Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody raise a stock seat’s ride height by an inch or so, on a late model Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 06:47 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,766 Likes on 2,708 Posts
Default Anybody raise a stock seat’s ride height by an inch or so, on a late model Glide?

Bike: 2024 Road King Police
Seat: 2022 Road Glide Special seat (pretty much same as pre-‘24 Street Glide, or ’24 Road King Special)

Took the police seat off because I found I like riding in the bike rather than on it. I’m 6’3” so the height itself wasnt a problem.

Police seat is higher than I want, and the Glide seat is lower than I want.

I’m calling Mean City Cycles to see what they say. I had them rework a Mustang Super Tour seat to my satisfaction a year ago for a bike I have since sold.
They are only three hours away. I wonder if they do same day ride-in/ride-out service, if it’s scheduled?

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 10:51 AM
mynewhd
Cruiser
Received 95 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the same question. My H-D Hammock seat is giving me hip pain. Distance to the handlebars is fine. It's the seat height that is bothering me. I already lowered the footboards (thanks Gonemad!), but I'm not a fan of constantly scraping them in corners. I'm 6'2" with long legs.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:51 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mynewhd
I have the same question. My H-D Hammock seat is giving me hip pain. Distance to the handlebars is fine. It's the seat height that is bothering me. I already lowered the footboards (thanks Gonemad!), but I'm not a fan of constantly scraping them in corners. I'm 6'2" with long legs.
I was about to try a second set of those lowering brackets since I’m no longer running those big Thrashin floor boards on this new bike, but I talked myself out of it.

The way that hammock seat is built I don’t know if Mean City Cycles could rebuild that or not, but they can sure tell you.

Edit to add: Every seat I’ve looked at by all the usual suspects, either lowers the rider, moves the rider back, or moves the rider forward, but I couldn’t find one seat that just raises the ride height (without moving forward or back). ((At least based on manufacturer comments and reviews))

I checked all HD seats, Mustang, Lapera, Saddelman, C&C, Ultimate, Danny Gray. Russell Day Long could probably do it, but I don’t keep a bike long enough to justify the price and the wait, plus having to send my seat in to do it as riding season is upon us in NC. I did not consider Drag Specialties seats.

Last edited by gonemad; 04-26-2024 at 12:08 PM.
Goose_NC (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 01:27 PM
RoadGlide20
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My temporary solution was to take my spare foam hot seat, cut and shape to fit my Mustang seat and I sit on that. Raised me up a good inch. 6'3" long legs so I needed something to help my hip pain. I rode all last year with it, this year I thought about having the seat reworked.

The following 2 users liked this post by RoadGlide20:
gonemad (04-26-2024), Goose_NC (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 02:06 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Called Mean City Cycles about seat rework and left a message at 9:20 AM. They close at 2:30 on Fridays. No call back.

Got bored and put the police seat back on. I’ve got the bars adjusted differently than when I took that seat off so I’ll give it a whirl this weekend.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:32 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,335 Likes on 2,169 Posts

I had a local upholstery guy raise one for me......About an inch.....Cost about 40 bucks......He took the seat cover off, packed in some foam, and re-stapled the cover.....Just gotta be sure there is enough extra material to do this.....Mine had about 3/4 - 1 inch of extra material beyond the staples before we started.....

08xl1200r (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 06:36 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bentryder
I had a local upholstery guy raise one for me......About an inch.....Cost about 40 bucks......He took the seat cover off, packed in some foam, and re-stapled the cover.....Just gotta be sure there is enough extra material to do this.....Mine had about 3/4 - 1 inch of extra material beyond the staples before we started.....
Yes, I’m looking at mine and thinking that cover will only stretch so far.

bentryder (04-26-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 03:03 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 528 Posts

BACK in 2010ish, the MoCo made these black plastic spacers (1'x 5"x1/2") that would lift the stock seat up about 1/2 inch.

IF you could find, this would be a cheaper way to raise saddle instead of shipping to MCC or whoever.

YB

gonemad (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 06:30 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,420 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Originally Posted by mynewhd
funny thing is i just had spine surgury and the hammock for me is the best money spent.

Old 04-27-2024, 06:33 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
funny thing is i just had spine surgury and the hammock for me is the best money spent.
I think it would be a great seat, but for tall riders it does not seem optimal in the hip to knee ratio.

joenc (04-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Anybody raise a stock seat’s ride height by an inch or so, on a late model Glide?