Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me make the Ultramet choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:48 AM
62trvler
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me make the Ultramet choice

OK, here goes. Been in Iraq over 3 years now and saved enough to build a house on my paid for land and pay cash for a 08 Ultra. I'll be debt free except for utilities.

I was just informed my 78 year old parents that they need to sell their farm due to dire straights, my inheritance, that borders my land andthe reason I went out of my way to purchase my land and was planning on starting a farm. I offered to help them out monthly but Pa says no he is going to sell to the Amish which we all despise in the area. That would mean I will be surrounded by Amish and not be able to farm but have to put up with their animals and wild dogs.

The only way to keep this Land in the family is for me to buy them out with everthing I have and live in some small garage building and of course forget about owning the Ultra.

Should I build the house, buy the bike, and let the farm go.........
OR buy the farm........

I need a drink

Old 01-19-2008, 03:52 AM
husker1
Intermediate
Default RE: help me make the Ultramet choice

BUY THE FARM, ONLY SO MUCH LAND, BESIDES WHO WANTS CRAPPY NEIGHBORS

Old 01-19-2008, 03:57 AM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will always be motorcycles to buy. The farm sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime thing; once it is gone .... You'll make the right decision for you. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:08 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the farm If there is timber, do enough to get your bike and set back and laugh at the Amish... There is always money in real estate Its a safe bet to make money it always seems to go up in value....

Old 01-19-2008, 04:11 AM
shawn8255
3rd Gear

They dont make land anymore, they make Harleys everyday. Buy the farm.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:16 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 606 Likes on 328 Posts

First off Welcome Home,dont sell the farm,as life changes from day to day the bike will probably come in due time if it is meant to be.Hang on to the property as long as you can,chances are in a bit of time and it does fly by Good things come to those that wait.Best of luck

Old 01-19-2008, 04:20 AM
hdtrader
Cruiser

Welcome home and thank-you. My advice is to buy the land...then trade the land to me for my new Ultra.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:11 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Follow your heart and good sense. I didnt know the Amish were so bad.Life is short and fleeting. Sleep on it and make your decision on whats best for you and your family.That could be a bike,farm,neither or both.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:15 AM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yo Dude tax free money for 3 years your way ahead of the game, who says you have to pay cash for the farm which you need to buy NOW! finance the land which is about the only thing left that will give you tax credit, besides you can always sell the land later if things don't work out or you change your mind, the Amish will always be ready with cash in hand, options is what your buying but once the land is gone it's NO going back! Finance the farm pay cash for the Ultra it's win win for you that's what I'd do just my .02 cents worth...

Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,754 Likes on 1,564 Posts

ORIGINAL: SSJ

Yo Dude tax free money for 3 years your way ahead of the game, who says you have to pay cash for the farm which you need to buy NOW! finance the land which is about the only thing left that will give you tax credit, besides you can always sell the land later if things don't work out or you change your mind, the Amish will always be ready with cash in hand, options is what your buying but once the land is gone it's NO going back! Finance the farm pay cash for the Ultra it's win win for you that's what I'd do just my .02 cents worth...
Solid advice.

Or.....sounds like they have crappy neighbors already, so why buy into that?
Sell the farm, then set Mom and Dad up in a kick-a$$ low maintenance mountain home next to your new low maintenance mountain home and ride Deals Gap and stuff likeeveryday.
Oh wait...thats my plan.

BTW, if you haven't heard it's a buyers market right now. You can get houses pretty cheap nearly everywhere. I'm seriously looking at a place up the mountains for like 125K. Thats cheap for 2000 Sqft.

lp

Quick Reply: help me make the Ultramet choice