Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW1200LT

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 12:02 AM
onedae
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BMW1200LT

I have both a Streetglide and a BMW R1200RT so maybeI can help. While the LT is different than an RT -an in line 4 cylinder vs a boxer twin, it is worth comparing because the typical BMW pluses and minuses apply to all BMW's. First, BMW's are much more expensive to maintain than Harley's if you are not in to doing your own wrenching. Second, whileI think BMW'sare engineered better than Harleys, their buildquality is not as good as Harley - so parts fail. And when that happens on the road, you are probably screwed because the dealer network oustside of the biggest cities really stinks. Third, BMW's are definitely better bikes in the twisties. Fourth, IMO, Harleys are simply more fun all around. As to the specifics of the LT vs an FLH, its a tough call. Go demo an LT at your local dealer (yes BMW dealers will let you take a good long demo ride) and see what youthink. Then consider the type of riding you are going to do - if you're mostly a cruiser or smell the roses kind of rider you will probably like the Harley better. If you are more of a go fast, canyon carver the LT may be a better fit. Both are great but if I had to only have one it would be the Streetglide.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:31 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I've ridden both, went back to a Glide. To me, the Glide is home. I don't know if youride 2-up, but my wife definately felt most comfortable on the Glide. Ride them both and then decide. It's what works for you that matters.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:36 AM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned a 2000 K1200LT. Great touring bike and my wife loved the back seat. In fact she once told me that I could have any bike I wanted as long as it had the LT's seat.One ofproblems I had with it is thefoot peg layout would cause my knees to start hurting after 50 miles. Back then no aftermarket support so could not find anything to fix that issue. The biggest problem for me was how tall the bike was. With a 30" inseam Iwason tiptoes at stops and with the bike close to 900 pounds I was in trobble if the road surface was not smooth. After the fourth time I dropped it I traded it. I did put around 22,000 miles on it that one year that I owned so you should test ride one or better yet rent one for a weekend and put some miles on to see how it works for you.
For me I am happy with my 03 RK. The longest I have ever owned one bike and I am looking forward to the next 5 years (or more) with it.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:49 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Great post! Why? Because I have been looking at new bikes also and was kind of wondering about the beemer. This was more information than I have found so far. Leave it to the HD crowd to come thru everytime!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 03:06 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser

I have owned a '99 K1200LT and an '05 R1150RT BMW. The LT's before '05 were tall like today but also very top heavy and almost scary around a parking lot. The steering geometry on LT's was changed for the better in '05. I am 6'2" andthe LTwas still a handfull at low speeds. Feel the tip over bumpers on the sides of most LT's and you will feel the rough places where the owners have dropped the bike. On the Interstate, however,it was smooth and had great wind resistance. RT's are a little too sporty in the riding position for me now (65 years old).

I now have an '08 Ultra and love the easy handling and the riding position.Like others have suggested, only you can tell which ride you prefer. Most BMW dealers are eager to let you take an LT out for a test ride. Do an A to B comparison and go for the one you like most. Harleys do have character that is missing in most of the competition IMHO. That last point is why I sold my '02 Honda Goldwing and got into Harleys.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I owned a K1200LT for 5 years. Traded it in on my RG. Of those 5 years, 3 were spent waiting for BMW to solve some of the problems with the LT. None of the problems were major problems, but added together they just made the bike less than I wanted.

The motor, while smooth, is small. 1171cc (if memory serves) is about 72 ci. It gets it's power from RPM. The LT is never ridden below 2500 rpm, & normally at 3000 to 4000. Real power is generated above 6000. That's just a little too busy for my personal touring preference. On rides with Harley mounted friends I had to anticipate their passing in traffic & gear down one or two gears to get the LT to respond with them. Of course when they pulled back into the right lane I was gaining at considerable speed & had to ride the brakes. That made group riding a little more effort. Single bike riding on interstate highways was a different story, the LT is difficult to beat. Pick a speed, any speed, set the cruise control, adjust the electric windshield, relax & enjoy the ride.

Another of the LT's weak points is the height of the seat & the center of gravity. It's a tall bike with a high center of gravity. Makes low speed handling more challenging & any surface other than paved highway extreemly difficult. I have a couple of scary memories of gravel roads! Even on pavement any lean at low speeds usually means you'll be pickin' the 800 lb + beast up.

BMW went through 3 modifications of the throttle cables before they got a version that didn't bind, but even then the throttle return springs seem to have come from a car. It always felt like there was a bowling ball on the end of the throttle. Cruise control is the only thing that made a long ride tollerable. On my RG, I forget that I have cruise.

I know I'm giving you all the faults of the LT, but it's actually a great bike. Smooth, fast, stable, & comfortable in it's element. It's problems lie where it gets out of it's element. For me Harley offers a broader set of riding parameters. If you have time to study the differences you should take a demo ride on an LT, & spend a little time on the LT forums. Like here, they're full of knowledgeable riders & good information.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08' Road Glide and just traded my Kawasaki Nomad in for a Yamaha FJR 1300 sport touring bike. Two entirely different creatures. Love them both. Whatever mood I am in that's what I ride. I have read articles about people riding the ST's all day long with very little fatigue. They are very fast, very smooth, agile and the fun factor is way up there. However if I were taking a long trip tomorrow it would be on the RG. I think the Harleys are posessed. Ride one for a while and you will see why people love them so much. I used to laugh at the Harley cult members until whatever it is with the Harleys reached up out of the engine and grabbed me. I am hooked. I think there will always be a Harley in my garage. T.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Jager
Cruiser

As others have said, they are totally different bikes. I've been riding BMW's for years and currently have a R1200GS and a K1200RS. The RS is the same basic bike as the LT, albeit in a more sporty package. The LT makes a lot more power than the Ultra, and handles much better in the twisties. But it's also top-heavy and can be a handful at parking lot speeds. It's also a very smooth bike. The Ultra has the soul of a Harley, of course, and all the intangibles that represents. In terms of basic touring prowess, they're both terrific machines. They just come at that get-down-the-road-with-style-and-comfort equation from very different viewpoints.

Ride 'em both and see what you like.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 AM
GreyGhost
Cruiser

I'm with Ultrasweet, There's something that is different about a Harley, (which you know since you have a couple). I just got my first H D (08 RKC) after 30 years or so of owning and riding bikes, and my other favorites have been BMWs. I still have an 02 R1150R boxer twin which is probably the best all around bike I've ever had. (haven't been on it since getting the HD though!). I've had two of the K 4 cyl bikes and they were both great trouble free bikes, but I like the twins better and they are easier to work on and maintain if you're a do it yourselfer. One thing to consider, is that the K LT is the last BMW to use that longitudinal "lay down" engine, so it may be on it's way out. The new K bikes are a completely different design and layout. That being said, I think good deals can be had on the bikes. In fact a friend just bought one from a dealer in Atlanta and said he couldn't pass up the deal after wanting a new Goldwing. Try to ride one and see what you think, but also give the 1200 twins a HARD look. YMMV

[IMG]local://upfiles/47403/315210433CCA4CE39A6751B9D7C1778D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-09-2007, 09:18 AM
dv102
Road Captain

I'd go with the ultra, Hds are much easier to maintain and are in a class all their own, and have a better resale value. From what I heard the beamers are having problems with rear drive failures, If you want to read more on these go to the Iron Butt website and read about the failures from this year. Comparing to the IBR may be extreme but you can get the feeling that the writer is a little disgusted with the beamers quality over the last few years.

Quick Reply: BMW1200LT