Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holding clutch in or put in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:52 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
Any of you guys that can't find neutral need to adjust your clutch properly.
They need to adjust the shifter pawl on the rear linkage.

The following 2 users liked this post by hbsoldier3:
mctraveler (01-24-2019), whiskeyfire (01-26-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 07:25 AM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

My procedure for a stop at a red light. Unless I will be the first vehicle in line I look for a hole to escape in case I hear some brain dead driver slamming on the brakes, I have a route to scoot through. I then hold the clutch and keep the bike in 1st until I have at least 3 cars or more stopped behind me.

Reason: Every time I have seen a rider get hit from behind at a light.....they either are severely injured or killed. Most have died.

I shake my head all the time at riders because the vast majority get in the middle of the lane and/or get to close to the vehicle in front to make a quick getaway. Darwin's theory applies.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:57 AM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

A topic isn’t done once everything has been said....it can’t end until everything has been said by everybody.

So, here’s my deal and a story that contradicts me....

I am aware of my surroundings when I stop at lights. Like others have said, I may put my bike in neutral but only after I am surrounded by cars that are stopped and clogging up any escape route. But I also have been taught that being in gear is the accepted strategy....and for good reasons.

Now my story.....

Sitting at a gas station exit onto a well travelled 2 lane road - exit is about 200 yards from the 2 lane intersecting with a major 4 lane state highway to my left. So the 2 lane road is always packed in tight when the light is red. I’m trying to turn left, but waiting on the light to change and traffic to clear. This will take a while, so since I’m in a driveway/parking lot of a business with no one around me-I shift into neutral and wait. Then I notice multiple cop cars with lights flashing speed into the intersection of the 4 lane and 2 lane roads. Immediately I know I am about to witness a high speed chase not 200 yards from me. Exciting!!! Then, it dawns on me that there is another entrance to the gas station off of the 4 lane that is located behind me with gas islands in between. Before I can react - remember, there is a long line of traffic in front of me trying to get into the intersection that is now blocked by cops - I see the stolen vehicle enter off the 4 lane with his route being between gas islands, with the only exit from the station being where I’m now parked in neutral. If I had been in first gear, I could have reacted. But since any escape route would have been in the ONLY direction he could take out of the station, I very likely could have made the situation even more dangerous for me if I reacted and moved. So I was frozen at the mercy of this kid’s driving ability. Amazingly, he made it through the station and out on the road as if he was Sunday driving. They got him very shortly after he turned in front of me. It would have been no advantage to him to hit me as he maneuvered to turn right in front of me, but his managing to avoid me was impressive as he weaved between the pump islands at a pretty good clip. So this story offers no real insight into the question of gear/neutral, but it is related. In my case, the best answer would have been to get off the bike and move away from the exit. But there was no time to think about that as a viable option.

Funny....the thing I remember most vividly was the facial expression of the kid in the shotgun position. It was like they were cruising without a care in the world. Stolen car....almost assuredly going to jail in a short while, but calm as could be. I’d have been freaking out.

Last edited by cmhdwg09; 01-25-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
Funny....the thing I remember most vividly was the facial expression of the kid in the shotgun position. It was like they were cruising without a care in the world. Stolen car....almost assuredly going to jail in a short while, but calm as could be. I’d have been freaking out.
It's strange how we can remember facial expressions just before the crap hits the fan. I remember the facial expression of a teenage passenger of a small truck that pulled out in front of me just before I T-Boned them about 30 yrs ago. That kid saw it coming.
I was in My Dodge 1/2 ton truck with an ATV in the back. The ATV was strapped up tight against the tailgate with two good nylon ratchet straps. The kid that pulled out in front of me never saw me coming. I locked up and managed to miss the cab of the little truck hitting just behind the cab. If I had hit their cab, it's no doubt in my mind, I would have killed the kid in the passenger seat. Both trucks were totaled.

The straps on the ATV stretched enough from the impact that the ATV came forward enough to push in the back of the cab and knock the back glass out. When I checked the ATV, it was tight against the tailgate again.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:08 AM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
They need to adjust the shifter pawl on the rear linkage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KwYxJjjvYI&t=239s
Thanks for sharing this video. This is the only thing I haven't done to try to fix my neutral issue. When it's not -12 degrees here I need to try this.

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:20 AM
dvldawg2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto - always be prepared in gear

Old 02-05-2019, 08:09 AM
DesertRider66
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

had this happen ... long time ago. Cage barrelling towards the light, moved into the turn lane and the cage ran the light and T-boned cross traffic. A lesson well learned. I almost always keep it in gear, but if Im blocked from behind I do drop to neutral but not often.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:31 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
.................................................. . It would have been no advantage to him to hit me as he maneuvered to turn right in front of me, but his managing to avoid me was impressive as he weaved between the pump islands at a pretty good clip. So this story offers no real insight into the question of gear/neutral, but it is related. In my case, the best answer would have been to get off the bike and move away from the exit. But there was no time to think about that as a viable option.
I'm not even sure it's related, but it is a good story. Thanks

Beary

Old 02-05-2019, 11:25 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Qball
OK answered so many times already, in gear. If you can't manage to hold in the clutch for however long, you shouldn't be riding.
You must spend a lot more time 'practicing' your left hand......

I joke - I'm actually left handed for that matter. But if you've been riding in stop and go traffic, and/or rush hour traffic, your hand it gonna hurt and get tired regardless.

I never really thought about it much, but I generally keep it in gear unless it's a long light.