Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to rebuild the front suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 03:08 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Time to rebuild the front suspension...

I noticed a very slight dent in the top if the front fender when I was going over this 2003 Ultra before starting my rebuild project. I assumed that someone had been careless with the passing lights and let them fall on the fender. I was washing it last week and noticed that this dent is larger and the paint has a small scratch. I knew then it was from the tubes bottoming out and the fender hitting the brake line fastener under the lower triple tree. I checked the SAG and it is way too much like I expected.

I ran into this same problem with my 2001 FXD a few years back, and after messing around with aftermarket rebuild kits, heavier oil, and stock springs with no success, I put in Progressive springs and pulled all the aftermarket parts out (it blew out both upper seals) and put in the HD brand rebuild kits with 15W oil. That made a world of difference and although it was a little more stiff, I did not have anymore bottoming out issues no matter how hard I rode that bike...

So, now I see the same problem with this Ultra only this time I am thinking I should just go get the HD rebuild kits and put in Progressive springs first. They worked really well on the Dyna, why not with the Ultra?

Anyone have any experience with Progressive springs in their touring bike to share?

Last edited by skinman13; 06-11-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:12 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm really happy with the Progressive Monotubes.

The following users liked this post:
skinman13 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:03 PM
bikewrnch
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AWESOME people

I've had several experiences with Progressive and have never been let down.
now a lot of times the old saying comes true,
if you buy cheap you get cheap . Remember they are selling to all they can . But all in all AWESOME people .
p.s. you could also call them . They pretty smart fellas !

skinman13 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm running RaceTech single rate springs in my RK right now. I just picked up their gold emulators to install when I do my front end swap with the '08 front suspension. Ditched all the air suspension crap a few years ago.
Google RaceTech and check them out. I've been very satisfied with their product.

skinman13 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:59 PM
tjcaron
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Check out Pro-Action’s front fork kit. Cheaper than mono tubes and better IMO

skinman13 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 06:00 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Your story reminds of a friend that was given a guardian bell, gremlin bell, whatever you want to call them for his brand new bike and hung it below the triple tree. First ride he hit a big bump that bottom the forks and the bell put a huge dent on top of his fender. I was given one and it's been in my windshield since day one.

If you were happy with the progressive springs in your old ride, I don't see why you wouldn't be again. They heavier oil worked for me but I am extremely happy with the Pro Action shocks so I would go that route personally if I was going to change anything. Interesting read on their description of the kit. Link below

http://street.pro-action.com/fork-kits

skinman13 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 06:56 PM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
I'm running RaceTech single rate springs in my RK right now. I just picked up their gold emulators to install when I do my front end swap with the '08 front suspension. Ditched all the air suspension crap a few years ago.
Google RaceTech and check them out. I've been very satisfied with their product.
I second RaceTech gold valve emulators. Did them on my 85 Honda big Sabre. Send the inners to RaceTech and had them do the machine work and put them together myself. Didn't transform the front end into a MotoGP bike, but made more difference than I paid for. Will do the same thing on my Road King. Great people to work with and proven product. Well worth the $$.

skinman13 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

Check out Yelvington/Suspension Technologies. They have a front fork kit that has gotten a lot of praise.

skinman13 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:12 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I was going to put the new springs in from Progressive but opted for their cartridges...n9 experience with their springs but several haveyhem an$ are happy. I like the cartridges because it’s a bit stiff like I like it...it just makes for a more compliant ride that matches my Öhlins coil over shocks.

skinman13 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
Your story reminds of a friend that was given a guardian bell, gremlin bell, whatever you want to call them for his brand new bike and hung it below the triple tree. First ride he hit a big bump that bottom the forks and the bell put a huge dent on top of his fender. I was given one and it's been in my windshield since day one.

If you were happy with the progressive springs in your old ride, I don't see why you wouldn't be again. They heavier oil worked for me but I am extremely happy with the Pro Action shocks so I would go that route personally if I was going to change anything. Interesting read on their description of the kit. Link below

http://street.pro-action.com/fork-kits
I reviewed most of these products back when I was fighting this problem with the Dyna. My decision then to go with the Progressive springs had more to do with needing something and the local HD dealer just happened to have a pair of Progressive springs for my Dyna that a customer didn't pick-up and I got them at a discount...I was pleased with the results and I am leaning hard in that direction again.

I was very impressed with the overall handling with the Progressives in the Dyna but the ride was definitely more stiff on that light bike. My hesitance with going forward with just the Progressive springs is because I was concerned on how that stiffness is going to feel on the heavier EG. Also, the reviews I read on these other approaches also mention an increased stiffness in the ride. While I am working on a fixed restore budget, it is not a matter of cost as much as it is return. I believe that you get what you pay for, but in this situation, will the added $150+ cost over the Progressive springs upgrade return that much of a better ride?

I always planned on upgrading the front suspension on this older 61K mile bike but I didn't see any rush until I realized the dent was from the front suspension bottoming out and not someone's carelessness. Now it is a priority because I am planning a road trip to Colorado later on in the summer when I get this bike road ready.

Quick Reply: Time to rebuild the front suspension...