Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 416 rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:30 PM
ride05
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive 416 rear shocks

Progressive rear shocks 416. Has anyone tried 416 air adjustable shocks on the rear of a Ultra. I am thinking the rear shocks are not working and going to change to progressive. I have the option of 412, 440 or the 416. I am assuming that the 416 is especially designed for the tourers. Am I correct? and how much better will the bike feel/handle with better shocks. I have 40,000klm and two year old bike.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:57 PM
GrandpaSpike
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Progressive 416 rear shocks

I put Progreesive 440's on my SERK aand noticed a big improvement in rode. No regrets.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:02 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Progressive is the only way to go...
If ya ride 2-Up go with the heavy duty
440 - Lifetime Warranty & Newer Valving
412 - Work Very Well - Limited Warranty

Old 07-30-2007, 09:40 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are the 440s that much better than the 412s TWICE the price ? ? ?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:20 PM
ride05
Novice

I have to ask the question again, why did Harley put air in the baggers for there size or was it just the adjustablity for weight carried. Progressive make an air shock called a 416, will this be better that stock? If I go a 412 or 440 do I need the heavy duty as I am 17 stone and do most riding one up. This is why I am asking about the 416 because when I take a passenger or load up for a long trip I add air to the stock shocks. Just trying to nut this out before spending $ on the wrong one.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:59 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced my 440 standard duty with the 416 air shock.

The 440 shocks, both the HD and standard have specific weight limitations, and you have to try to guess the manual adjustment each time you add a passenger or luggage. I went back with the Progressive 416 air shocks, easy to adjust for different weight requirements, and I think they ride better. If you are a 150# rider with a 90# passenger the 440 shocks work fine. If you are 350#+ they bottom out no matter how you adjust them. If you go with the HD shock you need 300#+ to get them to ride good.

I've noticed some riders don't have a clue if their shocks bottom out or not. Rode behind a buddy and his wife. His 440 shocks bottomed out on every bump, they were adjusted in the middle position, and he was not aware they were bottoming out. Adjusted them to the third notch, same thing, bottomed out. They are adjusted to the max , now they will ride stiff with a single rider. You have to remove the saddle bags and manually turn the adjustments to change the ride, then install the saddle bags.What a pain!

To answer your question, bike manufacturers install the air shocks on touring bikes because of the ever changing load requirements and they are very easy to adjust. They just don't use a quality shock like the Progressive 416.

You have to replace all the air lines when installing the 416 shocks. The Harley air lines won't work. Use caution they are all plastic, so not too tight! Also the bushings have to go a certian way into the shock. Easy job about 1-1/2 hours to install and run the new air lines and test ride.

The air pressure in the Progressive 416 shocksruns higher than the HD. I run 20# for solo (200#) and 30-40# for two up. (350#) Their max is 70# instead of the 35# for Harley shocks. The 416 shock rides very well and has good shock travel without bottoming out once you get the air adjusted for your weights.

Don't get me wrong, the 440 shocks are a good shock and ride great if you stay within the weight limitations. I really liked my 440's, I just think the 416's are a better choice for a touring bike and are easier to adjust.

My .02 worth.

Steve

Old 08-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Lee n Tj
Advanced

I recently replaced my stock air shocks on my 93 ultra and couldn't be happier. The old would bottom out any time my wife was on the bike and she is a 100lbs. wet. just going over a slight depression in the pavement.. I went with the 416's because I felt they would be easier to adjust for different loads than having to remove the bags each time to adjust the spring setting. I am still zeroing in on pressures, but it looks like 20# solo, 30-35 two up and 40-45 two up touring and loaded down. I got them for $282.00 and the kicker was a guy at work wanted my old ones and gave me $100 for them. They will likely be okay since he never rides 2 up and his were leaking,etc. so he will likely be happy.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 PM
ride05
Novice

Tanks SteveO and others thats great help. My originals just don't seem to be working enough, and I know several people who have had the original ones fail and be replaced under warranty. I have ridden my bike hard and been on many gravelroads and thinking even if the originals were decent when new I bet two years and 40,000 ks later they are average. If the Progressive is as good or better product than standard I have nothing to loose. I was just checking because so many are doing the 440 and raving about the differance.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:36 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

went with 440 standard springs. i'm 220 and often ride 2 up, girl is 140. progressive reccomended the standard spring. i ride agressively solo and like as much ground clearance as possible and i also do a fair bit of 2 up fully loaded touring. i have found 1 turn from full stiff with the 440's gives me what i want under all conditions. no more messing with air and the bike is so much smoother and eliminated all wallowing in the corners.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:55 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be going from Chattanooga to California and backthe end of the month for 3-4 weeks, I'll let you know how the 416 shocks hold up!

I am very pleased with them so far. Doesn't bottom out with 15 pounds in them with me alone. 30 pounds with wife and gear. Great smooth ride. Lots of shock travel.

Again I liked my 440 shocks, just needed a shockthat I can easily adjust for the different loads on the bike. Thats the advantage of the 416 air shocks.

Steve

Quick Reply: Progressive 416 rear shocks