Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hearing my music problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 08:33 PM
raylc
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hearing my music problem

I am very hard of hearing and struggle with listening to my music when I ride. I wear hearing aids but not when I ride. It makes the wind sound like someone blowing into a microphone. I have tried Harley wireless headphones but can't hear anything through them when I'm riding. Does someone make ear budz that will link to the Harley bikes. Any help or advise? Thanks.
Ray

Old 03-06-2023, 09:17 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 371 Likes on 281 Posts

What headset do you currently have? Does it happen to have a 3.5mm jack to plug a pair of ear buds into? If so, I use a few different ones from PlugUp and they sound great and give pretty decent noise isolation as well. While I do have the custom molded ones I actually find the S Plugs are more comfortable for longer rides.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:32 AM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 887 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by raylc
I am very hard of hearing and struggle with listening to my music when I ride.
Hi Ray, welcome to the forum!

I use AirPods Pro, they allow me to listen to music, recieve alerts from my phone and I can put them in noise cancellation mode, dramatically cutting wind and exhaust noise on long trips - like having foam earplugs in. The noise cancellation alone makes them well worth the cost to me. I also use Waze for navigation and the voice prompts are easy for me to understand that way.

By the way, I have profound hearing loss and used to use $4000 OTEHA's (over the ear hearing aids), I now use the AirPods Pro exclusively, as I can upload my audiogram directly to them just like a hearing aid, but have much more control over them. I have two pairs, and since the little cases also charge the AirPods, I never have to worry about running out of battery. Not that it makes a difference, but I don't use a helmet when I ride. My wife uses a full face helmet, and the AirPods work fine for her also (she isn't hard of hearing).

Old 03-07-2023, 08:47 AM
Steelie68
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

I know this might sound crazy but ditched my stock windshield last year on my SG and put a little taller one on from Freedom Shields. I can now hear my stereo 10 times better. The wind noise and buffeting was greatly reduced. Night and day difference for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steelie68:
bigal51 (03-29-2023), Hecklerboy (03-22-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 10:58 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,710 Likes on 4,153 Posts

I am very hard of hearing and struggle with listening to my music when I ride. I wear hearing aids but not when I ride. It makes the wind sound like someone blowing into a microphone. I have tried Harley wireless headphones but can't hear anything through them when I'm riding. Does someone make ear budz that will link to the Harley bikes. Any help or advise? Thanks.
Ray
I don't do wireless stuff.... I haven't bothered to educate myself on such things...

If you would like an old fashion remedy for old fashion ear bids....

I bought a headphone adapter that plugs into my HD connector, converting it to a standard RCA jack (3.5mm). I can then choose from a host of ear buds.... let your budget be your guide on ear bud selection..

With the headphone adapter you loose any microphone capabilities, they are just listen only, but that's all I need...

I believe this is the one I have... at least it looks identical to mine... I've been using it for 3 years now with no issues...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16376540628...RoCVzgQAvD_BwE

Last edited by hattitude; 03-07-2023 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:40 AM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 371 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra103

I use AirPods Pro, they allow me to listen to music, recieve alerts from my phone and I can put them in noise cancellation mode, dramatically cutting wind and exhaust noise on long trips - like having foam earplugs in. The noise cancellation alone makes them well worth the cost to me. I also use Waze for navigation and the voice prompts are easy for me to understand that way.

By the way, I have profound hearing loss and used to use $4000 OTEHA's (over the ear hearing aids), I now use the AirPods Pro exclusively, as I can upload my audiogram directly to them just like a hearing aid, but have much more control over them. I have two pairs, and since the little cases also charge the AirPods, I never have to worry about running out of battery. Not that it makes a difference, but I don't use a helmet when I ride. My wife uses a full face helmet, and the AirPods work fine for her also (she isn't hard of hearing).
Love my Airpod Pro's...when I'm not wearing a helmet. Just too much hassle getting the fit just right and then having to mess with them once the helmet is on. Those PlugUp S Plugs are the bomb. They sound awesome, fit deep in the ear canal with a good seal against external noise, are comfortable for all day rides (which is another issue with AirPod Pro's and a helmet), and plug into the the 3.5mm jack on my HD Sena headset (as well as on the old wired Edset I used to use).

The following users liked this post:
Ultra103 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 12:13 PM
itsmf
Tourer
Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Ray
Put a good set of J&M speakers IN your helmet and connect to your radio. I also wear hearing aids OFF the bike. I have used this system for over 20 years.

Old 03-07-2023, 03:31 PM
Pkman
Supporter
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra103

I'd like to learn more about uploading an audiogram to AirPods. I wonder if that would work with my Bose earbuds? My OTEHA are on their last leg and I need a replacement. Please PM me if you have more info

Old 03-07-2023, 04:09 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 887 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Pkman
I'd like to learn more about uploading an audiogram to AirPods. I wonder if that would work with my Bose earbuds? My OTEHA are on their last leg and I need a replacement. Please PM me if you have more info
PM sent

Old 03-07-2023, 07:09 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

I use safty earplugs with bluetooth. Connect to my phone, and use Pandora, Spotify, XM Sirus or whatever app for your choice of music. I set up Pandor (free), then favorite Motown, Blues, and Classic Country. It has a "shuffle"button, and rotated through the stations after each song.
. they have a NRR of 25db, so most the wind and road noise is blocked out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204159498266

Quick Reply: Hearing my music problem