for myself too. FWIW.....

It is way overpriced. I’ve been eyeballing this stuff for a while now and now there’s another one called The Last Coat. Cheaper but still expensive for a detail spray.

jimglassford 03-19-2019 02:13 AM

A few dollars in chemicals and the rest marketing. It appeals to the lazy person who does not want to spend the time to polish and wax.

HDFRENZY 03-19-2019 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by jimglassford (Post 18115822)
A few dollars in chemicals and the rest marketing. It appeals to the lazy person who does not want to spend the time to polish and wax.

Or to the person, like me, that doesn't have a lot of extra time to spend all day detailing a bike.

Keithhu 03-19-2019 05:09 AM

Tons of threads on this product, you can do the reading here: https://www.google.com/search?client...3Ahdforums.com

skydude426 03-19-2019 06:34 AM

I bought some and used it on my car as a test. It didn’t make bug removal any easier. It did help keep dust from sticking to the car as bad but in the end I decided to just stick with using Bug Slide on my bike. As far as my car, I just run it through the local car wash like I’ve always done. No more F11 for me, I don’t see the need for it. Bug Slide helps get the bugs off and leaves my bike shinny.

GalvTexGuy 03-19-2019 07:36 AM

I have a riding buddy that swears by this stuff. He buys it by the gallon. To my eye, if I put my bike next to his, I can't tell the difference between his bike's shine using this product and my bike's shine using Mother's or Meguiar's spray and clean products. By the gallon, this stuff is a $1.56 an ounce; it's $4.61 an ounce if you buy the 18 ounce "kit special". As far as a time-saver, it takes me no more than 30 minutes to clean my bike and maybe an hour if it's really dirty. Using it makes him happy, so who am I to say what he or anyone else should use? Go for it.

touchdown 03-19-2019 08:02 AM

OK got this shit last year looked like it worked at the time BUT DID LAST VERY LONG. In my book it just like spray wax but cost way too much. They should have named it snake oil. Went back to wax still have some don't use it.

FNGonaRK 03-19-2019 08:22 AM

For those willing to put in a little extra time initially, ceramic coatings are the way to go. I did my bike with Cquartz about a year ago. I just hit it with the Reload as a quick detailer and it's good to go.

jimglassford 03-19-2019 08:31 AM

One of the methods used cars lots use to fix up an oxidized paint job is to go over the car with Armor All. The car repelled water and had a shine, for a while. The advertisement for F11 Topcoat states to build up the layer over time. Is this just the same as Armor All and if you think it is not working, just use more? I wonder if the same company sells diet pills.

Quik 03-19-2019 08:50 AM

I've looked at the negative reviews and videos and was very skeptical about buying it. Like I said my paint stays pristine 95% of the time so I'm sure that plays a big role. I am a wax/polish junkie and I use some pricey waxes, this spray leaves a shine and slickness like no wax I've used, does it last, that is yet to be determined but for now I really like this stuff. Yes, it is overpriced without a doubt, I will run through what I have and then decide if I will buy more or write it off as a waste

eaglefan1 03-19-2019 12:10 PM

Marketing, nothing more. Read FN's post again, coatings are top of the food chain.

I have over 20 polishes, 8 compounds, thousands of dollars in machine pads and MF towels, 2 polishers. There is no substitute for polished paint, and if your not using a machine there is a lot left on the table.
See where they get everybody is in the name, TopCoat. This stuff is so far from a Coating its crazy. Nothing more then a spray filler with some type of wax in it it.

If you want a wet/glossy look, it all starts with machine polishing.

There is no polishing going on with this stuff. ZERO.
Before you ask, yes I have seen cars, bikes and trucks with this on it. No, I was not impressed.

If you like it keep using it.

hdbob2006 03-19-2019 12:10 PM

If it's building a coat over your paint,sooner or later you"ll realize you're not looking at your paint,you're looking at a dried out coat of shiit covering your paint.I was in the auto body and paint business for nearly 40 years,and I've seen these 'miracle' products come and go. one was an actual 'clearcoat' that made an older dull car look like it had a fresh paint job.A local Ford dealership spent thousands on repainting cars that that crap had been applied to,when it started dulling,and peeling off in spots.

Quik 03-19-2019 12:34 PM

When I started this thread my intention was not to convince anyone to run out and buy this stuff, it was just to share my experience with it. I like it so far and for $50 I got an 18 ounce bottle and 2, 2 ounce (4 ounce) travel bottles, a bottle of poly wash soap and 4 very nice microfiber towels. It's a good buy for me at this point and not out that much money. Again, just sharing my experience.

TimeToBreakout 03-19-2019 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK (Post 18116340)
For those willing to put in a little extra time initially, ceramic coatings are the way to go. I did my bike with Cquartz about a year ago. I just hit it with the Reload as a quick detailer and it's good to go.

bingo ceramic coating is the way to go just had my bike and some of the gloss black engine pieces done for $400 well worth it

eaglefan1 03-19-2019 03:30 PM

Quik, I get that you were just sharing your experience. I get that you like the results you get.
I have posted about this stuff many times.
If you, or anybody else, is look for a "Quick Fix", there are still way better options then this stuff. 3D Speed is a much better option that last longer, and is much cheaper.

This statement puzzles me, "Or to the person, like me, that doesn't have a lot of extra time to spend all day detailing a bike." I get everybody is busy man. I work a lot also. But if you add up all the times you have to use this stuff, the price, and the sub-par look, so many better options.

Benn doing this stuff for 15+ yrs and getting paid for it. Just my opinion.
If you like it use it.

Quik 03-19-2019 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by eaglefan1 (Post 18117489)
Quik, I get that you were just sharing your experience. I get that you like the results you get.
I have posted about this stuff many times.
If you, or anybody else, is look for a "Quick Fix", there are still way better options then this stuff. 3D Speed is a much better option that last longer, and is much cheaper.

This statement puzzles me, "Or to the person, like me, that doesn't have a lot of extra time to spend all day detailing a bike." I get everybody is busy man. I work a lot also. But if you add up all the times you have to use this stuff, the price, and the sub-par look, so many better options.

Benn doing this stuff for 15+ yrs and getting paid for it. Just my opinion.
If you like it use it.

Certainly wasn't looking for a quick fix, I paid over 40k for this bike and I have zero issues keeping it in showroom condition, I'm obsessed with it actually, I work too hard not to take care of my stuff. My 2015 BMW RT has 37k miles on it since new and it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. I know this F11 is no miracle in a bottle, no wax/polish, ceramic coating or anything else is for that matter, it's all about maintaining the paint and I pride myself in doing just that. I'm willing to try anything at least once if I think it will help me maintain a pristine finish. Like I said, I will drop $50 on a product no problem and if it was a waste then I chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Quik 03-19-2019 04:05 PM

Eaglefan, thanks for the recommendation on 3D speed, I will check that stuff out as well.

DenisLM 03-19-2019 04:23 PM

I got the F11 few months ago and initially I wasn't very impressed. used a few times and looked just like a brand new bike (which my bike still is).

After few rides with some sand/snowy roads this winder my bike was a mess. But washed out way easier than my previous bike (never used F11 on that one).
Last weekend I had a mishap with gasoline all over the right side of my bike. Washed out at the gas station with just water. No apparent damage. Got home after an all day ride and washed the bike and did another round of F11. Looks just like new.

Overall I like it, recommend for non-anal people that just want a simple shiny solution and don't want spent time detailing everything but still want something that looks good and don't mind to spent few extra bucks.

In comparison I use in my car the Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax and it don't get even close how glossy the soft to touch the F11 do and you need to be very careful to no leave any marks, F11 is way easier to apply. I still have 3/4 bottle of the Meguiar's that will be my last. after that I'm getting the F11 for my car too.
Meguiar's cost only $10 on Amazon. and F11 $50 for almost the same amount.
In my book that easily worth the extra money. also I applied at least 5 times on my bike and I only used the travel size, the bigger bottle still sealed. The Meguiars you need to spray more and more....

I believe that the people that have the time and effort to do the full wax thing probably will have better results, the ceramic coat probably even better.
For me, just doing my rides and cleaning after it, F11 is unbeatable.

eaglefan1 03-19-2019 04:48 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...a9e38a421.jpeg
3D speed is a easy Alll-In-One product, polish fills and seals. Super easy.

If you are looking for the glossiest, wet look possible, then Polish Angel is what you want. What color is your bike?

Polish Angel Cosmic V2 is the coating, super simple to use, after their prep which is also super easy. If your bike is a dark color use Polish Angel High Gloss spray afterwards.
If your paint is in great shape, meaning more then 90% defect free, you will see a difference with this combo. It will last years on a bike. Bottles are small put a tiny bit goes a real long way. Easily enough to do a bike and a vehicle with some left over.
Many other options out there besides this one. If you are looking more for longevity, 22PLE V2Pro is what I like to use.
This picture is from a BMW this weekend. 16hrs of polishing, 22PLE. I did this car back in 2015

tnriverluver 03-19-2019 04:49 PM

Friend with a Battleship gray CVO RG uses it (F11) and likes it for the shine but told me it did nothing as far as making bugs easier to get off.

Quik 03-19-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by eaglefan1 (Post 18117710)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...a9e38a421.jpeg
3D speed is a easy Alll-In-One product, polish fills and seals. Super easy.

If you are looking for the glossiest, wet look possible, then Polish Angel is what you want. What color is your bike?

Polish Angel Cosmic V2 is the coating, super simple to use, after their prep which is also super easy. If your bike is a dark color use Polish Angel High Gloss spray afterwards.
If your paint is in great shape, meaning more then 90% defect free, you will see a difference with this combo. It will last years on a bike. Bottles are small put a tiny bit goes a real long way. Easily enough to do a bike and a vehicle with some left over.
Many other options out there besides this one. If you are looking more for longevity, 22PLE V2Pro is what I like to use.
This picture is from a BMW this weekend. 16hrs of polishing, 22PLE. I did this car back in 2015

My bike is black forrest/wineberry. Is 3D speed and HD speed the same thing?

steelerdude1 03-19-2019 05:15 PM

WOW!!! This stuff is either love it or hate it.

I still haven’t tried it yet, and have gone to the website a number of times to order it, but just had trouble justifying the time it will take to strip all of the wax off of my bike before I apply it.

I’m not certain how to even remove the wax from my bike since I have some vinyl graphics on it. - I typically would use lacquer thinner to remove waxes when prepping for paint, but would think that would damage the vinyl.

Maybe someday I’ll get ambitious enough to give it a go.

QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO HAVE USED IT???

Did you strip off any wax that was on your ride like the instructions say? If so, what did you use to do so?

DenisLM 03-19-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by steelerdude1 (Post 18117768)

I still haven’t tried it yet, and have gone to the website a number of times to order it, but just had trouble justifying the time it will take to strip all of the wax off of my bike before I apply it.

I’m not certain how to even remove the wax from my bike since I have some vinyl graphics on it. - I typically would use lacquer thinner to remove waxes when prepping for paint, but would think that would damage the vinyl.

Did you strip off any wax that was on your ride like the instructions say? If so, what did you use to do so?

I didn't. Just applied on top of whatever the bike came from the dealer with.
if you have the time and desire to do all the layers of preparation and wax, there's no point in use the F11.

F11 is one bottle solution for someone that don't wanna spent hours for a shine/glossy finish.

I'm sure a good prep/wax/coat job will have at least similar result, and more likely better and last longer.

steelerdude1 03-19-2019 06:52 PM

Thanks!

I polish with a meguires show car polish and a DA polisher, and wax every winter. I have used compound on it when it starts getting swirly, but since I keep up with a coat of turtle wax black box wax every now and again through the riding season, I haven’t had to compound for a couple years.

I have been been using the black box spray detailer for a quick clean.

Since it works without the all of the prep, maybe be I’ll try the F11 since my spray is almost gone.

Quik 03-19-2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by steelerdude1 (Post 18117768)

My bike was waxed to the gills but I didn't remove any, just put the F11 on top of what was there and it worked great. I've always heard washing the paint with blue dawn dish soap will strip a good bit of wax off.

Bulrid8 03-19-2019 07:18 PM

I looked at it, but couldn't justify the price. Then I tried chemical guys waterless wash and shine. It works great at cleaning up and shining the whole bike. Great thing is it is only $10 at Walmart.

eaglefan1 03-19-2019 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Quik (Post 18117763)
My bike is black forrest/wineberry. Is 3D speed and HD speed the same thing?

Same thing. All in one stuff is good if you need a little of everything thats in it.
If you don't need any polishing or filling, try a sealant. Some you put on and buff off, some you wipe on and thats it. I like this kind for bikes If I seal them

steelerdude1 03-19-2019 08:38 PM

Decided to order the 1 bottle kit. We shall see what I think. I’ll post back with my impressions once I get it.

Sixgunjr 03-19-2019 08:38 PM

There is a new stuff out called Maguires Hydro ceramic spray. I paid $11 for it on detailed image website.
I think it works pretty damn good for 11 bucks.
Go watch some YouTube videos and judge for yourself.

eaglefan1 03-19-2019 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Quik (Post 18118020)
My bike was waxed to the gills but I didn't remove any, just put the F11 on top of what was there and it worked great. I've always heard washing the paint with blue dawn dish soap will strip a good bit of wax off.

Washing with dawn will only remove very degraded wax. It was what every body thought for a long time until some guys did some testing.
What dawn does is leave a film that inhibits water beading

Gary1 03-19-2019 09:01 PM

What has really helped my paint is blow drying after washing it with soap containing wax.

eaglefan1 03-19-2019 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bulrid8 (Post 18118062)
I looked at it, but couldn't justify the price. Then I tried chemical guys waterless wash and shine. It works great at cleaning up and shining the whole bike. Great thing is it is only $10 at Walmart.

Try Wolgang Uber. Cleans better and when you figure in the dilution ratio, it is so much cheaper its crazy
I could be wrong in my calculations but $20 for the Uber will make a total of 5 gallons of waterless wash. Stuff is awesome. My #1A WW and RW concentrate. Echo2 is #1B

Crabchuck 03-20-2019 07:04 AM

@ $200 a gallon, it's way overpriced. I got three 2oz samples for $20 and gave it a try. After it was applied, it looked really good and felt slick. That didn't last long. Water didn't run off like you see in the marketing, and bugs didn't wipe off any easier than before. Griot's Garage speed shine for $35 a gallon and it performs just as well.

steelerdude1 03-25-2019 02:53 PM

I got my order today, tried some out, and I gotta say, it does make things look good! It is very pricy for the small amount that you get, but so far, I Likey.

eaglefan1 03-25-2019 03:35 PM

Oh boy, here we go again.
Ive seen it. Ive seen it again. I just don't understand what the hype is. Their marketing must be the best in the business.