Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does HD hate the road king?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 05:04 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 759 Likes on 285 Posts

Harley doesn’t hate the Road King………they just hate you

Hate to say it, but those that love the RK and RKS will keep buying them, no matter what. I got tired of the bat wing. I like the shark nose, but it just “ain’t me”. That’s why I bought mine.

When I get tired of this one, though, I’l probably buy a used Twin Cam or Evo……I’m done with new bikes that use the consumers as “test beds”.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:58 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 428 Likes on 286 Posts

They don’t hate it they are maximizing the profit margin on the RKS by streamlining models , like dropping the SGS also

Old 01-26-2024, 08:13 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,977 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Here is the thing no one buys it. That's the sad truth

I put my 2015 Road King on Consignment on Oct. It has 63k miles and listed it orginally for 11k. Now I recently put the price down to 8500. Still no takers after 2 weeks. Yes it is winter time, but I live in the Greater Sacramento area so when it's not raining people are riding. I priced it accordingly and no one wants a high mileage bike for 8K I plan on taking it out of consignment and selling it myself but Im not holding my breath since I already tried to sell it multiple times. Actually I try to sell it every year.

I believe that no one buys the Road King and giving the black treatment is what is keeping it still alive. I wouldnt be surprised if the production on them are really low. No one buys them.
I don't know prices out there. But people there are so many low priced bikes out there. If it was here would be way over priced.

You see it in classified here all the time,

People get emotional and defensive, they love their bikes. Not enough to keep them though. You want lower miles yourself

I got a bike with 70 and 90 so people spare the stories.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:16 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,977 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
"used to be trade it in every year or two to keep you OUT of the poor house. You could ride for a year or two and almost get exactly what you paid for it on trade and then factor the tax savings. Not so much today."

That explains why the Harley Corporation business statements show a steady decline in revenue.
No correlation. It has been over 20 years since people could do this.

You can walk in and buy what you want now . Plus now Harley improved and changes things. It's not the same bike for 10 years. People want big. 96" is to small for them

Old 01-26-2024, 09:42 PM
justine120
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was planning to get a 2024 road king in the spring. but it's about as much as the updated road glide. feels like i'd be getting ripped off. may just sit this year out on principle

Old 01-26-2024, 10:42 PM
lee4
Cruiser
Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by justine120
just saw the 2024's. road glide and street glide look like they got totally revamped. road king special is same old same old. why didn't the road king get the same amount of love? i mean take the fairing off the road glide and it's a road king so it shouldn't have been too hard...

thoughts?
Uhm, because the Road King is perfect?

The following users liked this post:
don67 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 02:00 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 382 Posts

If they made 1000 RK anniversaries last year, they would have sold out. If they had the ***** to build An ST model, it would sell out. I can’t ride a fixed fairing bike and I don’t want all the electronics. There are folks who are minimalists and like abasicc touring bike; and it ain’t a RKS.

The following 2 users liked this post by bklynbob:
bpav16 (06-01-2024), lee4 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 06:38 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 521 Likes on 257 Posts

Thank you HD for not screwing up the Road King. I've owned 52 Harleys yea really. The Road King will always be my favorite. It''s what Harley was all about. Not electronic gadgets and rolling boom boxes etc etc. Heck I've even traded a 2018 CVO Ultra on a Road King Special. Long live the Road King....

The following 4 users liked this post by Gunnysgt:
don67 (01-29-2024), Miss Charlie (05-26-2024), Paintslinger16 (01-28-2024), TedMan (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 08:59 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,317 Posts

In a land with gravel and bugs, I want a windscreen on a touring bike. Without a screen, it’s a cruiser with bags.

In a land with gravel and bugs and thundershowers, chrome remains easy to clean and tough to chip.

For me and me alone, the special is not a road king. It’s a nice motorcycle, a fabulous cruiser, an always ready bat hopper, and capable of making a run to Sturgis, but it is not a road king. The ElectraGlide Highway king special icon revival or whatever they named it is not a road king. It’s a nice motorcycle and if you own one, you’re way more cool than I’ll ever be. But it is not a road king.

The king is more than a stripped down ElectraGlide. The king belonged to Harley’s history. It was the thread that tied Harley’s history together. It was a solid line from flatheads, knuckles, pans, EVOs, TCs, and M8’s that stretched longer than the glorious history of the sportster.

I do not consider the S a sportster and I do not consider the special a Road King. Nor the police version. Sure, one can cobble together a functioning look alike, but it shows a disregard for Harley’s own history. No, not a disregard, they just are so new, so removed, they don’t know or care about history or for that matter, how riders use their motorcycles. It’s an arrogance I’ve yet to master.

I don’t like where they are going. I know I don’t matter. He was hired by a board to meet the Wall Street paradigm where history has no place or importance only doing more with less is critical to maximizing profit. This blindness on their part is opening doors for other manufacturers. It isn’t obvious yet, but it will be. (And I’m not talking about Polaris)

On, I think the Road King Std was the focal point that drove the ElectraGlide, Street and road glides. Those riders were riding modifications of the king, not the other way around. The heart, the core is the king. The batwing, the shark nose were the factory mods. Should they be loved, yes. The king was not a stripped down ElectraGlide, it was the heart of a great motorcycle design.

So to answer the OPs question, I don’t think they hate the Road King, I think they are just too stupid to know about what the King offered Harley as a business because history, core reasons for why the king was popular was lost to make more profit/margin per bike. They simply lack the ability. It’s a common problem and the ruin of many fine manufacturers.

The following 7 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
bklynbob (01-27-2024), downzero (01-27-2024), From_Behind (01-28-2024), pwp (05-14-2024), rauchman (01-28-2024), Ron750 (01-29-2024), tngarren (01-27-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-27-2024, 09:13 AM
Randol
Tourer
Received 128 Likes on 76 Posts

I have not warmed up to the new RG fairing. SG not so bad. I'm not sure I'd want them messing with the RK right now, although the new engine would have been nice but $$

Quick Reply: does HD hate the road king?