Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Commanders: Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Billiam92407
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Michelin Commanders: Initial Impressions

I can't believe all the cool crap I learn here.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, WVRDKING, I'm running out of time (tire) here. How many thousands of miles did you put on your bike this weekend? Have you had the wife get the garden hose and wet down the driveway for you to test them on wet pavement? Dang, I really need some new tires.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:48 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

Thanks for the initial report. Do us all a favor and ride like hell for the next couple of weeks and see if the rear lasts longer than 10,000 miles and report back....

I'm due for tires and am going to try the Michelins. I had Elite III's on my Venture Royale and never got less than 16,000 on the rear. 10K stinks on these stock Harley Dunlops.
Amen, which is why I'm moving to the E3, and just ordered a rear yesterday.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:49 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Beads arrived yesterday

Waiting to replace read with Commanders before using beads.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: iclick

Amen, which is why I'm moving to the E3, and just ordered a rear yesterday.
Iclick, where did you order from, AMT? Can I run a Dunlop 402 on frontand an E3 on the rear? Figured you'd know.

Jim

Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

WVRDKING, I was going to check on Dunlop E3's, but after reading about your bad experience when you called Dunlop, figure there's no reason to give them more business. So, now leaning toward the Michelin's. Need to know what sizes you're running front and rear. Do you know if the 140/90-16 can be used on the rear? Metzler stage 1 upgrade indicates it can without any changes. What do you think?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:57 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

WVRDKING, I was going to check on Dunlop E3's, but after reading about your bad experience when you called Dunlop, figure there's no reason to give them more business. So, now leaning toward the Michelin's. Need to know what sizes you're running front and rear. Do you know if the 140/90-16 can be used on the rear? Metzler stage 1 upgrade indicates it can without any changes. What do you think?
Tater:

I'm using the MT90B16 on the front and the MU85B16 on the rear which is applicable for my '07 Ultra. Don't know if the 140/90 can be used on your '00 Classic. Might need to check with Michelin Customer Service. The H-D P&A Catalog lists the MT90B16 for the front ('81-'08 Touring) and the MT90B16 for the rear on all '81-'03 Touring bikes. H-D switched to the MU85 in 2004 and I'm not sure what changes were made to the rear running gear to allow the change.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-28-2007, 04:21 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

Okay, WVRDKING, I'm running out of time (tire) here. How many thousands of miles did you put on your bike this weekend? Have you had the wife get the garden hose and wet down the driveway for you to test them on wet pavement? Dang, I really need some new tires.
Tater:

LOL! Rode 630 miles round trip this weekend, and never did experience any wet weather! And I was actually hoping to ride in the rain........at least to allow some feedback on wet weather handling!

Anyway, I did get some serious high speed time on I-40/I-81, a couple hundred miles through the Smoky Mountains, and an aggressive ride across the Dragon's Tail; and these Commanders exceeded all my expectations! Don't know if it's the tires, dyna beads, or more realistically a combination of both; but this was the smoothest ride I've ever experienced on a Touring bike!Was running 80+ on the Interstate, two-up with bags and tour pak loaded, and I kept thinking: man, this thing is smooth!

The real kicker for me was that trip across the Dragon! Was pushing the Ultra as hard as traffic and conditions would allow, and as I've said before it was like riding on a rail. IMO, these Commanders can easily exceed the capabilities of an Ultra.

Since I've never ran a set of Metzlers, Avons, Continentals, or any other popular brands my feedback may not be completely unbiased. And I still don't know how the Commanders will do with regards to wet weather handling and treadlife. But my gut feeling is I'll be totally satisfied once they've run their lifespan.

Now, go order those tires your needing!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, WVRD, I suspect your right. I've sent a note to AMT and Michelin to verify before ordering.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

For those interested, here's the reply I got from AMT about running a Michelin Commander 140/90-16 on the rear, similar to the Metzeler stage 1 upgrade.

The 140/90HB-16 will fit – no issues. It is the same size as Metzeler’s tire and would be a great upgrade.

So, think I'll order the Michelin Commander MT90B16 for the front, and 140/90HB-16 for the rear.

Quick Reply: Michelin Commanders: Initial Impressions