Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

105th Anniversary Bikes...Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:08 AM
Andre5140
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 105th Anniversary Bikes...Worth It?

Hi all!

I am new to the forum and think you guys (and gals) have a great place here to post info on Harley's.

I was at a dealer today looking for a new bike. I am sold on a Road Glide and my dream was to find a 105th Anniversary Edition. I know that cosmetic parts can take a while ot get and everything has a price premium on it, but I want to know if it is worth it. I think the bike is about the most beautiful thing out there and the idea of it being a 105th is even better.

I found one and here is the cost breakdown:

Sticker: $21,800
Grand Total with Dealer Prep, Security System and Tax: $25,000

I told the salesman I was "just looking" and couldn't commit today. The sales manager then asked me, "If I took another grand or $1500 off would that expidite your decision?"

My questions are: Why are they willing to take money off on a 105th, especially the rare Road Glide? Would it be a wise purchase (plan on it being my last bike and hold onto it a while)? Are the 105ths overrated and I'm making too much out of it all because of an emblem, serial #, and pretty paint?

I was thinking of going back and saying that if he took off $1500 and threw in an extended warranty, he has a deal. The bike is only lacking ABS brakes. Am I wasting my time? SHould I forget the 105th Edition?

ANY advice would be appreciated! Thanks much.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:10 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 105th Anniversary Bikes...Worth It?

If you like the bike do it....but it doesn't seem that the anniversary editions illicit much of a premium, even the 100th anniversary. But if it is the model you like, then it will always be worth it to you. But I wouldn't pay a premium for an anniversay year either.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:07 AM
sanaga
Road Captain

no anniversary for me...its the same bike, and i wont pay thousandmore $$ for a badge and different colour....
if u buy it, in the next 5 years, there will be 110th anniversary edition again......
but if u like, go for it......

Old 10-14-2007, 02:23 AM
Andre5140
6th Gear

Thanks for the honest feedback. Keep it coming!

Being new to Harley, I didn't know if a bike that was an "Anniversary Edition" meant a whole lot to Harley faithful. I don't know...to me, it just seems more exclusive but I see your points.

Anyone have any thoughts on the pricing I laid out up above??

Old 10-14-2007, 03:33 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

While I can understand your thinking, I think it is a bit off. The anniversary models are fine, but having a limited edition bike doesn't really hold the resale value any more than any other (at least not in the past). Besides, for me, the only reason I would even consider getting a '08 is for the ABS, and that bike does not even have that. Anyone can buy the badging that is on that bike. So that doesn't mean a lot to me, either. However, if you just love the color, then I can see why you would buy it. I really like the 100th color. IMO, by far the best color combo HD has. But, a lot of people get to a point where they get tired of the stock color, and either paint their bike, or buy another set of tins. If you paint your bike, it is still an anniversary model, but it has lost the onespecial thing that made it... unique. BTW, regardless of the bike, in today's market, there is absolutely no reason to buy a HD at more than MSRP. The market is flooded with used bikes, and the once great resale value that HD had, is gone. $19,325 is the base price for a FLTR anniversary bike. Wheel option is $450. Security system is $345.Freight is $345. Cruise controlis $795. And if you live in California, you have another $200 for emissions. For a total of $21460. That is the max you should pay, adding tax and their BS set up charges. And that is only if you have all of those features. If you still think you are getting a good deal, and you love the bike, buy it. Just be sure you pay what you want, or should want. IMO.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:17 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Andre5140

Being new to Harley, I didn't know if a bike that was an "Anniversary Edition" meant [anything].
I'm pretty new myself. Just this year. I think they have anniversary models every year.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:41 AM
DRCLB
Advanced

Plus, it dates the bike. In several years from now someone will walk by and so "oh, it's a 2008". Could be good or bad, depending how you think about it.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:06 AM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For just a bunch of badgey, gadgety stuff, I don't see the value. For the price of the RG you listed above, you could get the Ultra with ABS brakes. I must say the Road Glide is my next favorite ride.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:02 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if this bike makes your blood boil,,, DO it!
if you can $wing it..... DO it...
dont listen to these putzs

Old 10-14-2007, 07:11 AM
DanB
Tourer

I remember when the black and silver 100th anniversary bike came out. Next thing you knew..."everyone" had one. That was all you saw on the road...black and silver. So much for limited additions....

Buy the bike becuase you like it and it fits "you". And then "ride it like you stole it."

DanB

Quick Reply: 105th Anniversary Bikes...Worth It?