Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ + Road King Classic Warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default HQ + Road King Classic Warning

I had 2 post today and both have been warnings.

I haven't ridden my bike in a week and was jonesing. I got off work today to take a quick spin. As I entered the freeway there was a large SUV in the next lane but traveling pretty fast. Since I'm still having fun with my HQ build I decided to twist the throttle to get out of the way instead of letting the SUV pass. I went from 40 mph to 70 mph like the wind. Well when I got to 70 mph the bike began to wobble like crazy. I almost lost control. I pulled over and check my tires and they were a little low. Got some air and tried it again. This time I got to 60 mph and the wobble was still there. I called my buddy (HD mechanic) and he said I probably have loose spokes on the rear wheel. That's usually the problem. He came by and indeed my spokes wereextremely loose. This puzzled us because he did my 10K service and had just done my spokes. We kept kicking around ideas and concluded that this new HQ build is producing so much power, it's knocking my spokes loose. We aren't 100% sure but we are going to tighten the spokes tomorrow and see how long before they are loose again. So if you have spoke wheels and an engine upgrade you may want to monitor your spokes.

I'm praying that they become loose again. Why? Bling Bling!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: HQ + Road King Classic Warning

Oh @ 10,000 miles I never had a loosespoke. @ 13,000 almost everyspoke was loose. And no front spokes were loose.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Bluking06
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does this mean that I will have to get rid of the Fat Daddy's when I decide to my upgrade?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 PM
fishafly
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rod...

The blingage is caaaallling....

Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 PM
mcline_1968
Advanced

that is exactly why alot of Police Depts are going to the beemer as opposed to the harley.
The harley's are not safe at high speed.
Although 70-80 really isnt what i would consider high speed.

I have a good friend (motor officer) that his police harley wiped out at about 90 MPH because it started wobbling like you are describing. back tire actually started bouncing off the ground. Nearly killed him.

Be careful on these things at 80+. I just wonder how many of you guys upgrade to a more race type suspension when you build these monster motors or are you just trusting that this bike that was designed for an 88-96 cui motor will hold up to a race spec build?

You cant just shove a corvette motor in a sunbird and expect the rest of the car to hold up.

Just be careful guys, thats all I am saying.

Thats gonna leave a mark!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:11 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think I need a race suspension on my bike. Yes I have more power now, but it's not racing powering. I'm sure I'm notstunning anyone withmy quarter mile time. I would say my Harley is safe at high speed. I have been up to 110 on my build and the bike ran smooth and no issues. The only reason Ihad this issue was loose spokes. Did your buddy have spokes on his bike? Harley tells you, you have to keep them tighten.

Terry,

As far as the fat daddy spokes I don't think they can be tighten so you should be fine. I really don't have to get rid of my spokes I will just have to check them more often that 10K miles, but don't tell my wife.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member

Fish,

Did you do your build yet?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Yet another reason me and spoked wheels dont get along. Yea....sure on a MX bike, or a trail rig.....but on a big street bike, they are a thing of the past IMHO. A mag wheel looks better IMHO....will stay balanced better, requires no maintenance, and should you get a flat....can be rigged on the side of the road with a "fix a flat kit", where with a tube type tire/wheel set-up, you do not have this lux.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:42 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Been there done that and not on a HiPo motor. My spokes loosened the first time at 31k miles. True and tightened them. At 62k, I put it on a lift and checked everything including spokes before leaving on a trip. Less than 200 miles into the trip, the loosened, quickly. I ended up with a ruined hub and a trailer ride home. I solved the problem with a 1200C rear wheel.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/197008AEDAFC4D1DBCAC3DA25621CA0E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/E898F25AD3E144EDBDD244C744E01389.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-10-2008, 06:46 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

Yet another reason me and spoked wheels dont get along.

A mag wheel looks better IMHO....will stay balanced better, requires no maintenance,

should you get a flat....can be rigged on the side of the road with a "fix a flat kit", where with a tube type tire/wheel set-up, you do not have this lux.
DITTO!!!!

Quick Reply: HQ + Road King Classic Warning