Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Road King Classic Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 06:58 PM
@1505Moto
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Road King Classic Starting Problems

Hey everyone! New to the forum. I'm working with on an issue with a 'new to me' '06 Road King Classic. Last Monday I rode the bike to church and then back home. The very next day, I went to start the bike, and nothing. It powers up but it won't start. The security system flashes through the turn signals but that's about all it does. I've switched the battery twice just in the fob to make sure that it wasn't a bad battery, and nothing. I've tried to pull codes but nothing much displayed. I saw a U1064 and a pn 67033-04A. I haven't been able to find what those stand for. I've seen something about a fob module under the seat that could have gone bad (but suddenly like that?) but my experience with these things is limited. I'd rather not have to take it down to the dealer because it seems like it should be something simple. When I purchased the bike, the then owner had no manual for it and only one key fob. Any hints or clues as to a direction with this would be most helpful. Have a great night everyone!

Old 04-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,565 Likes on 3,812 Posts

Welcome Jim.

I hope you continue to enjoy your ride here with us on the HDFORUM.

Only as a suggestion, by me as a USER, create a signature line similar to my one line on my bike information.

The year, model, and all the letters Harley assigned to the bike. It will appear at the bottom of your post.

Doing this will be helpful if you ask a question, or to someone asking a question. All Harleys aren't the same with many changes and variations over the year.

Of course, you can always be sure to add it to any post with a question.

You can also add any other details you choose and a favorite picture to the signature line.

If you like, you can also add a favorite picture for an Avatar you see at the top left of all your post as a postal stamp.

The @ IMOO6170 below is flaging (poking) a Community Team Member here to this thread.

@imoo6170

Questing in the Welcome Area is not the best area for visibility

​​
Probably this area would be better here or he may have a better idea.

☆Here…………betterlet you using drop down or Community team decide)

If you ask the Community team imoo6170 to moves this thread, make another new post here in the Welcome Area to say hello. However, you need to tell him to move it.

Or you can just copy and paste another new post yourself. Title it slightly different to avoid confusion and enjoy the mostly welcomes here in this thread.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:58 AM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,389 Likes on 2,654 Posts

Welcome to the forums from Virginia..................

Old 04-22-2024, 06:44 AM
imoo6170
HDF Community Team
Received 815 Likes on 793 Posts

Moved to the Touring Models section from the Welcome section

​​​​@@1505Moto

Old 04-22-2024, 08:20 AM
ewhitefo
Advanced
Received 51 Likes on 19 Posts

Just a silly question but is that the push button fob? As in the soft rubber center is actually a button, or is that the proximity type? Unsure but if its the push botton you Push once to activate security, and push twice to deactivate security. And as long as your doing that figure out your security code that previous owner set so you can start bike without fob if you have security on and lose fob or its dead in the middle of nowhere and you can't replace battery. Also be sure you put battery in fob correctly, if I recall the shiny part with words and battery type faces down when changing and the back of battery faces you. thats when its laying on your table and your changing it.

Last edited by ewhitefo; 04-22-2024 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:31 AM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 442 Posts

Seems obvious, but make sure your red kill switch is on. Next, check battery cables and get a voltage reading.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:07 PM
mike131
Road Warrior
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

the pn 67033-04A is the part number for the module, U1064 indicates a loss of TSSM serial data, which is likely interrupted or compromised wiring/connections or a possible faulty TSSM, quick question, is the bike in neutral when your trying to start it and not in gear with the clutch pulled in? I've seen were the clutch switch will go bad and the bike will not crank unless its in neutral

Old 04-22-2024, 07:32 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 634 Likes on 458 Posts

I assume perhaps in error) that an 06 is fuel injected. If it is, does the fuel pump do the prime cycle? I know very little about Harley security systems, especially back that far. Perhaps the fob is preventing the fuel pump prime, but maybe not. Perhaps another in here will know.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:57 PM
07UltraGuy
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,295 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by mike131
the pn 67033-04A is the part number for the module, U1064 indicates a loss of TSSM serial data, which is likely interrupted or compromised wiring/connections or a possible faulty TSSM, quick question, is the bike in neutral when your trying to start it and not in gear with the clutch pulled in? I've seen were the clutch switch will go bad and the bike will not crank unless its in neutral
There is no clutch switch on a 2006 Touring bike, perhaps on a Dyna and/or CVO, but not on a standard 06 Touring bike. The clutch switch didn't come out on Touring models until 07.

Originally Posted by ewhitefo
Just a silly question but is that the push button fob? As in the soft rubber center is actually a button, or is that the proximity type? Unsure but if its the push botton you Push once to activate security, and push twice to deactivate security. And as long as your doing that figure out your security code that previous owner set so you can start bike without fob if you have security on and lose fob or its dead in the middle of nowhere and you can't replace battery. Also be sure you put battery in fob correctly, if I recall the shiny part with words and battery type faces down when changing and the back of battery faces you. thats when its laying on your table and your changing it.
Yes, push-button (passive) alarm in 2006.

My 06 Ultra had an issue where the wires were coming loose on the IGN switch and the symptom was intermittent starting.
My radio and gauges would illuminate normally, but there was no power getting to the start button.
I realize the IGN switches between the batwing and RK bikes is different, but this sure sounds like the same symptoms.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:21 AM
Highway Handler
HDF Community Team
Received 655 Likes on 339 Posts

Sounds like that bike did not want to go to church again.

The following users liked this post:
07UltraGuy (04-23-2024)