Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody raise a stock seat’s ride height by an inch or so, on a late model Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 09:19 AM
mynewhd
Cruiser
Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mynewhd
I have the same question. My H-D Hammock seat is giving me hip pain. Distance to the handlebars is fine. It's the seat height that is bothering me. I already lowered the footboards (thanks Gonemad!), but I'm not a fan of constantly scraping them in corners. I'm 6'2" with long legs.
To quote my own quote:

Well, wife and I took an inaugural ride on Saturday. Two up with the new Legend Revo-A shocks not even dialed in yet, I experienced no floorboard dragging. We took some twisty roads too and even did a slow speed u-turn. Now I can't speak for cornering with speeds increased, but so far so good.

Back to seats - I'll have to experiment with a seat cushion to test before plunging into buying a custom solution. I also don't want to induce turbulance around my head if I sit taller on the bike.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:26 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,800 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I stopped in at Mean City Cycles today.

I am on their calendar to rebuild a Road Glide seat I have to run on a Road King. They said they can raise the ride height about an inch.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:06 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 623 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
funny thing is i just had spine surgury and the hammock for me is the best money spent.
Agreed. After going through 3 different seats and a Mean City rework, I finally settled on a Hammock. It's the older rider/passenger one (52000003A) that HD says is for 2009-2013.
I had it on my 2012 UC and kept it. Fits just fine and works great on my 2020 RGL.

Originally Posted by gonemad
I think it would be a great seat, but for tall riders it does not seem optimal in the hip to knee ratio.
I'm 6'3" with 35" inseam. This particular seat (52000003A) moves me back about 3/4" and raises me almost an inch over stock. Unfortunately it's not available from HD anymore...I found mine used.
In fact, traded my Mustang Super Touring for it.

With my history of back issues and hip pain, I needed to get my hips & knees in a more level position. Hips & a$$ sitting low in the bike does not work for me. The HD Hammock & Tall Boys brackets have achieved this and we've toured thousands of miles on this seat in comfort. Yes, I say "we" as my wife rides with me a lot (probably 80% of the time) and she finds it comfy as well. Only draw back if you're riding solo with no TP...it's not pretty.

The following users liked this post:
gonemad (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:13 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,800 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I took the cover off the Police seat today and did a little foam rework to see if I could relieve a pressure point behind my nads. The job went fairly smoothly, then buttoned it up, took it for a ride. I think this seat just is what it is, and it explains why MCC declined to do any work on it. They said they just had not had success reworking tractor style seats and they always came back for rework.

They’ve got my Glide seat to rework to add about an inch to the ride height, and then I’ll be done.

Today's unsuccessful experiment.

The following users liked this post:
joenc (05-02-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:29 PM
don67
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

I boosted my stature forward & up by an inch or so, by switching to a thick Mustang seat on my '23 Road King Special. Feels more like a police bike now.

Pro: Better low-speed control, better upright ergonomics, less tailbone pressure.
Con: Puts my forehead into the turbulence zone, even with deflector mounted on top of a 16" Windsplitter shield.

Edit: I'm 5'10" with short torso.

Last edited by don67; 05-01-2024 at 12:30 PM.