Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 01:09 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

No more guessing:

The following 2 users liked this post by sailmotion:
Dbradfield203 (05-17-2019), Notgrownup (05-17-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 04:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dbradfield203
Thanks for the lesson. This helps me understand the numbering system as I was wondering about them. I'll continue reading about them and maybe stumble on a contact number or website for Howard at Motorcyle Metal. I ride two up most of the time on highways with luggage. Thanks again for the info!
Mrs B and I live in the UK and have toured through Europe several times. The trip 'Before Ohlins' and the following year 'After Ohlins' were a dramatic contrast. After a few days in the saddle on our last BO trip we started taking short cuts each day, to reduce saddle time for my wife as she got increasingly uncomfortable - hence our decision that 'something has to be done'.

The following year, AO, there were no such problems. Mrs B would have been happy to travel further each day, didn't feel uncomfortable getting on the bike in the morning and we could have continued touring for a good deal longer than planned. I'm sure Mrs D will have a similar experience!

Howard's details are in the Marketplace directory above.

The following users liked this post:
Notgrownup (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 04:50 AM
dbdicker
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

FKC 102 fork cartridges with 13" HD 772 blacklines on the rear. No comparison to stock. Still, it won't make my Street glide into a BMW -- I'm still able to find the limits on both ends and can top them out (a lot easier than bottoming!) on the crappy NE potholed roads in the spring. (CLUNK!) . Just be aware of what you're trying to do - improve the handling and ride quality of an 850lb. cradle frame beastie, and you won't be disappointed. You'll do that, the improvement will be incredible, but it doesn't magically become a Ducati Panigale --OR a Cadillac. Not that you'd want either 100% of the time.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Dbradfield203
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Mrs B and I live in the UK and have toured through Europe several times. The trip 'Before Ohlins' and the following year 'After Ohlins' were a dramatic contrast. After a few days in the saddle on our last BO trip we started taking short cuts each day, to reduce saddle time for my wife as she got increasingly uncomfortable - hence our decision that 'something has to be done'.

The following year, AO, there were no such problems. Mrs B would have been happy to travel further each day, didn't feel uncomfortable getting on the bike in the morning and we could have continued touring for a good deal longer than planned. I'm sure Mrs D will have a similar experience!

Howard's details are in the Marketplace directory above.
Sounds like you found the right combination. The first trip we took on the bike together was very easy, she rode over 600 miles in a day. The trip was about 1400 total. The last time wasn't so easy. It was a total of 1800. Not only was it more physically demanding but we had trouble with the bike. Were coming home and with about 250 miles left the engine light and temperature light came on. Got into a truck stop and after pulling codes(p1019), called the nearest dealer and discussed with the service manager about my issue. After a few test it became apparent the water pump had failed. Had to decide on going to the dealer for them to work on it or go on home. Dealer was 150 miles south of where we were and home was 250 miles west. This is still a 90% air cooler engine and we rode on home without any issues. Have parts coming to fix it now. I make my own repairs.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:15 AM
rubberheels
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I just put HD22's on my 2019 FLHXS the ride is alot better! i'm a big guy 295lb's and Howard put these together and I had them on in a few days. I live in NJ and the roads suck! After 55yrs. and 25 Harleys,I;m 73 yesterday I think I found the perfect bike. I'm gonna take it to Rolling Thunder next weekend. I'm a Patch Holder w/VMCMC for alot of years this is the last run for RT. So I'm gonna pack a big Sub Sandwich and a 6 pack of Bud and spend a long day on my new bike and break in those Ohlins the right way! Wish me luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by rubberheels:
Dbradfield203 (05-18-2019), GalvTexGuy (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:18 AM
Dbradfield203
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dbdicker
FKC 102 fork cartridges with 13" HD 772 blacklines on the rear. No comparison to stock. Still, it won't make my Street glide into a BMW -- I'm still able to find the limits on both ends and can top them out (a lot easier than bottoming!) on the crappy NE potholed roads in the spring. (CLUNK!) . Just be aware of what you're trying to do - improve the handling and ride quality of an 850lb. cradle frame beastie, and you won't be disappointed. You'll do that, the improvement will be incredible, but it doesn't magically become a Ducati Panigale --OR a Cadillac. Not that you'd want either 100% of the time.
I guess most of us expect our machines to be better than they really are. I have actually owned a BMW and my Ultra does ride better that it did in stock form. Now the Cadillac reference is more like it! I have ridden all kinds of motorcycles in my time and this bike has outperformed in most aspects all of them. My wife has just started to ride with me in the last few years and now I would rather take trips with her and leave the riding buddies at home. It doesn't seem to ride that bad with just me on it. I put about 8000 miles on it the first 2 years and it just rolled over 15 on this last trip. Have a man ride planned for June and if the budget can handle the hit of a water pump, rear tire and a set of shocks then I'll be set. Water pump and tire are a need and shocks are becoming a necessity! Thanks for the input.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:40 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by rubberheels
I just put HD22's on my 2019 FLHXS the ride is alot better! i'm a big guy 295lb's and Howard put these together and I had them on in a few days. I live in NJ and the roads suck! After 55yrs. and 25 Harleys,I;m 73 yesterday I think I found the perfect bike. I'm gonna take it to Rolling Thunder next weekend. I'm a Patch Holder w/VMCMC for alot of years this is the last run for RT. So I'm gonna pack a big Sub Sandwich and a 6 pack of Bud and spend a long day on my new bike and break in those Ohlins the right way! Wish me luck!
VMCMC?, thanx