Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is the best touring tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:56 PM
roadglidepa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the best touring tire

I am researching what other riders consider to be the best touring tire. I ride a 2006 Road Glide so I am looking for other riders of the Road Glide, Road King, Street Glide or Ultra. Thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which is the best touring tire

Metzler! Front and rear.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 311 Likes on 181 Posts

You'll get tons of replys I am sure. I just ordered a set with new wheels today. I flip flopped back and forth from Metzler to Avon and talked at length with Jerry at Hog Pro. I ended up going with Avon Venoms and their new harder compound which supposedly wears very well. Time will tell. All of my prior tire upgrades were always Metzlers.

BM

Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It ALL DEPENDS on what your looking for.... A softer tire will normally give you better grip but won't last as long - A harder compond tire will give you better wear miles but not normally better grip???

Secret is looking at the tread wear ratings!!!

Old 07-31-2007, 11:32 PM
SeaHag
Road Master

The Michelin commanders were the best tire I've used to date; but I'm pretty happy with the Dunlop Elite III's that came with my new roadglide too. If the Elite III's last as long as the Michelins did for me, I would probably give the riding edge to the Dunlops.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:57 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Years agoI ran Conti's, and always liked them. Then with the Ultra, came the dunlopped off your wallet tires.

Have been through two rears and am now getting ready to change out another. The front could probably go one more rear change, but I am biting the bullet and changing it also soI can change brands.

The tire I am looking real hard at is the Continental Milestone, if it does as well as the old Conti'sI should be pleased. The one thing that got me looking at them was the front tire lost the center groove that tracks imperfections in the roadway and causes wander of the front end.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...estone_en.html

Old 08-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

I am completly satisfied with the Elite 3's I recently put on my Street nGlide. Everyone rave's about the Metz 880's, and there must be something to it because I hear so many people swear by them. I installed a set on a 95 EG I owned at the time and they scared the crap outta me, felt way to squirly. Now that is just my experiance. These Dunlops feel rock solid and true. I was real impressed.....Putt

Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

Years agoI ran Conti's, and always liked them. Then with the Ultra, came the dunlopped off your wallet tires.

Have been through two rears and am now getting ready to change out another. The front could probably go one more rear change, but I am biting the bullet and changing it also soI can change brands.

The tire I am looking real hard at is the Continental Milestone, if it does as well as the old Conti'sI should be pleased. The one thing that got me looking at them was the front tire lost the center groove that tracks imperfections in the roadway and causes wander of the front end.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...estone_en.html
The conti milestones were one of the previous tires I'd ran, and I'll never go back to them based on my experience. The rear tire was shelled by 7000 miles which is the shortest wearing tire I've ever ran [second worst was my stock D402 at 8400], and the traction and tread compound was not confidence inspiring at all....as a matter of fact, I never had more problems with 'tar snakes' in the roadway than I did with these tires. With a name like milestones and that attractive and unique looking tread design, I expected much more from them.

If you choose to try them anyway, I would be interested in another persons opinion of them, as peoples opinions and experiences tend to vary; but there doesn't appear to be many people running the Contis as I rarely ever see a review.

Like I said above, the Michelin commanders have handled as well or better than any of the other four tires I've ran and the rear held up for 11,000 miles.....over 2000 miles more than I usually expect to get.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:00 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I am limited in choice as I run Wide White Walls. So far I have run the D402s, ME880s, and amd currently running the Venoms. Last year I replaced my Metzlers when I noticed sidewall cracks. This was about the time some riders were experiencing Metzler blow outs, and chunks of the tires coming off. I know there are pics on the web somewhere of some of these tires. Sincemy Metzlershad a lot of tread left, the tire shop gave me some credit for the return, and I went with Avons. I just replaced the rear last week, and was looking hard at those Milestones. But he didn't have them in stock, so I went with another Avon.

When the Avons wear out I will probably go with the Milestones, or EliteIIIjust to try them out. I'll probably go back to blackwall too.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:06 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What are you wanting? Grip, good tracking, mileage? Then you have two choices; Dunlop Elite III or Continental Milestone.

Quick Reply: Which is the best touring tire