Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
Has anyone tried to add or fabricate a set of hinges on older non-hinged hard bags? I'd like to hinge mine as they're kinda a PITA to mess with otherwise.
For the time, money and trouble, I'd just by the HD-Premium tourpack hinges and slap them on. $50 and ½ hour and be done with it (or 100 if you want two on each lid) or if you don't care that much about appearence, just get the stock tourpack hinges and rivet them on.

The following users liked this post:
bcop803 (09-16-2017)
Old 08-04-2012, 08:59 PM
duanew18
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that why I can't see pics? I have to post 5 post!s? Well this is number one

The following users liked this post:
bcop803 (09-16-2017)
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 AM
aundershaft
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY ALL THE WAY...FLHT mods

This site has saved my fanny more than once!!!

I have a 2008 FLHT Crimson Red Sunglo and have added the biketronics audio system with extra large speakers and the powered antenea, V & H true duals, stage one air kit, power commander V, had it tuned by chuck at throttle city in levittown, pa.

I am currently adding a tour pak and without the help of this site; would have been SOL.

I have pics and step by steps for most mods listed. Let me know if you need help.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
D.L.ANDER
Advanced

For those of you who would rather not drill the fairing for the garage opener mod i have an option. My opener fit with velcro beneath the two blank switches on the left side of my street glide. I soldered as shown on earlier posts, attached an hd switch for the odometer and drill the left blank toggle to hold the switch. Out of sight and yet easy access. Few have even noticed and the switch blank is an easy fix

Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

While putting on my rear tire i had trouble with keeping the brake side axle cam in place. Kept rolling back when trying to tighten it down. Put alittle anti seize on the back of the nut so the it wouldn't grab the cam plate...success.

Putting in them pesky light trim rings the bolt pulled through the mounting tab as theres no shoulder for the bolt head and nut to sit on. Found a small nut laying round and added it to bolt head side to add some diameter to it...success.

Clutch pak adjustment. The lock nut wouldn't loosen up. Kept rotating clutch pak while turning it. Put a socket wrench on it and gave it a 'smack dat ***' hit...success.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM
bglider
Tourer

Has anybody figured out a way to change all the guage lights out to a different color?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Bens05FLHPI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bglider
Has anybody figured out a way to change all the guage lights out to a different color?
Auto zone or other parts stores sell them take a stock bulb up there and they should be able to find what you want. Or ebay

Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 PM
bglider
Tourer

The small guages are easy, but how do you do the tach and speedo as they are sealed?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by bglider
The small guages are easy, but how do you do the tach and speedo as they are sealed?

Google H-D gauge lighting mods.

Seems the link is blocked here? Did I miss a pissing match somewhere?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Bugsy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to do the same thing to my garage door opener, but didn't have anyplace to hide it on my Dyna Wide Glide. Found a product called Flash2Pass. The transmitter (about 2" x 2" x 1/2") fit under my speedo and hooked up there as well. Add the garage receiver to the wall next to the original. A quick flick of the high beam on-off-on-off and it activates the garage door. Totally stealth install with no extra buttons or switches.

Last edited by Bugsy; 08-09-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: corrected product name

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$