Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

random observations between my EG and Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 07:05 PM
mickier
Intermediate
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default random observations between my EG and Heritage

Just trying to put words to the different experiences of my 2000 Electra Glide and my (previous bike) 2007 Heritage Classic...

Loved both of them a lot. Not a love/hate comparison, just expressing how I felt about both of these bikes... First difference that's pretty huge to me was the 6 speed in the Heritage. I do miss that extra gear. Not sure how difference the actual final drive is, but the Heritage didn't seem to be working as hard to go 80+.

One of my favorite things that I notice most on my EG is the fact the engine seems to be nearly silent. (not the pipes!) The "washing machine" swishing sound from my Heritage "B" motor was a detractor to me - nothing like the engine "noise" you get from a Triumph or Royal Enfield for example, but there's something super sweet about hearing the exhaust pulses and nearly nothing else... The "A" motor is pretty great IMHO!

When I first got the Heritage it had just 2000 miles on it, and was visually nearly perfect. It had been a while since I had ridden a big bike, and I was amazed how quickly the bike seemed to "shrink" from the giant motorcycle I first rode home, to the fun, "normal sized" machine I really enjoyed.

It was a couple of years after I sold the Heritage before I picked up the 2000 Electra Glide Standard, and I don't remember it feeling particularly big or heavy. (Well, it IS, but maybe knowing it is a big bike made my mind feel like it wasn't really that big... dunno!)

There are the obvious differences - especially from my wife's perspective as she now views the world from her perch leaning back on the tourpack... and I have to admit that her enjoying trips more, does help me enjoy trips more too... ha!

One "guilty" pleasure comes down to polishing... Seems like I needed to spend almost an equal amount of time/energy polishing and doll-ing up the Heritage - chrome everywhere - even the spokes... Not so on the EG Standard - I spritz the paint and wipe down the exhaust and it's gleaming... well gleaming enough to satisfy this somewhat lazy rider(!)... (I hate to admit it, but this has increased my enjoyment quotient a bit) Yes my "Standard" does pale when parked near the numerous gorgeous chrome queens, but everything's a trade-off I guess...

I've loved all my bikes - well most of them anyway - not the horrible little Yamaha 650 special twin though, but I can say that my 2000 FLHT is my all time favorite - I even love the carburetor (which has treated me perfectly since I got it)... I don't mind having to remember to shut the petcock, and would trade that to get the very melodious idle sound! I'm sure a later model would be even more fun with a lot more power and 6 speed, but I'm just thankful.

Happy thanksgiving to all! - just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying this motorcycle.

The following 2 users liked this post by mickier:
sam_spade (11-23-2022), Steelie68 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 07:51 AM
cycleman11
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but my experience is somewhat similar to yours. I had a 2008 Heritage Classic Softail and my current bike is a 1998 Electra Glide Classic.Both bikes are/were bone stock. I never got comfortable on the Heritage, the forward controls put too much pressure on my sit bones, ( I tired 4 different seats ) and the heat from the engine was unbearable in some situations. The old 98 EG Classic is much more comfortable to ride, handles better in the twisties and is much cooler ( temperature ) to ride. I'm familiar of the bagger wobble, and I have installed a brace which helps quite a bit, but it isn't perfect if you are really pushing the bike through corners etc. I've had other bikes that exhibit the same symptoms when pushed hard and it is not unique to Harleys of this generation. You learn to live with it. The brakes on either bike are just adequate, you need to pay attention and plan ahead a bit.

With respect to 5 speed verses 6 speed. If you are on the interstate and want to travel at higher speeds then the 6 speed has some benefits, but soon as you hit the hills, you have to down shift. Overall the 5 speed works better in real world riding for me than the 6 speed did on my Heritage. You have to shift less with the 5 speed, and the 6 gear is an over drive. In the twisites at lower speeds it is much easier to find a gear you can stay in on the 5 speed than the 6 speed. Just let the engine rev a bit.

As to power, neither bike stock is a powerhouse. I know the 96 CI has more power and the newer fuel injection is better than the carb, but in real world driving going down the highway, I don't find the power difference an issue. Sure the 0-60 times will be less on the old evo, but if you want to pass, it has no trouble doing that. The Heritage having the B engine doesn't have as much vibration as the A engine in the Evo, but at speed 65-75 mph going down the highway the A engine is pretty smooth. One thing for sure when both bikes are warmed up you know which one is which just from the sound.

Just my two cents for what that's worth. Not knocking either bike, just that the old bike works better for me and the type of riding I do.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:41 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,850 Likes on 833 Posts

Traded my 2012 Super Glide Custom for a 2006 Electra Glide Classic last Summer. There's just something about the Electra Glides that keeps drawing me back to them. I've owned two Electra Glides, a Road King, and two Street Glides. By far, the Electra Glides are my favorites. However, I'm not a fan of the newer models, just too much junk on them, I much preferred older models without so many gadgets. My 2006 is a keeper for sure.