Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad idle with big bore 95 ci kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:14 PM
kmille
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad idle with big bore 95 ci kit

Just had my 2001 88ci upgraded to the 95ci big bore kit, with the big bore 203 cams. I have true dual screaming eagle pipes (older type) a screaming eagle air cleaner and a Power Commander. The bike runs GREAT when I am moving at over 30 mph. No complaints there. The problem is with the idle which is real rough and moving at 0-30 mph in traffic. At this low speed the motor seems like it is backfiring and pops like crazy through the pipes. When the dealer did the kit for me (Harley dealer) he told me that he uploaded the screaming eagle map for the motor to my ecm. He did not touch the Power Commander which was mapped for my 88ci engine when I had it installed and dynoed. When I brought the bike back to him, he uploaded a generic map from the Power Commander website to my PC and it runs only a little better. The idle is still real ropugh and the low speed is terrible. Would having the bike put back on the dyno help me out here or am I wasting the 450 bucks to dyno tune it. Is this some type of conflict between the ecm map and the Power Commander map? Should they both be mapped??? I always thought the when I got the Power Commander I did not need to have a map uploaded to my ecm. I am new at this, so bare with me please. What are your thoughts?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Default RE: bad idle with big bore 95 ci kit

Sounds like your PCIII mapping is off. I would take the bike back to the dyno tuner and have him remap it! If the tuning was done correctly, you should not experienced any popping or low idle.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Kreuzen
Cruiser

You need a good tuner-the PC is out of wack.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Rocket Jockey
Tourer

I am sure this is a glass half empty, worst case scenario but...... I had a similar issue and it turned out that the HD mechanic that did the Stage II big bore putthe cams in wrong!!! The cams were installed one spline off of correct. Not enough to keep it from running or to damage any internals but it idled like crap, got terrible gas mileage and the performance was notwhat it should have been.

Best of luck,
RJ

Old 08-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anytime I hear about a poor idle, I think of a vacuum leak. I'd check the intake path for a leak - easy to make a mistake in those areas.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:39 PM
whateva
Tourer

I had the same exact problem with my bike even after a questionable tune. I lived with it till I got the tmax. Now it idles and run great at low speeds.
It's the tune,,, get a tmax!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also would check intake leaks. But, seems to me should have the stealer put the base factory 88 map back in the ECM and then work with PC for a close map. But, thought the 2001's were still carbs.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Save yourself alot of headache, have it dynoed, also the 203 cams will have a little lick to them.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

My 99 Ultra is FI. It idles low but runs great and I get 40-50 mpg. It has the 95 CI and 203 cams as wel but no other computor add ons. The prev owner had a PCIII on and took it off since the mileage dropped to 35.

Toby

Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did they also retune your throttle position?
this needs to be done with the power commander removed.
Not sure if the stage one or two download includes this setting.
Have it checked or done first, then remap the P.C. for the changes.

Quick Reply: bad idle with big bore 95 ci kit