Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dabeam
I have a DIY question that I know someone in this group can answer. I added two Saddlemen Saddlebag Lid Organizers. I really like them, but when it gets hot out the sticky velcro tends to let go an the ends of the organizer drop until I press them back on and wait to do it again.

Thoughts for a cure?

Regards,
Doug
Screw them on where the cloth attaches the lid to the bag. Just punch a hole in the organizer and use washers. Or use industrial velcro.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Bugsy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Screw them on where the cloth attaches the lid to the bag. Just punch a hole in the organizer and use washers. Or use industrial velcro.
Use good quality industrial velcro. It's not cheap, but well worth it. You can also try putting some contact cement on the lid for the velcro to stick to. Let it dry completely before sticking the velcro to it.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:10 PM
PRNSTR021
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bglider
Has anybody figured out a way to change all the guage lights out to a different color?
Auto Meter has some colored bulbs, also check out the led sites on the internet.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 AM
dabeam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bugsy
Use good quality industrial velcro. It's not cheap, but well worth it. You can also try putting some contact cement on the lid for the velcro to stick to. Let it dry completely before sticking the velcro to it.
Where does one find "industrial velcro and will any contact cement work?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM
bburn
Advanced

I just finished getting rid of all the velcro on my lid organizers. They didn't stick through one trip to Sturgis. The Velcro stickyback peels off cleanly and much easier than I thought it would. I replaced it all with the heavy duty 3M double sided tape that is made to hold automotive emblems on the side of a car. I used an entire 15 foot roll of 7/8" wide tape I got from Autozone for around $13. One thing I really like about it is that it is much thinner overall and therefore clings tighter to the saddlebag lids. Hopefully that is the last time I will have to mess with them. So far, they seem rock solid.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Bens05FLHPI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bburn
I just finished getting rid of all the velcro on my lid organizers. They didn't stick through one trip to Sturgis. The Velcro stickyback peels off cleanly and much easier than I thought it would. I replaced it all with the heavy duty 3M double sided tape that is made to hold automotive emblems on the side of a car. I used an entire 15 foot roll of 7/8" wide tape I got from Autozone for around $13. One thing I really like about it is that it is much thinner overall and therefore clings tighter to the saddlebag lids. Hopefully that is the last time I will have to mess with them. So far, they seem rock solid.
Are you guys talking about the trays that ride on the top of the bag just under the lid? if so the 3m tap will work great...... Until you have something big that you'll need the hole bag for.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:58 PM
bburn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bens05FLHPI
Are you guys talking about the trays that ride on the top of the bag just under the lid? if so the 3m tap will work great...... Until you have something big that you'll need the hole bag for.

No, these are thin organizer pouches that stick to the inside of the saddlebag lids. When the saddlebag lids are flipped open, you have access to several various sized storage pouches. I've used mine to hold tools, spare fuses, goggles, sunscreen, and all kinds of other handy items. They also make a matching organizer that sticks to the inside of the tour pak lid. Unfortunately, the velcro just doesn't work. I like the organizers so well that I will consider permanantly epoxying them to the lids if my attempt with the 3m double sided moulding tape doesn't hold.

Here is the link where I purchased my organizers:

https://www.denniskirk.com/flh-saddl...et.p508724.prd

Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM
AbnMP13
Tourer

No, these are thin organizer pouches that stick to the inside of the saddlebag lids. When the saddlebag lids are flipped open, you have access to several various sized storage pouches. Unfortunately, the velcro just doesn't work. I like the organizers so well that I will consider permanantly epoxying them to the lids if my attempt with the 3m double sided moulding tape doesn't hold.
Let me know how it works Bburn, I'd like to get a set of those organizers.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Bugsy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Home Depot or Lowes should have good quality velcro. You can also get the contact cement there. If you're not in a rush, you can find velcro on ebay for a cheaper price. I'd recommend Velcro or 3M brands. Go for the 2" wide stuff and you should be good.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 AM
dabeam
Intermediate

I will follow your lead and head to Autozone. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$