Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 07:31 AM
Malleck
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Ohlin questions.

For those of you who went with Ohlins, which ones did you go with? They have like 4 or 5 different models.
And what length? I don't want to lower the bike or anything like that. It's a 2015 Road King.
The wife and I had just gotten to Myrtle Beach (less than an hour ride for us) when the bike started riding and handling like ****. She told me she swore she heard some air leaking as we turned in to House of Blues parking lot.
I pull the bags and sure enough the shock balance line is broken. I have no idea how or why. So we had to cut our day short.
I don't want to have to deal with crap like this again so I figure just replace the damn things.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:53 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

HB159 set up for my weight and my wife...We ride to the hills some and I just need to add or remove 8 turns of the adjuster rings.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:01 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,170 Posts

HD 772 on my '14 Limited. They weren't my first choice, but I got a good deal from a member. There are other shock brands out there that are, some say, better or at least comparable to Ohlins.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Malleck
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
HD 772 on my '14 Limited. They weren't my first choice, but I got a good deal from a member. There are other shock brands out there that are, some say, better or at least comparable to Ohlins.
I've never heard of Ohlins before, but I have seen a lot of people on here who have them and seem really happy so I figure I will give them a try.
I've only had experience with Progressive shocks myself. On 2 different Kawasaki Vulcans and both times I was really impressed with them.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:10 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

It can get confusing with all the different models of Ohlins. Obviously use this site to help navigate through it all. Remember a lot of this shock stuff is subjective. But go with Ohlins you probably won't go wrong. Like mentioned above the HD159 works as well as the S36DR1L. And of course Motorcycle Metal sells the #3 - #3

Old 05-12-2019, 08:14 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Malleck
I've never heard of Ohlins before, but I have seen a lot of people on here who have them and seem really happy so I figure I will give them a try.
I've only had experience with Progressive shocks myself. On 2 different Kawasaki Vulcans and both times I was really impressed with them.
There are several choices much, much better than Progressive......Pro Action, Legends, JRI, are far superior. I'd even go HD hand adjustable over the Progressive

Old 05-12-2019, 08:18 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

If you’re going the Ohlins route, get the 772’s. They’re a separated shock. Look up “Suspended by Smarty” (Carol Burks) for the real deal on Ohlins

The following users liked this post:
bklynbob (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

I went with 2-2B from Howard after discussing my riding style and budget with him. Very nice upgrade from stock but not a totally Cush ride but they did help a lot. They are 13.25 inches and when set up correctly get about the maximum usable travel from the rear.

If if I were to do it again I would get something that you could adjust more quickly instead of pulling the bags, jacking the bike and using spanners.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Malleck
You might give Pro-Action a shout before you decide.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain
Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
You might give Pro-Action a shout before you decide.
This ^

Quick Reply: Ohlin questions.