Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod and my 06 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:55 PM
allyall
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod and my 06 Street Glide

I want to use my Ipod and run it through the HK stereo. What is the best way? Someone told me to get a 1/8 x 1/8 cable and go to the stereo input to the headphone jack. Apple said to buy a ITrip device, and said they thought that might not work out in the country.
What's best ?

Old 01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
MiniMe
Road Master
Default RE: Ipod and my 06 Street Glide

I think that would be the easiest hook up to do. I believe the stereo does have that input on the front.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:49 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

I got a std cable, and run it from the IPOD to the input on the lower right side of the radio. IT RAWKS... Unfortunately, bike has to get the radio replaced, CD players skipping alot.... a 24 inch cable works great!

Old 01-06-2006, 01:51 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOSTAZ,

Can you post a pic of it when you get time Thanks.
ORIGINAL: GOSTAZ

I got a std cable, and run it from the IPOD to the input on the lower right side of the radio. IT RAWKS... Unfortunately, bike has to get the radio replaced, CD players skipping alot.... a 24 inch cable works great!

Old 01-06-2006, 02:08 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

The only problem with the itrip device or other fm tuners is that if you live in an area that has a very crowded radio dial (few stations with nothing on them) it will be hard to find a good station to have it set to. I currently have my ipod in the tourpack hooked up with a monster charger/fmtuner and then an ijet remote so i can still control it. And I dont have to worry about battery life. No idea what kind of connections are on the back of the new stereo but I would prefer to keep things hidden as much as possible.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:12 PM
jdag
Tourer

Both work well.

You can pick up a cable for about $5 at Radio Shack. They work like a charm.

The iTrip is a little more useful (you can use it in any car, no wires), but comes with some gotchas. You need to be tuned to an open frequency. Better yet, to a frequency that has no "neighboring" stations. As you ride, there could be some interference as you near other cities. The iTrip units are about $30.

I actually find that the best bet is to simply burn an MP3 CD. I have a couple of CDs in my bags with about 175 songs per CD. That is a lot of music, and then everything is integrated into the stereo (no need to pull an iPod out of my pocket to change songs). With blank CDs about $0.10/ea I can make CD mixes anytime.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

Have to wait until I get home, but if you don't mind a dirty bike, I will do it tonight. I have a 60 GB IPOD, but I don't think the jack sizes are different.... Check in with the forum after 8 pm EST....

Old 01-06-2006, 02:43 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jdag

I actually find that the best bet is to simply burn an MP3 CD. I have a couple of CDs in my bags with about 175 songs per CD. That is a lot of music, and then everything is integrated into the stereo (no need to pull an iPod out of my pocket to change songs). With blank CDs about $0.10/ea I can make CD mixes anytime.
Exactly.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:22 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

Also if you want a clean instalation that works well there is the harley mp3 player that uses sd cards and mounts right at the controlls for eas of use.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:05 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

Here is a pic. What you are looking for is the little black cable at the bottom right of the radio. It is a standard Stereo cable. 1/8 " male on both ends. I agree with the other folks that burning the MP3 discs is the easiest thing to do, and I will once the dealer, HD, and Harmon Kardon decide who is gonna pay to have a working radio installed in this bike. Since this will probably take some time, I figured I would get a cable and at least have something to listen to. And right now, I have the IPOD, and the cable, and about 2000 songs... More than a little irate about the whole CD player thing.... But that is another story.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7003/46C13BA16D8D486C90222C6C60A3BB4A.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Ipod and my 06 Street Glide