Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Seat on '08 UC - Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Mustang Seat on '08 UC - Review

Just a couple comments on my new Mustang One-Piece Touring seat (model 76206) with driver's backrest (model 79067) for an '08 UC...

Quality and Fit..

The fit and finish of the seat and backrest is excellent. All surfaces are neat, clean, and smooth. Stitching is properly aligned and evenly spaced. Color and texture are very close to stock HD TP backrest.

Installation...

The Mustang backrest was simple and straight-forward. No parts to assemble and battery box clip was included. I did find the supplied bolt (battery box clip) to be too long (I was concerned the bolt may dig into the fender) so I replaced it with a shorter one.

Seat simply slides down over the backrest bracket and forward to engage front tongue. No gap between seat and tank. Rear seat bolt was difficult to align and start (seat pan was cold...required some help from my trusty assistant).

Driver's backrest was installed through opening in seat back and clicked in place. Forward/aft adjustment was easy and positive. Rest was solid and did not slop around.

Fit...

Mustang's online site states - "The seat is lower than stock so the rider can plant his feet on the ground." To me, the seat does seem to allow me to sit slightly further back but I did not really notice any difference in height. The front of the seat seems a bit narrower than the stock allowing for easier ground reach (this may give the seat a slightly "closer to the ground" feel when stopped).

Comfort...

The stock seat caused me to slide down and forward making for an uncomfortable seating position within minutes. The Mustang seems to have a more pronounced "bucket" allowing me to remain seated with no need to re-adjust. Sitting in one position for an extended period of time is now no problem. Like most have reported, the addition of the backrest is really helpful for trips longer than a few minutes.

Note: I have no affiliations with Mustang and provide this review freely and willingly. All disclaimers apply.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Mustang Seat on '08 UC - Review

Pine Tree: Extraordinarily well-organized and concise review--if Consumer Reports ever needs a reviewer of motorcycle products, I hope they hire you.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:16 PM
jahays32
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need pics of the seat installed and the price paid otherwise this thread is worthless

Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Scootr
Road Master

Nice review. If I ever decide I don't like my Sundowner I might give this one a shot. Thanks.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Troy.R.H
Cruiser

I had a Mustang one piece touring seat on my '02 RK and was very happy with both it's appearance and comfort. I was a little disappointed when I wasn't able to use it on my '08 RK but so far both myself and my wife have been satisfied with the '08 stock seat.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

ORIGINAL: jahays32

We need pics of the seat installed and the price paid otherwise this thread is worthless
As soon as I hit the "send" button, I thought about the pics...will put that on my "to do" list.

Prices? I purchased directly from Mustang at their advertised Web prices. Seat: $439, backrest: $259. No one locally had them in stock or offered the 10-day return policy.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 PM
*Shadow*
Cruiser

I bought the same type for my previous bike (Honda Sabre). It was the best upgrade that everdone that bike

Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great review, I'm now thinking a bit harder about Mustang

Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
AZ RKC
Advanced

I have had Mustang seats on all of my bikes. To me it is the best upgrade for the money.
I put one on my 07 Roadking with out drivers backrest for $320