Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camping gear on rear seat with tour pak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 05:08 AM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default camping gear on rear seat with tour pak?

Folks, I’m looking for some creative ideas regarding either packing my tent gear, or a seat bag on my rear passenger seat with tour pak. I would like to use the back seat for camping gear, while trying one of those RickRak’s for the luggage rack. However there’s not a whole lot of areas to tie the gear down with speakers and all.
Im going to use the tour pak for my rain/cold weather gear, helmets, etc.
Heading to the PNW for a 3 week journey and running short on time. Thanks for any feedback offered.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:11 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Ask and you shall receive....
How about one of these?

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-26-2019, 06:15 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

I put my gear on the rear seat against the tour pak and wrap ROK straps around them attached to the tour pak support and to the tp rack. I use hard mount (factory) not detachable tp mount. I been over 20,000 miles that way with no problem. Just make sure you have no loose end flapping around to get in the wheel or scratch the paint.

Last edited by heavymetalthunder; 06-26-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:25 AM
patrick74
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Lots of room in this bag. Front straps to Saddlebag guard and top to tour pack rack.

https://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/...b+backseat+bag

Old 06-26-2019, 07:27 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

Heavy items go in the saddle bags so the weight is kept low and handling is not adversely affected. Something bulky and light on the back seat like a sleeping bag, clothes, etc.

The following users liked this post:
Hawg Runner (06-28-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:42 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I use a waterproof river bag from REI. Holds all the camp stuff, the tent, ground cloth, air mattress, bedding, pillow, mini stove and French press and stays dry. Easy to attach and could even be a backrest if I did not have one,

Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,251 Likes on 814 Posts

Generic kayak stuff sack or two will gather things together and keep them from getting wet. Tent, stove, food, etc stuffed in one makes a single biggish bundle that straps down fairly well across a seat. Two or three bags keep things from getting all messed up if say stove fuel leaks.

While there aren't many lashing points up high, there are numerous ones down lower on the bike. You can also use some bungee nuts, be they oem Harley or aftermarket.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:44 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 4,016 Posts

I went cross country using a T-Bag brand motorcycle bag on the passenger seat. They don't make T-bags anymore, but there are similar makes/styles out there. They're designed to go over/around a sissy bar and rest on the seat, or rack behind the seat. They also have straps on the corners of the bags.

I just tucked it into the passenger seat area. It has straps at the bottom of the bag that go back to front. I just wrapped them around the tourpak bracket on either side, to keep the bag centered in the passenger area... worked great!

Old 06-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

I use a dry sack and put my sleeping bag, pillows, blanket and some other soft items in it. Cargo net over the top and hook it down. Never moves and provides a little back support.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:03 PM
xltjim
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is brief summary of how I pack on my 2013 ultra classic. Some things you may find handy.

I have a small 3 man tent which goes into the left saddlebag along with my rain gear on top.

Right saddlebag has collection of tools, quart of oil, spare bungees, fire starters, camping stuff, gym shoes, etc (basically stuff I shouldn't need much while on the road).

Tourpak has chaps, jackets, sweatshirts, couple bottles of water, small amount of food (just in case).

On top of Tourpak I bought a small pack from Saddleman that attaches to the rack (designed for it). In there I put stuff I would need on the road - sunscreen, sweat shirt, first aid kit, etc.

I take my sleeping bag with small blanket and put it into a garbage bag and into a waterproof ruck sak and wedge my small air mattress in with it.

For my clothes I bought those plastic bags that you can seal and squeeze the air out of them to compact (I highly recommend these). I separate the clothes into several of these bags. I put two or three days worth of clothes into each one - this way you only have to open one a day. A garbage bag for dirty clothes and those get put back into those plastic bags as they are empty to save space. Separate one for towel/wash cloths. These bags all go into another ruck sak. and along with the sleeping bag pack get strapped with bungees to the brackets for the tourpak.

Have made several trips like this and have gotten pretty good on knowing what to take. Some times I don't even have much on top of the tour pak...which is a good thing.

Note - I once tried bringing small stove and utensils to cook, but it was a PIA. I eat a good breakfast, just snacks while gassing up, good dinner when I get to destination.
Have fun and ride safe.

Last edited by xltjim; 06-26-2019 at 01:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hawg Runner (06-28-2019)

Quick Reply: camping gear on rear seat with tour pak?