Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a mild cam upgrade worth it? Seat of the pants dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 09:33 PM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 683 Likes on 253 Posts
Default Is a mild cam upgrade worth it? Seat of the pants dyno?

Ill be doing my cam tensioner next winter and you know we all suffer from the 'while im in here' syndrome.....

Ive got a 06 FLHI, currently running a SE stage 1 kit (air filter, pipes and re-map)

I dont want to get wild and do a bunch of research, but Im wondering if a set of cams will really make a large difference in 'seat of the pants' acceleration. Im looking for more off the line and midrange power, as I seldom get the chance to run above 90MPH.

Will a few hundred bucks on cams get me a 'holy sheet' kind of difference or will it just be a 'oh, thats a little different'?

(I ask because I dropped over a grand on a custom grind, hydraulic roller cam in my 454. It was a 'nice' upgrade but it wasnt earth shattering. Replacing rear end gears......now THAT will make you sheet your pants....)

Old 05-21-2019, 09:55 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

If you pick the right cam and get a real tune and not a download,youll have a nice running bike. You want more you’ll have to $$$

Last edited by bklynbob; 05-21-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:02 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

Cam was my best engine performance upgrade so far.

I’m still using a MAP from Fuel Moto that has 4 Autotune runs and a few other tweaks and it runs great.

I’ll do a pro Dyno on it soon to squeeze everything I can out of my build. Plus I’d also like to see what kind of numbers I’m putting up. Butt Dyno is all good but everyone wants to know if they broke that 100 Tq barrier?

Do a cam while you’re in it!

The following users liked this post:
duglaura&flhti (05-23-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 PM
internet troll
Road Master

Will a base fuelpak suffice? Im currently running a FP3. I know its not truly 'customizable' and can only be set with pre-loaded numbers.

Again, I dont want to go too far down the rabbit hole. If I can bolt in a set of cams and dial in the FP3 and go "WOW".....Im all in....but common sense tells me its more complicated (and expensive) than that.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:22 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,458 Likes on 1,694 Posts

In my opinion, if you want, "Holy ****!" difference you need 3 things, right cams, heads done to complement them, including compression, and a professional tune by a competent tuner.

1 2 many (05-23-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

I can't believe I am replying to a troll.
why ask if replacing a stock mild cam with another mild cam is going to make a difference.
Why ask if the FP3 will adapt to the new cam. If you do not know that it will there is your first problem to resolve.
do some research on what cams FP3 supports then go shopping.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:58 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Did exactly as you are thinking here. Stage 1, FuelPak3 and added some andrews 21 cams for that low down torque. There was a very noticeable difference, but no holy **** for sure. Changed to Power commander 3 down the road and made a bit of difference due to more setting options. I can tell you that I ride a lot of NW Arkansas hills and curves, and I dont need to downshift for most hills. Just roll back the throttle and up she goes. That is with 2 up riding also. Didnt make her a hot rod, but gave her some nice extra pull off the line. You can feel it when the cam kicks in, which is about 1300 rpm, not right off the line, but pretty soon after. It is much more intense when riding solo.

duglaura&flhti (05-23-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:14 PM
internet troll
Road Master

Originally Posted by BackRoader
Did exactly as you are thinking here. Stage 1, FuelPak3 and added some andrews 21 cams for that low down torque. There was a very noticeable difference, but no holy **** for sure. Changed to Power commander 3 down the road and made a bit of difference due to more setting options. I can tell you that I ride a lot of NW Arkansas hills and curves, and I dont need to downshift for most hills. Just roll back the throttle and up she goes. That is with 2 up riding also. Didnt make her a hot rod, but gave her some nice extra pull off the line. You can feel it when the cam kicks in, which is about 1300 rpm, not right off the line, but pretty soon after. It is much more intense when riding solo.
That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thank you. Now I have to consider if the $$ investment will pay off in fun returns. Thanks again.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:27 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by internet troll
That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thank you. Now I have to consider if the $$ investment will pay off in fun returns. Thanks again.
I think some Harley owners would rather spend money on stuff they heard about on the internet rather than spending money on a road trip.

Lots of 3-5 year old bikes with $10,000 in "upgrades" available. I think the owners get bored and just spend money. Many of those bikes have less than 2000 miles a year on them. But, it's their money for them to spend as they choose.

A torque cam will not give impressive numbers, but will provide noticeable power difference below 4000 RPM.

Or, maybe take a track day and learn how to ride your bike faster?

Last edited by Goose_NC; 05-22-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:52 PM
hooter57
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I just put an S&S cam in my 2009 FLHT that had a stage one upgrade and man can I feel the difference! Definetly can feel it in the seat my pants.

Quick Reply: Is a mild cam upgrade worth it? Seat of the pants dyno?