Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Tires vs. Handling

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 11:19 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Fat Tires vs. Handling

When I was in college bikers were getting surplus Harleys with really Fat tires. I was riding a Triumph then a Matchless during those years... Skinny tires. Those bikes, and many others, easily ran circles around Harleys. Now HD is putting out bikes with Fat tires again. (I had a Nightrain... fat back tire like I was drag racing or whatever). Is this just a fad? I have nothing from my past that tells me that I should run out and buy a fat tire Harley. Am I mistaken (old bikers need to chime in... those that have ridden well handling bikes from their past?)

Plus, it was easy to change tires by hand back then... and a WHOLE lot cheaper. My RK has as fat a tire as I would ever want to have... tell me why I'm wrong?

Old 03-22-2021, 11:45 AM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 863 Likes on 511 Posts

Most of the fat tire bikes are for looks. Fat tires aren't bad. They add straight line stability but will feel "heavier" and slower to respond in corners. It takes more effort to roll the fat tires on its side in a lean but not overly hard. After all how would a FatBoy look with normal size tires?
The standard size tires on the touring bikes are sized to handle the weight of the bike, rider, passenger and gear. The total load capacity of a modern touring bikes is more than a 60s-70s Brit bike weight.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 12:08 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 880 Likes on 415 Posts

When HD first fattened its rear tire in 2009 after changing the frame, everyone raved about the improved stability. I never thought the trade-off was worth it as low speed handling was compromised. In my garage I have a 2012 Road King and a 1994 Electraglide. In low speed situations, that hulk of an Electraglide manuvers much more easily than the newer Road King.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:29 PM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,601 Likes on 2,667 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
.. tell me why I'm wrong?

You are not wrong
JMO

The following 2 users liked this post by eighteight:
hattitude (03-22-2021), Puglia10 (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 12:40 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,710 Likes on 3,249 Posts

When I was in college bikers were getting surplus Harleys with really Fat tires. I was riding a Triumph then a Matchless during those years... Skinny tires. Those bikes, and many others, easily ran circles around Harleys. Now HD is putting out bikes with Fat tires again. (I had a Nightrain... fat back tire like I was drag racing or whatever). Is this just a fad? I have nothing from my past that tells me that I should run out and buy a fat tire Harley. Am I mistaken (old bikers need to chime in... those that have ridden well handling bikes from their past?)

Plus, it was easy to change tires by hand back then... and a WHOLE lot cheaper. My RK has as fat a tire as I would ever want to have... tell me why I'm wrong?
The fact those other bikes you mention were generally at least a couple hundred pounds lighter than a Harley probably was a major factor in their agility as well.

1313 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 01:05 PM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,601 Likes on 2,667 Posts

An early Knuckle with 18`' tires "handles better" than `40 and up with 16" balloon tires

According to some the current Fat Boy with very wide tires F&R doesn`t "turn in" easily , heresay as I have not ridden one.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:20 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,346 Likes on 3,679 Posts

Well had to look for your birthdate but when you mentioned Matchless, I guessed about right. I'm not sure what you consider a fat tire for back then but the widest at the time was what a 5.10 which is equivalent to a 130 now days.

A 2000 nighttrain ran a 200mm tire in the rear which is too wide, IMO. Nothing wrong with a good profile 170/180 tire tho on a lighter bike (not touring).

The late model touring run a 180 which isn't too bad. The big issue is that HD added 1/2 inch of trail to the chassis. It makes the bike more stable than the 08 and earlier touring but gives up some on the handling in lower speed corners and neutrality in the rest. The newer bikes want to fall into the corners at low speed and go straight at higher speeds I agree with Uncle Peepers. Some of this is tire choice and as it wears.

A good 180 tire with the right profile cam make for a real nice handling bike. I run a 180/55x18 (Bridgestone excedra) on a 2000 FXDX and the tire feels good from new to worn out. Baggers aren't as forgiving. I have a 17 RK and so far the best tires for me have been stock and AEs. Michelin CIIs and Avons were OK to start but the second half of the tire sucked.

One of the main things I don't like about running a 180 tire on a heavy bagger is that it upsets the balance when rolling to a stop on a uneven surface. A 130 to 150 seems a lot less susceptible to me.

Back in the late 60s/ early 70s, a good running Triumph / BSA / Norton would run circles around a HD big twin. Did not see how they'd do against a sporty tho.

eighteight (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 07:17 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,313 Likes on 861 Posts

Been a long time since Matchless was a current bike, or surplus Harleys were essentially being given away at Army surplus auctions. Motorcycles have changed a lot since then.

The wide tires are a styling thing. You don’t see them on motoGP bikes, or any bike noted for good handling. That’s kind of a “duh”. Right up there with extended forks, they don’t improve handling either.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:18 AM
jfl330
Road Captain
Received 305 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by eighteight
An early Knuckle with 18`' tires "handles better" than `40 and up with 16" balloon tires

According to some the current Fat Boy with very wide tires F&R doesn`t "turn in" easily , heresay as I have not ridden one.
I traded in my 18 Fatboy because of the handling. The 160/240 F/R combo made cornering a chore, not a pleasure. I got a 20 Sport Glide and couldn't be happier with the 130/180 combo. Handles like a dream.

The following 2 users liked this post by jfl330:
eighteight (03-23-2021), Lammy1000 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:27 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Peepers
When HD first fattened its rear tire in 2009 after changing the frame, everyone raved about the improved stability. I never thought the trade-off was worth it as low speed handling was compromised. In my garage I have a 2012 Road King and a 1994 Electraglide. In low speed situations, that hulk of an Electraglide manuvers much more easily than the newer Road King.
My 2006 Nightrain had a 200 mm tire...

Quick Reply: Fat Tires vs. Handling