Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS, Should it be on MOCO's Cuff.. and...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:02 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IDS, Should it be on MOCO's Cuff.. and...

Ok folks, I am new to poll's so bear with me...

IDS, the new better mouse trap for the 08 HD fleet.. And do you think it's a "fix" for the 07's

Also, If you have had IDS installed, has it worked? Do you feel a % of your expense should be covered by MOCO.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:30 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: IDS, Should it be on MOCO's Cuff.. and...

I don't know why my 07 needs it, it rides fine and has no weird noises. It is just as loud as my 95 FXD, with more power.... I'm not sure how I would benefit from it?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:42 PM
monkish
Road Master

ORIGINAL: casique

I don't know why my 07 needs it, it rides fine and has no weird noises. It is just as loud as my 95 FXD, with more power.... I'm not sure how I would benefit from it?
Yours might not. My 07 SG is fine. My wifes' 07 RKC is noisy as crap.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

It ran good with out IDS, From rideing other bikes and this board I started to understand some of the issues. Some other bikes from resent and past had some of the issues but delt with them or just lived with it. Its amazing how some riders are oblivious to any of this[sm=hiya.gif]some people ive met say O ha well I think the shop put some different trans oil in it and fixed that? or have no idea. spoke to a friend that went to a ralley this weekend and several people with 07's had no idea of anything about there 07's and never heard of an IDS.
This poll confused me with selections writen as questions? so to clarify my answer .
What ever it did I likie alot. amazing it now runs with less obnoxiousvibes or sounds then any bike ive ever riden(still has the good ones)
should they pay? hhum dont know dont really cross my mind.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:08 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll pay the $200 and get it from one of the internet sites. I'll do the install myself and feel good about it afterwards.

I'd feel better if the moco would come up with an "offer" of some type, but I doubt that's going to happen. At the end of the day, they are a profit driven company in a good position to do nothing. For everyone of us out here that are aware and discussing the issue, there are probably 25 that are just totally believeing anything the local dealer says.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:00 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed the IDS at the 1000 mile service. I wasn't unhappy with the bike the way it came, although there was a bit more vibration in the floorboards under load than my 02. The noise issue with the tranny isn't present on my bike. I have the "clatter" that sounds to me like a loose chain somwhere after IDS, as before it. I wouldn't mind that issue being taken care of but it isn't a huge thing with me.

The IDS did enhance the driveability a bunch. Virtually no vibration once off idle, transmissions shifts like butter, very little driveline lash, and low loaded rpm in third through sixth gear is smooth and no apparent lugging.

I don't see the IDS as solution to a problem. The stock 07 I bought was a definite improvement over the 02 Ultra I traded in. Many of the issues the 02 had are gone. The 07 is yet another advancement in design. True, the 08 with the IDS is further improved over the 07 models and fortunately the IDS is retrofilt to the 07 as well. I be a happy rider with the IDS installed. I did get a fantastic deal on it too.

I am old enough to see the product improvements made over the past 50 years. You younger guys won't believe the issues we had with kick start, manual advance, rigid frame bikes we had in 1956. You had to park them over an oil drip pan, and gunk them down every Saturday. Chains had to be adjusted at least every 1000 miles, primary and rear chains. Vibrations so bad that anything over 60 mph made the grips feel like coke bottles. If you got past the vibrations, you might get the bike up to 75 mph max. Figure on doing the rings and valves every 24000 miles or so, and a new rear chain every 8-10000 miles. Radios? Hardly. Cruise Control? Hadn't been invented yet. So, pardon me if I appreciate the technologyand progress made in the years past. Research and development comes at a cost, right out of the profit of the company, to makea product better every model year.[8D]

Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 AM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a great "enhancement" but not really a fix. The only thing that will fix this is what the Baker F6F does. But that is not an option for most right now. HD should have done it themselvers. Why they didn't is anyones guess.

I installed it. I was happy with the bike before but now I'm really happy!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:47 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master

I love the way my bike rides after the install of the IDS. It's like a different bike.

I think the MOCO should do something for the 07 riders even if it's only a partial reimbursment. Some dealers are offering deals. Orlando Harley Davidson will install it for $329.00

Old 09-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Roofuss96
Road Captain

My bike presently does not seem to have the problem, so I will take a wait & see approach . I do however think if the problems are that wide spread, it should be a recall / fix at HD's expense not the owners ! They call it good customer relations , but most of usknow how themoco deals with that issue , LOL !

Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 AM
THABULL
Road Master

NEWS FLASH!!! Only if this product enhancement is deamed necessary for safety related issues there will be no recall or reimbursment. Sorry guys either suck it up or sell'em!!

Quick Reply: IDS, Should it be on MOCO's Cuff.. and...