Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PNW area riders: what's law enforcement like there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 01:24 AM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
Default PNW area riders: what's law enforcement like there?

I'm headed to SW Washington (just north of Portland) area for the next few months and planning on bringing bike and really looking forward to exploring some new roads and maybe even hitting the PCH if it isn't a traffic nightmare (already changed location on my profile in preparation). Please pardon my ignorance--other than a few road trips years back almost all my riding has been in MT/WY/CO, which I've been given to understand actually do have laws on the books regarding exhaust noise, etc but with a very few exceptions these are almost universally ignored by riders and law enforcement, and I'm wondering what to expect in WA/OR area.

My pipe's loud (magnaflow rockstar, 2-1 shorty) but does have a baffle and certainly isn't as loud as some. Should I be okay in general if I'm not deliberately revving engine and annoying people? Might larger cities (Portland, Seattle, etc) be a problem? After seeing the difference it makes in Denver traffic (yes, really!) I'd hate to give it up...

Both WA and OR have helmet laws--are these strictly enforced, or just used as an excuse to occasionally pull people over to try and find other issues/offenses?

Will they bust me for headphones/earbuds? Can't believe these are illegal in some states when many riders wear ear plugs anyway, and hands free headsets are seemingly legal (or even required without bluetooth) in enclosed vehicles... How else can you hear NAV directions on a bike? Ridiculous.

Will my get back whip get me unwanted attention? Or BAL brake light flash pattern and/or brightness level? Anything else I maybe haven't considered?

Would really like to hear from those with experience in the area--I don't need laws quoted to me or lectures on safety, thanks.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:37 AM
Sorce
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts

Watched a Video yesterday from WA...
Cant have stuff "protruding" from your helmet...gopro etc.

Dude said he never got pulled over for it before so no big deal probly.

Godspeed.

Sorce

Old 05-28-2019, 06:08 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

The wife's ex is a captain here where ear phones are on the books as being banned while driving. It's an old outdated law since a lot of communities require a hands free head set to talk on the phone while driving. He said it's a non-issue here and he couldn't imagine anyone being ticketed for it in any state.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:31 AM
snohomish
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Lived about 35 miles north of Seattle for 11 years. Traffic going to/from Seattle was a nightmare on I-5/I-405. Sure fire way to get stopped is not have a helmet on. Never had a problem with loud exhaust on my bike but I also never gave them a reason to check it. Take advantage of the back roads if possible as the scenery is wonderful.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:20 AM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

We’re on our way back home to MO after traveling to Seattle by car. Saw very few troopers, almost non-existent. Saw very few bikes as well. Saw very few Seattle cops and when we did they seemed to be in a hurry to get somewhere. All bikers did have helmets on, though. Just from what I observed, it seems like if you don’t bother them (with undue attention), they won’t bother you. I think if you wear your skid lid and don’t act like an idiot, you’ll be fine.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:46 AM
FPV
Tourer
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

A DOT approved (or at least have the sticker on the helmet back) helmet is a must and endorsement on license and after July 1 you must also have insurance. Anything else is mostly overlooked. In WA state Troopers have now added many unmarked vehicles to their fleet and that includes pickups. Just don't speed excessively and have the helmet/endorsement/insurance and you'll be fine.

The previous statement about heavy traffic in the Seattle area is not to be taken lightly...Rush hour both morning and evening can be nasty and this also holds true for Tacoma. Many cage drivers up here are not very biker friendly and have no problem cutting you off. With that said there are some very scenic routes up this way once you leave the Interstates.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:54 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

It's been my experience, in general, that if a state has a helmet law they are serious about enforcing it. In other words, if you're going from a no helmet state to a helmet state put one on BEFORE you cross the state line, not after.

The following users liked this post:
jimmiedwad (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:38 AM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

Can't speak to the Washington side, but in Oregon yes helmet laws are strictly enforced. I haven't heard much about noise regulations being enforced but there is an "excessive noise" statute I believe. In addition local municipalities can have their own rules. GO SLOW THROUGH SMALL TOWNS! Many of them pad their coffers with speeding citations. The State Police was defunded years ago so their presence is limited but don't expect them to cut you a break if you get pulled over. Federally funded saturation patrols are in effect on holiday weekends, including the Super Bowl.

BTW self service gas is illegal in Oregon (I know it's weird) but motorcycles and diesels are exempt. Gas station attendants often run your card for you then hand you the nozzle. Also no sales tax in Oregon, FYI.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:47 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 711 Likes on 274 Posts

Noise is not something they pay much attention to in either State. But as said, do not give them a reason. I5 in Washington is thick with troopers from Olympia on up. Helmets yes, they will pull you over! In Washington no endorsement, they will impound your ride. But oddly Insurance is not a requirement in Washington, but is in Oregon.

101 is a beautiful coast line both States. Its the RVs that can be a drag to follow on two lane portions of 101. Safe travels!

Old 05-28-2019, 12:41 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

In the last 40 years I have ridden extensively in Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. Not much in Montana, but a few times. Now I usually have a stock bike and ride sanely. Never had a bit of problem. I live a mile or so from an interstate in Washington and can hear plenty of loud pipes at times, pulling up the grade. I have to assume they are not a problem, if you are trying to not make a problem. Many states have helmet laws, just like other safety equipment is required on motor vehicles. I can't say if they are enforced because I've never seen someone push their luck. Its always a shock for me to see someone riding without a helmet in a busy place like Denver. I guess back in the day they looked like they were "free". Now now they look like an amateur. But its their business.

Quick Reply: PNW area riders: what's law enforcement like there?