Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 cruise control issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:59 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Clutch switch?

Old 03-19-2019, 02:27 PM
JCotten
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh. Haven’t thought about clutch switch. Would that make the light not come on the tack?

Old 03-19-2019, 02:46 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by JCotten
Uh. Haven’t thought about clutch switch. Would that make the light not come on the tack?
When I adjusted the bars forward on my '03, I had intermittent cruise issues, like it would cut off when there was a gust of wind, etc. It turned out I had to adjust the front brake lever. The wind was blowing on it just enough to cut the cruise control off.

I imagine it could be an issue with the clutch lever/switch though. If you can do it, that electrical diagnostic manual will help you immensely. It's like the mechanical manual, but goes through all this kind of stuff.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Have you done the cruise control operational tests called out in the service manual? If not, you should do that first.

It could be the throttle cut-off switch. Have you adjusted your cables recently? The procedure is a little more complicated than those without cruise control.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:48 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarkus60
I had issues after installing apes. I purchased the Harley Davidson Electrical Diagnostic Manual bam fixed in 10 minutes. Mine was a loose connector in my headlight.
There is a nice flow chart in the manual.
This....if all your switches seem to be working correctly, this will find the loose connection or if the module is bad. I am betting on loose connection......oh you need a multimeter.....
I drove myself nuts trying to figure out what was going on. Mine passed all the regular service manual tests, but would not engage.
Checking the connections by eye everything seemed ok. But I had one wire that when pushed the connector together it would not set.
if you have a module issue you can still get them on ebay. I found a nos one and a used one. I bought both.
Getting older CC is a must!

Old 03-20-2019, 04:07 PM
JCotten
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Chasing electrical problem are a head ache. I check the voltage on the module, looks right. Idk. May have to take to the shop!! My patience is growing thin. Lol

Old 03-21-2019, 07:29 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Just run the operational test outlined in the manual. It will show you where the problem is.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:11 AM
SJT
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you ever locate your problem? Mine worked saturday morning. 390 miles/2days later not working anymore.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:05 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SJT
Did you ever locate your problem? Mine worked saturday morning. 390 miles/2days later not working anymore.
He never came back...maybe he gave up and took it in for servicing.

I have a 2003 Ultra Classic and I found the idle roll-off switch was bad open and the system would not disconnect when I rolled the throttle off. This is how my manual says to troubleshoot the switch and this is how I determined it was bad open.

Remove left saddlebag and side cover. Disconnect connector from cruise module.
With the Ignition/Light Key Switch positioned to OFF, check continuity between the V/Y terminal (D) and the O/V terminal (F).
The ohm meter should read infinity (open) when the throttle switch is in the relaxed position and continuity when the Throttle Grip is rolled forward.

My problem was that the system would not disengage with the throttle rolled off. When I replaced the cables with new handlebars, I did not adjust the throttle cables by the book and the roll-off switch was not adjusted properly keeping it closed and the system would not engage. Adjusting the cables using the book procedure fixed the problem. What I learned is that the if the switch is not adjusted correctly and is closed or is internally shorted, the system will not come on. If the switch is defective open or the adjustment is not correct, the system will not disengage with the throttle rolled off...I also found out that this can be a tricky adjustment.

Last edited by skinman13; 05-21-2019 at 08:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SJT (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:37 AM
SJT
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
He never came back...maybe he gave up and took it in for servicing.

I have a 2003 Ultra Classic and I found the idle roll-off switch was bad open and the system would not disconnect when I rolled the throttle off. This is how my manual says to troubleshoot the switch and this is how I determined it was bad open.

Remove left saddlebag and side cover. Disconnect connector from cruise module.
With the Ignition/Light Key Switch positioned to OFF, check continuity between the V/Y terminal (D) and the O/V terminal (F).
The ohm meter should read infinity (open) when the throttle switch is in the relaxed position and continuity when the Throttle Grip is rolled forward.

My problem was that the system would not disengage with the throttle rolled off. When I replaced the cables with new handlebars, I did not adjust the throttle cables by the book and the roll-off switch was not adjusted properly keeping it closed and the system would not engage. Adjusting the cables using the book procedure fixed the problem. What I learned is that the if the switch is not adjusted correctly and is closed or is internally shorted, the system will not come on. If the switch is defective open or the adjustment is not correct, the system will not disengage with the throttle rolled off...I also found out that this can be a tricky adjustment.
Thanks for the information. I guess it’s time to practice with my multimeter.

Quick Reply: 2004 cruise control issue