Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel weight with Ride-On

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 06:32 AM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wheel weight with Ride-On

I just had some new Avon Cobra's mounted and I gave the shop 2 bottles of Ride-On to use. Guy at the counter took them and said no problem. Went back the next day to pick up the wheels and there are wheel weights stuck on. I asked the guy at the counter, different guy, and he went back to talk to the installer. According to the installer the slip said to use both forms of balance. He said it was actually a good idea though because the Ride-On will balance out the tire but not the wheel. I've never used Ride-On before but in my research I have never come across this scenario. Is this a valid line of reasoning? I would think with the Ride-On being dynamic that it will now be over balanced at the point of the weights. I will be test riding today but thought I would ask. I've ridden a bike with an out of balance wheel before and it was not pleasant as it went from feeling normal at 60-65 to almost out of control, not a tank slapper but a massive shutter, at 70-75.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:47 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

This is what Ride-On says about the product:

This protective tire sealant coating is formulated to prevent flats caused by punctures, hydrodynamically balance tire/wheel assemblies (with or without wheel weights) for the life of a tire...

Unsightly wheel weights are no longer necessary.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 05-03-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:49 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

If you have the right amount of Ride-On in your tires, you can just take those weights off and ride.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:00 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,250 Likes on 6,010 Posts

I have used Ride On on several sets of tires. I added the amount specified, and rode about 5-8 miles, starting slow, warming up tires, then on the highway for a distance. Not had any problems or issues with Ride On only and no wheel weights. If they put the right amount in, I don't think I would leave the weights on, but then if it rides ok, I guess leaving them would not hurt. Your call on that one, but I would probably take the weight off (note the position and size) and take a ride.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:05 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by jb1023
,,,because the Ride-On will balance out the tire but not the wheel.
I do love some of the answers shops can come up with.

The following 3 users liked this post by foxtrapper:
chromepony (05-03-2019), hdbob2006 (05-03-2019), jb1023 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:29 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
I do love some of the answers shops can come up with.
Yeah no kidding. I would have asked "ok then, how do you plan on balancing the tire?"

The following users liked this post:
hdbob2006 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Wisenheimer16
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I bet the guy forgot to even put the ride on in the tires. Of course the shop would never tell you that. I'm not sure if you can check without peeling the tires off the rim so you may never know if they are lying.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:21 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

I have Ride On in two bikes. No weights. I don’t start out slow. I ride them like I stole them and I’ve never had a wheel out of balance problem. The wheels are smooth as butter all the time.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:27 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by skydude426
I have Ride On in two bikes. No weights. I don’t start out slow. I ride them like I stole them and I’ve never had a wheel out of balance problem. The wheels are smooth as butter all the time.
But, what about the tires?

Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisenheimer16
I bet the guy forgot to even put the ride on in the tires. Of course the shop would never tell you that. I'm not sure if you can check without peeling the tires off the rim so you may never know if they are lying.
This...^^^

I'm not sure you could get a good static balance on a tire/wheel until the Ride-on is spread out along the inside of the tire, which is only done by the centrifugal force of the spinning wheel/tire. I would think to static balance a tire with ride-on freshly applied and before the tire is driven a bit, would result in a lot of weight being needed to offset a "heavy spot" in the wheel/tire.... if they have a dynamic balancing machine, and spun the tire a bit before adding any weights, they may have gotten it balanced with minimal weights.

As for the ride-on, it will balance the tire/wheel if the proper amount is used... unless there is a problem with the tire or wheel. That has been my experience...

If you add ride-on to a tire that has already been balanced with weights, and leave the weights on, it shouldn't negatively affect the balance. It should just make the tire/wheel "package" heavier by the weight of the ride-on or the weights, however you choose to look at it... it should keep the tire/wheel properly balanced as the tire wears...

Quick Reply: Wheel weight with Ride-On