Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elusive Sewing machine

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Ironbyrd81
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Elusive Sewing machine

Ok I am going insane here. I have an 08 Ultra Classic that I have been chasing the top end sewing machine noise. Today it sounded louder than normal and the noise comes from the front cylinder. Easy to hear even at idle.

To date: I have installed S&S lifters, S&S adjustable push rods, rocker lockers , twin performance high performance oil pump, S&S 561 cams and a UltraCool 2 oil cooler. The noise did get louder after the upgraded cams but it’s always been there. I’ve been told it’s “normal” but I refuse to believe that. I went to a buddies and he has the 88” engine and his does not make the same sound.

Is it possible that I’ve tightened the rocker plates too tight? It’s pretty much impossible to get a torque wrench in there. Or any other suggestions. It seriously drives me insane and it’s all I can focus on.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:26 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

You have to remember that you're sitting on top of an air cooled pushrod motor that has its design roots dating back 100 years lol. There's just going to be some noise. I've done some chasing too...lifters.lockers, different oils even trying different preloads on the lifters. I had an 06 springer softail that had an 88 and that motor was so quiet so I really thought this 110 was self destructing. My buddy has a 2016 road glide with about 6k miles and his sounds pretty much like mine so I'm done spending money trying to do the impossible. You'll know when something doesnt sound normal.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 05:26 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

After recently going back to dino oil, mine got quite a bit quieter. I also run the Axtel oil bypass

Old 05-05-2019, 05:49 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I used new S&S lifters and take-off SE adjustable push rods in my build and I had an annoying tick when I first got it running. I read and asked around and got answers ranging from normal to rockers ticking to needing to adjust the push rods again. I decided to try to readjust the push rods first and was pretty successful with the rear cylinder, but the front just kept ticking. After a long ride a few weeks back, the ticking seemed louder so I decided to stop messing around and replaced the used push rods and S&S lifters with new SE Adjustable push rods and SE lifters, even though I can not find anything wrong with the new S&S lifters and take-off SE push rods.

I have not had that tick since I installed the new SE lifters and push rods. I have about 400 miles on the new parts and even when the temp hovering at 230 stuck in traffic today coming back from a long ride and it was not ticking. I am starting to think that the S&S lifters were not performance enough to handle the high lift cam and racing valve springs.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:54 PM
Ironbyrd81
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skinman13
I used new S&S lifters and take-off SE adjustable push rods in my build and I had an annoying tick when I first got it running. I read and asked around and got answers ranging from normal to rockers ticking to needing to adjust the push rods again. I decided to try to readjust the push rods first and was pretty successful with the rear cylinder, but the front just kept ticking. After a long ride a few weeks back, the ticking seemed louder so I decided to stop messing around and replaced the used push rods and S&S lifters with new SE Adjustable push rods and SE lifters, even though I can not find anything wrong with the new S&S lifters and take-off SE push rods.

I have not had that tick since I installed the new SE lifters and push rods. I have about 400 miles on the new parts and even when the temp hovering at 230 stuck in traffic today coming back from a long ride and it was not ticking. I am starting to think that the S&S lifters were not performance enough to handle the high lift cam and racing valve springs.
interesting!!! What adjustments did you try on the push-rods? I did 4 complete turns on all of them which followed the instructions. Maybe I should just put my stock Harley lifters back in. With the SE parts did you buy a quickee model or just regular adjustable?

Old 05-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Drive it. It's a Harley. If you wanted it to sound like the cab of a Mercedes, buy one. From all you have done, that's is like saying Kyle Bush wants a muffler on his race car.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-05-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:39 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,251 Likes on 814 Posts

OP, I’m a little unclear. Did this noise just make s sudden change on its own? If so, that’s it good. A collapsing lifter would be s likely suspect for a suddenly increased clatter.

But if it’s a long term chronic noise, I’d be far less worried. Especially with the modifications you describe.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:01 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Drive it. It's a Harley. If you wanted it to sound like the cab of a Mercedes, buy one. From all you have done, that's is like saying Kyle Bush wants a muffler on his race car.
Reminds me of my 1st Harley - a brand new 1990 FXRT. Coming off of two 750 Hondas, I initially thought something was wrong with the motor. After 43,000 miles, 2 exhaust systems, 2 hi-po cams, and a carb kit - yeah, that's how they sound! My Kitchen-aide dishwasher is very quiet.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:05 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,313 Likes on 2,358 Posts

There is a sponsor on here that has researched this in great detail. what he discovered was the rocker arm shaft is moving in the head when the rocker arms are in motion and clack against the shaft mounts. So the gentleman developed a fix for locking those shafts I believe there are vids on youtube.

Rockout Rocker Products.

Last edited by seniorsuperglideE8; 05-05-2019 at 07:29 PM.
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Ironbyrd81
Intermediate

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
There is a sponsor on here that has researched this in great detail. what he discovered was the rocker arm shaft is moving in the head when the rocker arms are in motion and clack against the shaft mounts. So the gentleman developed a fix for locking those shafts I believe there are vids on youtube.

Rockout Rocker Products.
i have those already

ROCKOUT Rocker Products (05-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Elusive Sewing machine