Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive 440's and IAS

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:40 PM
creep1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default progressive 440's and IAS

I recently read some of you are runnin progressive 440's on their sg's. Im lookin into upgradin my rear suspension on my RG also lowering an inch. My question is the 440's do not run air so what do you do bypass the lines ? Also has anyone or anyone you know ran the IAS airtail ? I read a review in hotbike and they rave about it.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: progressive 440's

When you lower the rear you reduce the shock travel - Giving you a little FIRMER RIDE...
NO the 440 - 412 & 418 are not air or air assist shocks - But WILL IMPROVE YOUR RIDE over OEM Shocks
Progressive does make an Air Ride System - But like ALL air ride systems they're alot more $$$$

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

You can do a search and you'll find many threads on the topic

Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: progressive 440's and IAS

The air lines come off when you remove the stockers.

CN

Old 07-31-2007, 04:20 PM
creep1
Road Captain

Any suggestions or opinions ? I want to gain performance ( handling). Aside from being more comfortable, does the air provide any other benefits ? Does the IAS system handle as well as the 440's while providing the air comfort ?? This is what i want to know. If the ias provides the best of both worlds then i would think it was worth the money .

Old 07-31-2007, 04:42 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

i switched from the stock shocks to the progressive 440's standard spring on my RG. stayed at the same lenght as i didn't want to lose cornering clearance. much improved ride with zero wallowing. not sure what you mean "Does the IAS system handle as well as the 440's while providing the air comfort" as the 440 is IAS. no more dealing with air pump and i found a setting that suits me from solo to 2 up fully loaded.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:04 PM
creep1
Road Captain

I was refering to the IAS airtail from progressive. It is a air and coil shock. They are claiming that you can adjust the height without affecting the ride ( firmness). So I would think you would achieve the performance of the 440's with the comfort and adjustability of air ? I really dont know what the hell im talkin about. Actually a little confused about the IAS shocks. I'm not concerned with price, I always end up doin everything twice. Just wanna get the best performance, but if I can acheive the ultimate handling along with the air comfort then I wanna get the IAS right off the bat.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Shocks 101
Changing the AIR PRESSURE "WILL" change the ride of the motorcycle...

When you lower the rear you reduce the SHOCK TRAVEL - Giving you a FIRMER RIDE..

Performance: Lower the bike the better chance you have of bottoming out and scrapping the floorboards on corners -

Old 07-31-2007, 05:37 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

ORIGINAL: creep1

I was refering to the IAS airtail from progressive. It is a air and coil shock. They are claiming that you can adjust the height without affecting the ride ( firmness). So I would think you would achieve the performance of the 440's with the comfort and adjustability of air ? I really dont know what the hell im talkin about. Actually a little confused about the IAS shocks. I'm not concerned with price, I always end up doin everything twice. Just wanna get the best performance, but if I can acheive the ultimate handling along with the air comfort then I wanna get the IAS right off the bat.
gotcha, i'm not familiar with the airtail ias but as stated above i would think lowering is lowering and yer gonna lose cornering clearance and shock travel. i would call progresive and talk to them. they were extremely helpfull with me in deciding to go with the standard or heavy duty shocks when i purchsed my 440's.

edit: sounds like the airtail might be what you're looking for if money isnt an issue and you want the freedom to lower your bike for cool cruising and then raise it up for backroad fun or 2 up touring...

Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 PM
creep1
Road Captain

The only reason i wanna lower my RG is because I cant flat foot the bike.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:57 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Instead of big bucks for shocks that'll make your bike handle and ride worse ( I'm talking about the lowering shocks ) I'd check with one of the sponsers on the board about taking and inch out of your seat, it'll bemore comfy and much cheaper andstill have that great Road Glide ride and handling! I know his name I just can't think of it [:@]and besides, with the money I just saved you, you can buy a I-Pod Nano and one of my Vertabrae I-Pod mounts

Quick Reply: progressive 440's and IAS