Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking some rear shock info

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 08:43 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Seeking some rear shock info

Hey all - I'll apologize for the length of this post in advance...

I have a 2011 Ultra Limited that I purchased used in 2016, with what I believe to be the year correct hand adjustable 12" (lowering) premium shock kit installed. The reason I say "I believe to be" is because neither shock has any part numbers listed on them - appears both labels had fallen off or were removed.

Middle of last week I dropped the bike off for a new rear tire install (at the local HD dealer as they were the only ones who could get me in on short notice with the goal of taking a semi last minute out of state trip). I got a call the following day telling my left shock was leaking. They tried to work with my recently (3 weeks) expired extended warranty provider but got no where. In the mean time they ordered the replacement shock and wanted $360 installed for it. I asked them to hold off on the shock, and within a day had sourced a set of 3000 mile used takeoffs from a '17 Roadglide for $200 from a rider in the next town over on a local yard sale site. Seemed like a no brainer so I bought the RG shocks, but by the time this had all gone down, no time left to install before I had to leave, so road trip on 4 wheels it was.

Fast forward to today - got home from road trip and started removing/replacing shocks. First noted that the new, replacement right side shock appears to have a shorter, much lighter spring with less pre-load. Left side appears visually almost identical, except for better label / markings on the dial adjuster. Old left definitely leaking - fairly significant amount of oily dirt on lower mount bolt. Which was BARELY MORE THAN FINGER TIGHT. Now I don't know if this is my failure to inspect (I haven't had the bags off since spring) or if the dealer would have loosened that bolt (either for shock inspection or tire change?) but it was WAY loose. Going to call dealer tomorrow and mention it. Thankfully was only about 10 mile ride home from dealer (assuming it wasn't loose before then...)

Anyway, used instructions for installation of original premium shock kit. Took it for a test ride. Seems nicer than what I had before at least solo - maybe a little more plush. Not sure if this will end up being a problem when I get to 2 up - wife and I plus gear are right at max GVWR. Anyway, that's the story to set the scene - now the questions:

-Can anyone point me to info on how to compare different shock part numbers, or determine what is compatible with what? If I find the new setup too soft 2-up, can I use the old stiffer right side (I think part 54000082) with the new left (part 54000096)?

-In the old setup, the end of the right side shock with the exposed piston shaft was installed on the lower mount, so that's the way I put in the new one. But after the fact looking at the new kit instructions, it shows the exposed shaft end UP, instead. I'm now inclined to remove and re-install the new one in the piston shaft up orientation - but does this really matter?

-In the year correct kit instructions, torque for mounting bolts are listed at 35-40 ft/lbs - so I installed at 38 ft/lbs. However, new kit instructions show 63-70 ft/lbs. Any reason I should use the higher torque value? Since I'm using the bolts from the old kit, and mounting to the 2011 bike, I'd assume the lower torque values are likely more correct (the new kit is listed as '17-'19 fitment, so DOES NOT technically include my bike). I REALLY wouldn't want to strip those mounts out.

Thanks for reading my novel - Hope you all got more riding in over the holiday than I did!

Dan

Old 07-07-2019, 09:25 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

The two shocks being different from each other is normal for that type. I would replace both as a set and don’t mix and match any other way. I’ve never seen them with shafts up. And I would go with the lower torque setting. You can put some blue locktight on it.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:50 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master

Originally Posted by cncmike
The two shocks being different from each other is normal for that type. I would replace both as a set and don’t mix and match any other way. I’ve never seen them with shafts up. And I would go with the lower torque setting. You can put some blue locktight on it.
Thanks for the input Mike. Here's a clip from the instructions for the '17 and up kit with the note about rod end up. Shown that way in all the pics as well.

Attached Thumbnails Seeking some rear shock info-screenshot_2019-07-07-22-47-46-790_com.opera.touch.jpg  
Old 07-07-2019, 11:46 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

It’s probably right then. I haven’t really read instructions for newer bikes

Old 07-08-2019, 04:43 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Could you show a pic of these, year correct hand adjustable rear shock for a ultra.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:56 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by cncmike
I’ve never seen them with shafts up.
there was a tb about this a while back. it has to do with the detachable hardware fitting.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:03 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master

Originally Posted by bundy43
Could you show a pic of these, year correct hand adjustable rear shock for a ultra.
Here you go.

First link is what I believe to have been on the bike since I got it in 2016.

https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/s...-03-5468010--1

Second link LOOKS like what I bought used from a 17 RG - right side shock part numbers match. Left side, the premium kit has 54000113, but the stock shock from RG is 54000096

https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/s...touring-shocks

And here's a side by side pic of the right side shocks I took while installing. The one on the left is the one that was on the bike, the one on the right is the '17 RG take off.

Attached Thumbnails Seeking some rear shock info-img_20190707_164117_compress91.jpg  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:18 AM
subgunner
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Saw a Vid of the right side shock with spring removed. Turns out there is no damping it just holds the spring. Mounted up or down would make no difference as long as it clears. From the pix it is evident that the spring rates are completely different from your original shocks. The old shocks have heavier springs so it's no wonder the ride is softer. Since the right side has no damping I don't see why you couldn't use it. Not sure that would be a fix since the left would still be too soft. Not an engineer but the only downside would be mis-matched springs might torque the swingarm?

Old 07-08-2019, 09:27 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dandrumheller
Here you go.

First link is what I believe to have been on the bike since I got it in 2016.

https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/s...-03-5468010--1

Second link LOOKS like what I bought used from a 17 RG - right side shock part numbers match. Left side, the premium kit has 54000113, but the stock shock from RG is 54000096

https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/s...touring-shocks

And here's a side by side pic of the right side shocks I took while installing. The one on the left is the one that was on the bike, the one on the right is the '17 RG take off.
ok when you said year correct is what had me very confused, because the shocks you have was not introduced till 2014.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:17 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by subgunner
Saw a Vid of the right side shock with spring removed. Turns out there is no damping it just holds the spring. Mounted up or down would make no difference as long as it clears. From the pix it is evident that the spring rates are completely different from your original shocks. The old shocks have heavier springs so it's no wonder the ride is softer. Since the right side has no damping I don't see why you couldn't use it. Not sure that would be a fix since the left would still be too soft. Not an engineer but the only downside would be mis-matched springs might torque the swingarm?
no, the swingarm is designed to handle the different load. it's really a mono shock type design with a secondary shock to match so it doesn't look out of place. that's why they don't recommend these shocks for pre 09 models because the swingarm on those bikes will have a hard time with the offset stress.

these shocks are only marginally better than the stock air shocks, and actually worse if you aren't heavy enough to activate the suspension. my wife got a much more comfortable ride with the air shocks vs these. they are really designed for a 200 lb + operator.

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (07-09-2019)

Quick Reply: Seeking some rear shock info