Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped bike/ pant leg caught on shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:03 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dropped bike/ pant leg caught on shift lever

Back in '82 or '83 I'd bought a first-year Honda V45 Sabre but had not yet taken delivery. Was working 3-11 and duties had me off-site for a while. It was a beautiful Rocky Mountain Western Slope spring day so stopped by the dealer to take the bike for a sport into Steamboat. Pulled up to a stop light after only about 3 miles of riding. Committed to putting right foot down and found it wouldn't go! I stabbed at it a few times before I got the presence of mind to discern the pant cuff was stuck on something so, against all instinct of what to do when a bike is going over, I pulled my leg up momentarily to clear the obstruction. I got very, very lucky. Thought I was going down for sure on my spanking-new ride in front of everybody...

Why doesn't HD put a long-enough rear shift lever on so we can place it down and back; out of the way? (I do understand the reasoning behind wanting to use the same part for both front and rear) I lengthened my linkage slightly (for about half a spline's worth of rotation) in order to be able to get it low enough that it would work reliably and leave the board with enough upward movement, but it's taking up an inch or so of the rear of the usable heel space back there. I've got long legs so the optional boards/mounts which move them forward slightly are probably in order anyway and that would fix the rear shifter positioning as well.

I just could not find the utility in using the heel shifter with it up so high like it came from the factory. Now there's an even better reason for not leaving it up like that!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:47 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So sad to hear of this.
I was going to ask if you were wearing 70's style bell bottoms.
Well if you have a shop do the work you will exceed the $500 deductible.
Best you do it yourself.
A good (QUALTIY) paint shop ought to be able to match the bike paint quite well. But repaint the whole bag not just spot job it.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:23 PM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: wikidoki
Well, it finally happend to me (knew it would someday). I pulled up to stop in traffic tonight on a steep hill and when I stopped to put my left foot down (right foot holding down rear brake) the bottom of my jean leg got caught on shift lever. The rest is history. It happened fast as everyone says and bam I was down. I scraped up my left knee and my pride was hurt. Now here is my question. It's a Streetglide, my left side latch is scratched up and the bottom corner of of the bag is pockmarked with gravel dings and scratches. The clutch lever is bent and the left edge of the fairing is scratched up. I can replace the latch myself with one from Harley. I am worried about having the bag painted....matching always seems to be a problem. I think i can touch up the corner of the fairing and replace the lever. I am not sure if I should notify my insurance company either. I have a 500 dollar deductible and you know they would love to jack up the rates if they get a chance. I may purchase a set of saddlebag rails for the next tip over. If I had the old Road King I think the saddlebag would have been saved. I also learned that baggy carpenter jeans can be dangerous, even though I have never caught them before. I was able to pick the bike up and be on it before the light turned green and traffic started moving again...bike did not seem heavy at all....must have been "super human embarrassment strength" kicking in. Any suggestions on paint. Would you guys send the bags away or get it painted locally. Im am in Maine and would like the bag to look factory. Twenty five years riding and this is my first tip over (not including dirt/enduro bikes). I guess it was inevitable and Im glad the wife or son was not on board. Thanks for the vent....stay safe
So pant leg caught on the heel shifter? Thinking about removing it? Heel arm of the shifter was one of the first things to go when I got my RKC. Cleans things up and more foot room too.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 PM
gordon188
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got hung up on the heel shifter and its in the tool box as a spare, I wear western boots and pro rodeo wranglers and haven't had an issue. Take the damn thing off.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:46 PM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

find a local shop that can spot it in.most reputable shops can spot paint the repair,then clearcoat the entire piece and make it look good.i own and operate a small bodyshop in n.c.i have done several pieces as i have described and all turned out well.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Major Bill
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gordon188

I got hung up on the heel shifter and its in the tool box as a spare, I wear western boots and pro rodeo wranglers and haven't had an issue. Take the damn thing off.
Up where this poor guy lives (Maine), they don't exactly wear western boots and pro rodeo wranglers.

Sorry man about your embarrassing moment... shake it off and enjoy your bike!

I wouldn't remove the heel shifter, as I love them... if I ride a bike without one I feel like something is missing...

Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: wikidoki

Well, it finally happend to me (knew it would someday). I pulled up to stop in traffic tonight on a steep hill and when I stopped to put my left foot down (right foot holding down rear brake) the bottom of my jean leg got caught on shift lever. The rest is history.
Because of this scenario, I installed saddlebag guards early on. All I need is one unfortunate incident like that and I'm looking at major damage. On several occasions I've put my foot down on slick pavement and my foot slipped, but in each case it has caught before the threshold of tipping over. I do know that the day is coming when it won't catch and will topple in the middle of the road. Picking it up won't be a problem, but I would like for this to happen without major damage, which is why I added the saddlebags guards. To me they don't detract from the bike's appearance and allow adding saddlebag guard bags, which I like very much.

I found these along with the supports on Ebay for $100, and this package is fairly common. I think most are made available by FLH owners who are looking for that leaner look. They may have second thoughts when they figure up the damage the first time it falls over.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Tech2
Tourer

Just got back from a ride, after reading this post earlier. I can't see how this is even possible. I actually tried to hook the leg of my jeans and couldn't do it. Your jeans must have a huge leg opening, or be extra long, or this is just a freak accident. I know as kids we sometimes would ruuberband out pant leg to keep it out of the sprocket on our 10-speed bikes. This was with bell-bottoms, of course.

Regardless, glad you got out of it ok.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:19 PM
wikidoki
Intermediate

I have been wearing the same jeans for the past12 years (well, same brand and style). I have had one Softail Nostalgia, two Road Kings and FLHT and the current Street Glide. I have never caught my pant leg even one time. Not even felt it catch on the heel shifter. That said, it happened and I still feel stupid. I know that sometimes I lift my leg up a little to catch the rear shifter and that is probably how they got hooked up, that and a little "wind gremlin". I looked the bike over today and went to the local dealer and picked up a clutch lever and ordered a colbalt pearl bag latch as well as a bottle of touch up to hold me over until I get it painted. I think I will wait until I put it away this fall and then send the bag to someone. One odd thing is the way the new hardbags "dent". The road gravel in near the center line dimpled the lower corner of the bag. It did not crack like the old fiberglass bags. I guess thats good. I began to replace the clutch lever and found that my snap-ring pliers were too big. Had to run to Sears and find a set with replaceable pins. Always a treat to buy some new tools. I looked the bike over again and actually am very surprised that it did not sustain more damage. I did notice a small scratch on the front crash bar but only I will know where it is. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the dealer charged me 22.95 for a micro bottle of touch up. Holy crap Batman....give me a break. Guess what, I bought it anyway because I can't drive around and look at the scratches. I think thatprice takes the cake on"the fleecingof theHarley rider".The clutch lever was only 29 bucks.What would HDowners of old have done...leave the damage and call it character.I am the same guy who refuses to buy HDclothing becauseI don't likepaying themso that I can advertise andit looks like theMotor Companygets the last laugh. Oh well, I am going to ride it to church tomorrow and park the damages side away so when I walk out I wont have to see it. Stay safe and watch your pant cuffs.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 AM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your misshap, never had it happen to me but close one time with long shoe laces. My suggestion is to lower the rear shift lever (front as well). I have no idea why Harley positions them so high you have to pick your foot up to use them. I have the front and rear shift levers positioned to where they just touch the floorboard when shifting.

As as rule when stopping I shift to neutral and place the right foot down first and the left foot only if needed. By the time I'm coming to a stop I'm on front brake only and use it to hold the bike at hills, etc. With the left foot still on the board, I'm ready to shift into first when I get rolling again.

Quick Reply: dropped bike/ pant leg caught on shift lever