Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checked the fairing braces today....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 PM
BGHV65
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Checked the fairing braces today....

....and didn't find any of the vertical ones cracked. I had already replaced both of the horizontal ones on each side that run to the speakers. While I had the fairing off, I shook it on each side while holding the handle bar and it still seemed very "weak" and would flex a good bit. I have the 3pocket windshield pouch and it has always vibrated so bad I had to place a foam pad under it. I decided to make some more braces to add some support to the outside of the fairing, thinking it would stop some of the shaking/vibrating. I ran one from the lower bolt on the right side down on the fork up to the hole where the screw holds the fairing. Then I added a bracket from the original one down to the new one. On the left side, the lighter is in the way so I drilled a hole in the vertical bracket just above the lighter socket and mounted the new onefrom there to the fairing screw hole on this side. I also ran another brace from the original down to the new one. Where the holes are for the fairing screws, I just drilled holes in the new bracket and aligned them so when you replace the fairing, the screws go through the new brackets and that's what secures them. I didn't want to drill any holes in my inner fairing so this seemed the best option.

Well, I took the bike out for a few hours and you won't believe the difference! The windshield pouch hardly vibrates (still does a little depending on RPM's) but before, it was so bad it sounded like a woodpecker on steroids. Also, you can see and "feel" there's a lot less overall vibration so I think it definitely has helped. Just thought I would mention this on the forum in case anyone else has had experience with broken brackets and wants to shore up the fairing. Sorry no pics, I didn't even think about it until tonight when I logged onto the forum. Maybe later but the less I have to take that fairing off, the better!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:25 AM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Checked the fairing braces today....

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]PLEASE!!!!