Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Helmetless Cell Phone Headset For Noise Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:57 AM
TheTechChik
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Helmetless Cell Phone Headset For Noise Reduction

I searched the forum and there has been much discussion on headsets but mostly with a focus on how well they perform as an intercom and/or wireless. They are also mostly based on a helmet installation.

Any thoughts on the best cell phone headset that can be used without a helmet (here in the Florida Keys). I am mostly concerned with noise reduction. I tried the little earbud that came with my Treo 650 and my callers couldn't hear me if I was traveling over a few miles per hour due to the noise. I don't really care whether it's wireless or wired though the Treo 650 is notorious for having poor bluetooth performance so I should probably focus on wired. I don't really care about intercom capabilities since I ride solo most of the time. I just want to be able to answer the phone or continue a conversation while riding.

Amanda

Old 11-14-2007, 08:07 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Best Helmetless Cell Phone Headset For Noise Reduction

I know you wont want to hear this but...... If you need to make a call please stop that bike off to the side and do your call. We have enough problems with people in cages on their friggin cell phones. We dont need bikers doing the same thing. You have way to many things to think about while riding to be talking on the phone......PERIOD!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DITTO!!!!!! What FLHT said.[:@]

Old 11-14-2007, 08:30 AM
RoadKing52
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found a great set at this web site http://www.sierra-mc.com/click on on the IMC link they have a great set. Good Luck

Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 AM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride my bike to get away from that kind of crap. The best headset is not having one!!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 AM
TheTechChik
Novice

Simply having a conversation, whether or not the other party is sitting next to you or behind you or on a headset is not a danger unless the driver is already an inattentive driver to begin with. People have been carrying on conversations with each other in automobiles since they were invented. Should we ban any and all conversations including amongst each other in vehicles as well?

On the other hand, looking away from the road to dial or text message gets people in trouble. Holding a handset up to your head is also very dangerous since you now only have one hand available to control the car as well as an obstruction of vision on that side of your head. I know first hand since an old man in a theater parking lot pulled right out in front of me while holding a phone on that side of his head. The law makers even understand this since they are trying to outlaw telephone calls on handsets and not headsets.

Now, let's please not turn this into a flaming debate. If you don't have a helpful answer to my question, you can always start a more appropriate thread to vent your frustrations elsewhere.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 AM
TheTechChik
Novice

I checked it out but it seems to require a helmet installation. Did I click the wrong link?

ORIGINAL: RoadKing52

I found a great set at this web site http://www.sierra-mc.com/click on on the IMC link they have a great set. Good Luck

Old 11-14-2007, 08:47 AM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member

This is the best out there. Complete noise cancellation. http://www.jawbone.com/?gclid=CPbH3e...FR-YWAod7VN77g

Now that I have given the information, I too agree that we as riders should not be involved in phone calls while riding. If you have the need to converse please pull over to do that. Just my .02 !!!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Asmodeus
Tourer

I have the jawbone and it's great for everyday use, but in the wind no one can hear you. The rushing air is on the microphone, not 'background' noise. I wanted to test it out on the road so I did at various speeds and it was useless. I also advocate pulling over to make or receive calls.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Bottom line - there's really no workable solution for several reasons. A mike will pick up the "noise" of your voice. Now, there's going to be other noise, most notably wind. An efficient wind sock can almost eliminate it (ask any TV/Radio sound man) - but it will also result in requiring a higher speaking volume. Once you break past the wind sock muffling abilities, your voice will have audio "carry-over" from the wind and other noises. It's like trying to carry on a quiet conversation in a carnival midway.

Hopefully, that's addressed the core of your question - so now I'll offer my unsolicitted opinion(s).

1. You're already in high danger - lots of older drivers in Florida, lots of visual distractions from signage/weaving bluehairs, etc......and you wanna add the distraction of a phone to the mix?!??

2. In addition, you're going to risk your head riding around yapping on a phone with no helmet.....

I'm freakin' speechless.

Quick Reply: Best Helmetless Cell Phone Headset For Noise Reduction