Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage to 2018/19 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 06:12 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 2018 Heritage to 2018/19 Street Glide

Currently riding a 2018 Heritage 114. Love the bike, but I've put 15K miles on in past year riding from Ohio to Florida, Gatlinburg, Sturgis, with more trips to follow. Considering moving to a Street Glide since I've grown to love the open road and distance trips. I will be test riding a Street Glide this week. Have never ridden any of the touring bikes. The 2018 Heritage has some know nuisances. For example, the speedo fogs up, the gas cap rattles, oil spits out the A/C if filled too high, some odd rubbing sounds when coasting, etc. Can anyone share on the new 18/19 Street Glides design flaws or mild irritations that many have encountered? Or is the bike flawless and a no brainer, must have, just go get the damn bike! I'll be looking a the Street Glide Special and plan to keep my Heritage. Thanks!!

Old 05-18-2019, 07:08 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 863 Likes on 511 Posts

You'll still have the oil spiting if you fill it too high. The much over rated trans oil migration. 19s have a much better info system, there's the 114 on some of the models. I would not hesitate to get either an18 or 19. As good as the softail are the touring models are a much nicer touring bike in comfort, luggage capacity, info sys including gps.

The following users liked this post:
kenny55 (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:39 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts

The Street Glide is a nice bike. I went with the Road King because I did not want the big fairing and I like the idea of having a replaceable/upgradable GPS rather than having the GPS as an integral part of the bike (Garmin Zumo 595 which I really like).
Not sure about the issues you mention with the Heritage. I had a 2015 Fat Boy and it had none of those issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by Redlegvzv:
bpav16 (05-19-2019), kenny55 (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 PM
kenny55
Tourer

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
The Street Glide is a nice bike. I went with the Road King because I did not want the big fairing and I like the idea of having a replaceable/upgradable GPS rather than having the GPS as an integral part of the bike (Garmin Zumo 595 which I really like).
Not sure about the issues you mention with the Heritage. I had a 2015 Fat Boy and it had none of those issues.
I have the 595LM mounted nicely on the Heritage. Would not go anywhere without it. Good point about the flexibility of GPS systems. I really don't think I'd use the built in stereo since the Sena bluetooth speakers in my helmet work very well played through the Garmin or my phone, but maybe I would if I had it and could hear it. The biggest reason I am looking at the Street Glide Special is because I want the 114 motor.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:19 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,686 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny55
I have the 595LM mounted nicely on the Heritage. Would not go anywhere without it. Good point about the flexibility of GPS systems. I really don't think I'd use the built in stereo since the Sena bluetooth speakers in my helmet work very well played through the Garmin or my phone, but maybe I would if I had it and could hear it. The biggest reason I am looking at the Street Glide Special is because I want the 114 motor.
For a lot less money, you could Stage 2 your engine and have more power and torque than a stock 114.

Plus, Softails don't have the transmission fluid transfer problems that many of the touring bikes have. And reports of sumping in Softails are practically unheard of.

If you figure you wouldn't use the stereo, and already have a good nav system, I'd keep your Heritage. And I'm the owner of an '18 Street Glide.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:16 AM
kenny55
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dynamick
For a lot less money, you could Stage 2 your engine and have more power and torque than a stock 114.

Plus, Softails don't have the transmission fluid transfer problems that many of the touring bikes have. And reports of sumping in Softails are practically unheard of.

If you figure you wouldn't use the stereo, and already have a good nav system, I'd keep your Heritage. And I'm the owner of an '18 Street Glide.

I already have a 114 engine on my Heritage. Considering a touring bike and would like to stay with the 114 engine. I was inquiring what, if any, known issues there were on the new touring bikes.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 AM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

I already have a 114 engine on my Heritage. Considering a touring bike and would like to stay with the 114 engine. I was inquiring what, if any, known issues there were on the new touring bikes.
So, I made the jump from the 2018 Heritage go a 2019 SGS. Both are great bikes, but the SGS is just simply a cut above. I love it more every time I ride it. But I was specifically attracted to the infotainment/GPS system. Maybe it’s not state of the art GPS, but it’s very convenient.

you won’t regret the move....in fact, you’ll be very happy.

i can’t address the issues as I only have 6,500 miles on it, but I have experienced no problems so far....knock on wood.

kenny55 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 09:14 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!

You will love it. I have a Road Glide and my wife has a Heritage, and they are both great bikes (neither are M8’s). To me each bike has its own things that are better for different riding situations, and personally could ride either across the country.

Enjoy the new streetglide, and have fun making it your own.

kenny55 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,686 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Well, I just mentioned a couple of the major ones.

Head on over to the M8 section of the forum and you'll find days worth of reading.

kenny55 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 11:58 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

If you are going to keep the Heritage, go big and get an Ultra Classic or Limited. If you are putting that many miles a year on road trips, don't half *** it on a bike with 12" shocks that in my opinion, is really a bar hopper disguised as a touring bike. Get a bike designed for touring. You'll love the extra storage and they ride so much better than a Street Glide because of the longer shocks. Keep the Heritage for around town and break out the big bike for the road trips. If you have a passenger, they will be much more happy as well.

Once you get on a touring bike, you will love it. A little adjustment getting used to the weight but the ride quality at highway speeds is so much better than a softail. And then when you get back on the Heritage, it will feel as light as a sportster. Night and day difference.

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage to 2018/19 Street Glide