Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know they shake....but damn.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 06:16 PM
rysonn
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I know they shake....but damn.......

Let me preface this by saying that my wife and I have had many harley's and currently have 4, 3 of which are touring. An 04 RK, and an 07 and 09 Street Glide. Also, what I am experiencing on the 07 Street Glide seems to have developed as it wasn't always there.

Anyway, I took the 07 to our indy shop due to loose handlebars, needed new starter clutch, wobble at high speed and behind semi's and at deceleration with clutch engaged and at idle a significant shake, more than I remember. Of course starter clutch and handlebars were taken care of now problem. Now, on to the other two issues:

For the wobble at high speed the first wanted to look at wheel bearings and that seemed fine. They did notice that the left side cowbell was loose and that the neck bearings needed adjusting, which of course they did. I picked the bike up and purposely took the highway home so I could get to highway speeds again to check it out.

Between 75-80 I did start to get a wobble again. Not as bad, I would say, but still there. Also I couldn't test the semi theory as there wasn't one for me to get behind. Again I also have an 09 Street Glide and don't have the issue. Additionally, I still have the shake when clutch is engaged at deceleration and at idle. The ignition switch even rattles now.

I called the Indy back and when he is done putting the new apes on the 09 I am going to take the 07 back again for him to look at. So, all of that being said:

Is there a potential issue that might cause both the high speed wobble and the deceleration/idle shake?
Besides the obvious motor mount, which they thought looked fine, is there anything else obvious that I may be missing?

Just as a point of reference the only difference between the Street Glides, besides the year, is that the 07 has 14 inch apes on it and the 09, up until now, is still stock bars.

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

front motor mount?

Old 06-07-2019, 06:27 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,475 Likes on 3,899 Posts

I'm guessing they would have looked at the front tire for cupping and checked air pressure . They should also look at rear swing arm bearings , any side to side play can cause a wobble also .

Old 06-07-2019, 06:30 PM
rysonn
Road Captain

Originally Posted by svarnster
front motor mount?
That was my initial thought too but the thought it was still in good shape. I'm sure they will check that again when I take it back.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:34 PM
rysonn
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
I'm guessing they would have looked at the front tire for cupping and checked air pressure . They should also look at rear swing arm bearings , any side to side play can cause a wobble also .
Yes, correct. They did check the tires which have no issues and air pressure was good. He did mention the swing arm when I called him back as a possibility. The guy is good and has the utmost concern for his customers safety. He is always going to try and fix the problem before band aid fixes but he mentioned too that perhaps just this particular bike might need a stabilizer if nothing else can be found. Again, the neck bearing adjustment did make a difference as it did improve and no, of course we won't be going 75-80 all the time but after me riding this bike originally and now my wife taking it over I just don't want to take a chance.

Who knows, maybe I'm crazy and this is just the harley shake and the street glide wobble I don't know.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:41 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Good things are said about the stabilizer , wouldn't hurt putting one on . But I would still have everything checked , especially the swing arm , which your going to do . You don't want to mask something that could be off . Also while they're looking at the rear , have them check for wheel alignment as well .

Old 06-07-2019, 06:44 PM
rysonn
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
Good things are said about the stabilizer , wouldn't hurt putting one on . But I would still have everything checked , especially the swing arm , which your going to do . You don't want to mask something that could be off . Also while they're looking at the rear , have them check for wheel alignment as well .

Ok, good to here. Again we trust the guy as we have used him for everything and he has a fantastic reputation here so I know he isn't just trying to sell another part. I will specify motor mount, swing arm and alignment with him. Would we feel alignment any other time besides just high speeds?

Old 06-07-2019, 06:51 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Depending on how much play there is , at slower speeds you may not even notice it . It would become more pronounced at higher speeds . Checking for play is easy enough to do , and it will tell him whether or not it needs addressing . .

If the wheel is just a bit off alignment , you may not notice it either until your at higher speeds .

Last edited by MyFavRk; 06-07-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:36 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

I did chrome lower swap and new tire in front tire. then the back started to feel loose. I did swing arm bushings added a true track stabilizer glide pro front mount and changed the shock oil in the stock rear shocks to 10 w. she feels solid up to 95 mph. above that she starts to lift and becomes a handful. Changing the shock oil made a lot more of a difference than I would have imagined.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:26 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

If the front tire is more than a couple
of years old, no matter the miles I would check it well. Especially the stock Dunlop’s. Have him take it off amd
check the balance if it isn’t almost new

Quick Reply: I know they shake....but damn.......