Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:23 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Where to dyno?

I live in Linton, Indiana. The closest dealership with a dyno was Bloomington, but they just got rid of thiers. I知 putting HQ-0034 cams in my stock 2005 Ultra Classic abs it will need to be remapped. Can anyone tell me where the closest place is to have that done?

Thanks

Old 05-01-2019, 12:10 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,137 Likes on 764 Posts
The following users liked this post:
bklynbob (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 02:11 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Horsepower Inc. in Speedway is a dyno shop.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:36 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Haarley
Horsepower Inc. in Speedway is a dyno shop.
I don稚 know much about dyno tuning, but it seems to me that this shop is expensive.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:15 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Here's a link to dynojet that shows who has their motorcycle dynos. Punch in your zip codes and it will show who has them in your area.

https://www.dynojet.com/dynocenters/...o-centers.aspx

I'd avoid a dealer and find an indy. They usually do a much better job and don't have to follow the manufacturers rules and EPA rules. Do some research and goggle reviews on each of them that you find. A good tuner technician is more important than the tuning device. A good tuner tech can make a bike come alive and a bad one can make a great bike run like crap.

Prices will vary as well as the time they spend. Some guys will spend hours and tweak everything. That's great. On the other end of the spectrum are guys like the one that tunes my bikes. He's been doing it forever and has a huge database of tunes. He matched my mods ( pipes, cams, air cleaner etc) to previous tunes he's done and downloaded the last into my bike as a base to start. He did a few pulls to tweak it a little to my bike and that becomes his base for the next bike with the same mods. It doesn't take him long and he only charges $200. It may not be perfect like the guy that spent hours but it's so close no one could tell the difference off the dyno.

What is your purpose for wanting to dyno? Unless you just want to see the chart, look into Fuel Moto. If you buy a power commander from them, they will give you a map similar to what my tuner has done from their huge data base and it will run great. If you change something later, they will send you a new map for free.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:02 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EdwardK
Here's a link to dynojet that shows who has their motorcycle dynos. Punch in your zip codes and it will show who has them in your area.

https://www.dynojet.com/dynocenters/...o-centers.aspx

I'd avoid a dealer and find an indy. They usually do a much better job and don't have to follow the manufacturers rules and EPA rules. Do some research and goggle reviews on each of them that you find. A good tuner technician is more important than the tuning device. A good tuner tech can make a bike come alive and a bad one can make a great bike run like crap.

Prices will vary as well as the time they spend. Some guys will spend hours and tweak everything. That's great. On the other end of the spectrum are guys like the one that tunes my bikes. He's been doing it forever and has a huge database of tunes. He matched my mods ( pipes, cams, air cleaner etc) to previous tunes he's done and downloaded the last into my bike as a base to start. He did a few pulls to tweak it a little to my bike and that becomes his base for the next bike with the same mods. It doesn't take him long and he only charges $200. It may not be perfect like the guy that spent hours but it's so close no one could tell the difference off the dyno.

What is your purpose for wanting to dyno? Unless you just want to see the chart, look into Fuel Moto. If you buy a power commander from them, they will give you a map similar to what my tuner has done from their huge data base and it will run great. If you change something later, they will send you a new map for free.
I知 looking to dyno because I知 changing camshafts. The bike is a 2005 Ultra Classic. It has the Harley hi-flow air cleaner and Rinehart True duals. It has a Harley tuner that was installed with the AC and exhaust all when bike was new and it was run on a dyno then. But I figure it will have to be remapped with different camshafts.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:00 AM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

My advice is to get a recommendation from someone you trust that has direct knowledge about the shop or you could very well be wasting your money. Not that it's a substitute for a good dyno tune, but you can get a Powervision for same or less money and on request dynojet will send you a tune for your engine/cam specs that will at least get you started. After building 107 last spring I wasted $600 on dyno tune from an indy that seemed to have a decent rep. After tune bike had some major problems with flat/dead spots in rpm range and off idle acceleration that I fixed myself using powervision to tune VE tables, and then after comparing maps I realized they'd made no changes at all to ignition timing. When I inquired was told "they didn't mess w/timing"... WTF...

Old 05-02-2019, 03:03 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Ot has a tuner or a download. Call sheffer,he’s one of the best and fairly close.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:06 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bklynbob
Ot has a tuner or a download. Call sheffer,he痴 one of the best and fairly close.
i sent him a message. I plan to call as well it seems like that is the place to go. It would be AWESOME if I didn稚 have to trailer it two hours and spend 200-300 bucks. I知 already close to over budget.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:39 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by CookUltraClassic
I知 looking to dyno because I知 changing camshafts. The bike is a 2005 Ultra Classic. It has the Harley hi-flow air cleaner and Rinehart True duals. It has a Harley tuner that was installed with the AC and exhaust all when bike was new and it was run on a dyno then. But I figure it will have to be remapped with different camshafts.
When you talk to your tuner, ask him about using the Harley tuner. I had one for my Road King and my indy told me that because of the issues between HD and the EPA, the software will now only allow an EPA approved tune. You wont get the most out of your new cams unless you switch to an aftermarket tuner. Verify that with the tuner tech, I'm just repeating what my indy told me when I asked him to tweak my warm up settings. He hooked it up to the computer and said it wanted to overwrite his tune with their EPA compliant tune so he backed out and left it so he wouldn't have to start from scratch with another tuner. I'm just living with it being cold natured in the winter. I'm guessing that's why most dealers are getting rid of their dynos. Nobody wants an EPA compliant tune.

If you are on a budget, I'd look look at getting a Power Commander from Fuel Moto with their map for your cams already installed. No dyno necessary, you can do it yourself. Later, when your budget allows, you can have it tweaked on a dyno if you still felt the need.

Quick Reply: Where to dyno?