Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does HD hate the road king?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 04:53 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,879 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by Spider3223
[Q
nothings different if we’re talking road kings. I was talking about the SG and RG how there is no removable cap, just a latch which is a way better design. Not a big deal but a little nicer at the pump don’t have to worry about setting the cap somewhere where it won’t fall etc
I am still confused. Both my fairing bikes have a gas cap under the fuel door, that you could set down and forget. I am not sure how a person could forget a gas cap. It is right in front on you. Maybe you could forget on a bike with a fuel door. But with a FLHR there would be a visible hole.

Did they get rid of gas caps on M8 bikes with fairings?

Old 04-29-2024, 05:00 PM
Spider3223
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
I am still confused. Both my fairing bikes have a gas cap under the fuel door, that you could set down and forget. I am not sure how a person could forget a gas cap. It is right in front on you. Maybe you could forget on a bike with a fuel door. But with a FLHR there would be a visible hole.

Did they get rid of gas caps on M8 bikes with fairings?
The 2024 road glide and street glide as well as the CVOs in those models have a latch design that opens the lid which is attached. You pull the latch open the top flips back and you put the gas in the hole, then you flip the lid back and latch it down. There is no separate gas cap that unscrews.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:13 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

ok, maybe its nice But I have never consider a motorcycle hard to gas up, like the earlier post.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:13 PM
jimglassford
Tourer
Received 195 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
ok, maybe its nice But I have never consider a motorcycle hard to gas up, like the earlier post.
Its not the difficulty level, it is the EPA's ever more stringent requirements. The new designs for filler spouts on all vehicles reduces the time a gas tank will vent to the environment. Many people fueling a vehicle take their time replacing the fuel cap where the self closing flap is instantaneous. That is why the newer fuel nozzles have better seals and some have vapor recovery. That is why we can no longer buy a "gas can" that works. The EPA prefers negative pressure while transferring fuel and ignores the 10% spillage due to poor designs.

Old 04-30-2024, 05:18 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I am not sure if you are whiney or my bikes are to old. My newest is 2015, same as every other bike I have ever rode. So I guess I will have to see a new one.

Funny thing about those gas cans all the vapor comes out when you open them.

Old 04-30-2024, 11:00 PM
Ceej
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a 2019 Police Road King in February and have put around 1500 miles on it so far. I come from a sportbike/sport touring background and am now too old and fat to tolerate the god awful riding position of those bikes. The FLHP is the bike Harley should upgrade the FLHR to. Its got a tach on the tank, separate speedo between the bars that doesnt require more than a quick glance to look at and you can also show gear position on it, 13 inch shocks, thicker sidewall tires and, most importantly, a 114 motor. All of those upgrades and it is typically available for the same or less than a 2022 FLHR standard was offered brand new. All that just to say its the most upgraded Road King Standard you can get from the factory. I love mine so far. I’d bet some Harley bean counter realized that and they decided to ax it for a bit so they can bring it back out with a those changes and a few extra upgrades like LED’s and some kind of digital display and ask 30k for it. Hell, if they put the 117 in it Id probably seriously consider it. Lol.

Last edited by Ceej; 04-30-2024 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:34 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

A tach would be nice on FLHR, but I like the traditional look of the tank and have stayed away from adding to bars. Mine are aftermarket and chrome too. A tach speedo combo would be ok.

I think these comments that speedo is an unsafe spot is just drama. Taking your eyes off the road for 1 second is not going to kill you, and I call BS your eyes are focused ahead of you 100% of the time.

Also interesting how anything less than ______ is to small of engine. I have half joked old harleys were unsafe to pass with., Not saying I would not like the speed, but surely a joke to get rid of one bike for 3 more inches.

103 is the biggest i have rode, and I am happy with that.

The following users liked this post:
BRKLYN1955 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 10:34 AM
Ceej
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think the speedo location is unsafe, its just not in an optimal location. Much better on the police bikes in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:07 PM
don67
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceej
I dont think the speedo location is unsafe, its just not in an optimal location.
Depends how one defines "optimal". Quick access to information vs. having a distraction-free view of the road.

There was no safe location for the speedo on my Africa Twin.

Last edited by don67; 05-01-2024 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:49 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Received 104 Likes on 35 Posts

Germansheperd

I think like you so I made my 2021 FLHR into a “Classic”…

The following 2 users liked this post by HaydenHeywoodHayes:
biglew55 (05-01-2024), BRKLYN1955 (05-03-2024)

Quick Reply: does HD hate the road king?