Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUYER QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
tl vette
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUYER QUESTIONS

i am thinking of buying a RKC and i have a couple of question. currently i have a dyna low rider and i have had a blast riding it and changing it. most of my riding is local, say 50 miles radius, and i have changed the seat, handlebars, and pags to make it comfortable for me. but a buddy of mine has a beautiful RKC that he is selling at a deal i feel i have to really look at. ok here are my questions:
1) i am 6-1 and i undertsand that a tall rider may not be so comfortable on the custom. i changed the forward pegs on my current bike to be extended 2" so i can let my legs be more comfortable. did i get some bad info here? do the floor boards and seat make things close on a taller rider? i also undertsand the handlebars do not help because they come back so far. this makes you feel like to have to sit up very straight and have to hold on to the bars very tight. again this is what i read.
2) rigid ride: they say the custom with only 2" of travel in the rear shocks is a bit stiff. one reason i am looking to go road king is for a better ride than what i have. what do you guys think? the larger front tire alone should make the ride a little better than what i have now.
3) the handlebars come back too far for a tall rider. again what i read. changing the bars is not really a big deal so this is not real important but i am curious. i like the look of the bars on the stock model.
of course i will ride this one first but just looking for input from you all as to what you like or don't and what suggestions you have.

oh and if the bike has air shocks, can only the dealer set the pressure? i was thinking if the ride was stiff, i might change the pressure or the shock itself.
Thanks
TL

Old 01-04-2008, 01:50 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain
Default RE: BUYER QUESTIONS

I just brought a corbin seat it moved me back 2 inches so now the bars and boards are great dont need replacing

Old 01-04-2008, 01:56 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Sorry forgot to add you can get stock 13 inch shocks for next to nothing on flee bay

Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Suggest you go with stock bvars,get ULTRA shocks and a tallboy seat. These changes will make all the difference.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do anything you want with the Custom. The handlebars can be changed, you can extend the floorboards and controls and change the seat. You will never look back. Yes, the fatter front tire will make a big difference.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 PM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The custom rides great. The beach bars take a little getting used too not because the are too close but they are wider than other bars. After you get used to them you will love them. You can set the air suspenion yourself no big deal you will need a suspension pump. I think they are about 30 bucks.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with the RKC> You wont be sorry. Can do the mods down the road after you get a real time feel for the bike.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your 6-1 , riding a low rider and your worried about fitting on a road king????

Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

You can adjust the shocks yourself with a $40 pump. While I am "only" 5'8" and my bike is the RK standard, I can't believe being 6'1" is a problem on that bike. The ride will be better than your Dyna but ultimately you need to ride it and decide for yourself if is all that you expect from the bike.

Oh, and when you say RKC most people will think you mean a Classic. So be prepared for many apples/oranges answers.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:44 PM
tl vette
Cruiser

thanks for all the info. i have changed my dynato make it more comfortable which is why it fits well for me and the bars i have are pretty wide so that should not feel too strange. but it sounds like i can change the Custom to what i need as well. i will check the ride as i should anyway. but the info above was something i would not have known going in.the bike already has a mustang touring seat so right there i will get more comfort.i was more concerned about how much work it would be to change it up. it sounds like that is not a big deal. who knows i may not need to anyway.thanks again.